DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Drill Press Chuck

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  blue sky 
#1 ·
Hi all. I need to replace the chuck on my drill press and want to know a couple things before I buy one. The press is an Intergram Machine Tool (1979 model) 3/4 hp, 12 speed, and has the original 5/8" keyed chuck; I want a keyless 5/8". So here are my questions - can I simply buy any keyless 5/8" chuck and expect it to fit (are all arbors the same size)? Also, will any brand chuck fit my press? Basically, are all chucks made in a "standard" size?

Also, if anyone can recommend a high quality chuck, please let me know. I'm considering this one in the link below.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRI...re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
It should fit, that looks like a copy of a Jacobs chuck. No clue how an import copy will work out.

Keep in mind there's going to be a left hand thread screw locking that chuck in place.
Most are an allen screw. Open the chuck up all the way insert the wrench and rap it with a hammer in a right to left motion.
Once the screws out, lock the allen wrench in the jaws of the chuck. A few taps with a hammer should get it started.

#4 ·
Sure does, it refures to the size of the tapered arbor that hold the chuck in place.
The JT refures to Jacobs taper since they were the standard in the industry for many years.
I'm trying to find a chart to give you an idea.

#8 ·
Blue,
sure you want a keyless chuck in a drill press? I have two drill presses. Even thow the key takes a few seconds to change, it is definitely tighter and more secure than a keyless chuck. When I use a drill press, it is first off because I want a perpendicular hole. But secondly, it is because I'm using larger twist drills, forstner bits, wire wheels, etc. I have at least a half dozen cordless drills with keyless chucks. They work well for that but I'm not using large bits in them. Just my .02
Mike Hawkins:)

#10 ·
I wasn't aware that keyless chucks didn't tighten as well as keyed chucks. Other than the convenience, it doesn't really matter to me which one I get, I thought they were just as good and might as well try it out since I need to replace it anyway. The most important thing to me is getting a part that I'll be happy with for years down the line. Thanks for your .02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.