Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Removing blade from old Craftsman circular saw.

I inherited my father's old Craftsman circular saw (model 315.109010, circa 1980ish) which no longer has the manual. I've searched the net and haven't found a manual there either.

So I'm having trouble removing the blade. First off, on this model does it follow the lefty loosey, or the opposite way. I've tried both to no avail. Also, I can find no spindle lock, so I'm having to stop the blade with a screw driver. The problem is that the nut is turning and I think the spindle is turning with it, even though the blade is not. There's a black disc underneath the nut that is also turning (see pic.) I tried some WD-40 but that hasn't freed things up.

So does anyone know...

1)If there's a spindle lock on this model
2)Does it follow lefty loosey, or the opposite
3)Any ideas on how to free this nut? (Not me, the one on the saw.)

Steve S.
Attached Images

Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I finally got it. I managed to get a vice-grip around that disc. The nut turned out to be lefty loosey.

Steve S.

Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just to help out anyone else doing this in the future...

The retaining bolt HAS to tighten against the rotation, otherwise it would quickly spin the blade right off as the motor started.And therefore, it has to loosen WITH the rotation.

Almost all blade bolts turn as you try to loosen them. It's kind of a poor man's clutch action. The trick is to put a box end wrench on the bolt, and give it a strong, sharp, quick blow in the direction of the arrow on the blade. (I use a 1' piece of 2 x 2) It will almost always come right off on the first attempt.

The best way to hold the blade is to prepare a piece of 2 x 6 beforehand, and keep it around just for the purpose of removing blades. You set your saw at about 1/4", and drop it into the 2 x 6, (Running) cutting a small groove about 2" long.

Now, when you want to change a blade, you simply lower the blade another 1/8 to 3/16 inch deeper, and set it down in that groove (not running). A little pressure downward on the saw will keep the blade from turning, and will keep the saw fairly stable while you whack the wrench. It also has the added advantage of keeping the teeth shielded...... they won't be apt to nick your fingers, and you won't chip the little carbide tips with anything metal used to stop rotation.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ratherbefishing (03-02-2012), Tom Struble (06-27-2010), woodworkbykirk (03-01-2012)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
.................................The best way to hold the blade is to prepare a piece of 2 x 6 beforehand, .......... You set your saw at about 1/4", and drop it into the 2 x 6, (Running) cutting a small groove about 2" long...........
Willie, that's great advice.
When I read Steve's problem, I went out to the garage to see if I could find my 1960's all metal Craftsman circular saw. I must have thrown it out years ago. The thing weighed a ton. Now I wish I would have saved it.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Willie, that's great advice.
When I read Steve's problem, I went out to the garage to see if I could find my 1960's all metal Craftsman circular saw. I must have thrown it out years ago. The thing weighed a ton. Now I wish I would have saved it.
Bob,
Just about everything Sears made back in the 60's was top shelf. I had an old metal 3/8" drill for decades. Let a couple of dumb kids use it for drilling top plate (2 x 8). They ruined it in less than an hour.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

School will do that to kids. School in the 60's probably had a better shop class.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,030

The safest, quickest, easiest way to get a stuck blade off a saw is to use an impact wrench. Set it to turn the same way the blade does, and you don't even need to hold the blade. Spins the bolt/nut right out.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Just to share, and maybe give you a chuckle: Back in the late '60's and early '70's I worked for a framing contractor during the summers of high school. He bought those great older Craftsman circular saws and always seemed to have more than one on the job, but--He would be the one to cut the roof sheathing when we had decked out the roof and for some reason he had this bad habit of not watching where the electrical cord was. You guessed it, he would cut the cord of the saw while it was in use. He would get so mad at what he had done he would just draw back and throw the saw as far as he could, tell someone to go get him another @#$&*^ saw out of the truck and keep going as if nothing happened. Who wound up with the saws he threw away, me of course. The first time I saw him do that, I just picked up the saw at the end of the day, took it home and repaired the cord, and took it back to him. He would not have that any saw that would cut it's own cord! So, he told me I could have them. At one point, I'm not joking, I had nine (9) saws he had thrown off of the roofs. These were to older, seems like 20# saws, back then. I sold them through word-of-mouth years ago. I do wish I had one or two of them now.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Crazy, but lovable

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Just to share, and maybe give you a chuckle: Back in the late '60's and early '70's I worked for a framing contractor during the summers of high school. He bought those great older Craftsman circular saws and always seemed to have more than one on the job, but--He would be the one to cut the roof sheathing when we had decked out the roof and for some reason he had this bad habit of not watching where the electrical cord was. You guessed it, he would cut the cord of the saw while it was in use. He would get so mad at what he had done he would just draw back and throw the saw as far as he could, tell someone to go get him another @#$&*^ saw out of the truck and keep going as if nothing happened. Who wound up with the saws he threw away, me of course. The first time I saw him do that, I just picked up the saw at the end of the day, took it home and repaired the cord, and took it back to him. He would not have that any saw that would cut it's own cord! So, he told me I could have them. At one point, I'm not joking, I had nine (9) saws he had thrown off of the roofs. These were to older, seems like 20# saws, back then. I sold them through word-of-mouth years ago. I do wish I had one or two of them now.
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
He would not have that any saw that would cut it's own cord!
Great Story
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

I have an early 70's vintage 7" circular saw and it does have an arbor lock. There is a small metal button between the saw/motor housing and the blade guard. You have to rotate the blade by hand while pressing the button and it will finally drop into a detent. this allows you to loosen the blade with a wrench.
RonBrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #12

Because that's a side-winder. Left hand saw, not blade right as in the o.p. I have a Skilsaw 7-1/4" metal handle gear drive I bought in '73, and B&D 7-1/4". Still have those and two 6-1/2" Skil's L.H., I bought in the '80's because they were four pounds lighter than the 7's. Before the mag's came out, employees would pick (jerk) them up and almost throw them over their shoulder because they look just like the 7's. I never got tired of that! lol. That was a good one, Thurman!
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #13

Thanks micromind. The impact wrench got my blade off easily. Great trick.
Beagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #14

I'm ready loos the bolt, the blade is loos, and the bolt spin along whit the motor , what is next?.....
the#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #15

The impact wrench works easily. You don't even have to hold the blade.

Beagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote