Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #1

Share |

Repair vs. New

Please bear with my long story. This a.m. I get my trusty Milwaukee cordless drill to do a short task at work. It gives me a couple short grunts, and quits.
Go back to get second battery but put in charger first to check the lights for charge. It shows Green (full charge), put it in drill and same deal - couple turns and quits.
This winter will be it's second year and I hadn't used the drill for around a week.
It's kept in the house so the summer heat couldn't be the problem. I find it hard to imagine both batteries going dead at once. Finish my work project with my old Ryobi NiClad drill.
The Milwaukee is a lithium 2601-22 18V. If anyone is familiar with this, it has a set of indicator lights on the battery. When in the charger the Green light is on, but no lights on any of the batteries.

So, I'm looking at buying 2 batteries and possibly a charger: it could even be the drill itself
Or just go shopping for a new drill/driver.

What would you people do? About how much are lithium batteries?

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
STAFF

Repair vs. New

You can just about buy a new drill with batteries and charger for what two new batteries cost.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-22-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
the Musigician

Repair vs. New

Did it come with any other attachments? (flashlight maybe?) Test the batteries in that.
orrrrr... take the batteries to the store with you and ask them to test them in a display model?
My old Milwaukee 9v drill lasted for many years before it died.... I miss that thing.....

DM
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #4

Repair vs. New

The Milwaukee is just a drill w/ 2 batteries & charger. While the Ryobi did come with a flashlight.
I bought it at H. Depot and wonder if customer service will even want to mess with it.
Can't hurt anything by trying.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
In a little over my head

Repair vs. New

It looks like you're in Richmond. Why not take it to the Milwaukee Service Center and see what they say?
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/PartsAn...roductTypeId=0
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #6

Repair vs. New

I ended up taking it back to H.Depot where the tool guy was pretty helpful. He opened a universal charger to check my batteries but it didn't work with these.
Supposedly Milwaukee had a battery recall, that's why the new model drills have M18 marked on them.
Pretty sure I registered the tool but I didn't hear about it. It's been shipped to their warranty/repair place in N.C. and I should hear something in a couple weeks.
New batteries are right at $70 ea. so if they aren't covered, I'll buy another drill kit.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #7

Repair vs. New

Update. Today is two weeks since I dropped my drill off at H.D. An associate called this a.m. saying my drill is back and there was no charge.
H.D. even refunded the $35 I had to put down for the tool to be sent.

2 new M18 batteries/trigger switch and motor. They even put new housing halves on, as mine had some white paint I somehow got on it. More or less, a brand new drill all covered by warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tizzer For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (07-29-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #8

Repair vs. New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
Please bear with my long story. This a.m. I get my trusty Milwaukee cordless drill to do a short task at work. It gives me a couple short grunts, and quits.
Hey Tizzer
I have the same problem as you with same model of drill (which I love, BTW). HD really came thru for you!
New batteries are expensive, so I complained to Milwaukee who sent me a warranty form (drill is 4 yrs old). That didn't fly as the batteries were obviously too old. Shot another email to the warranty desk which (in the true spirit of Christmas), actually comped me 2 new batteries!! Makes me want to go out and treat myself to another Milwaukee tool for Christmas.

mike1900 is offline   Reply With Quote