Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

regular Sawzall vs Orbital Sawzall

I was looking at Milwaukee's Sawzall's. I saw a 12 amp for $99 and a 12 amp orbital one for 149.

Whats the difference?

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

If you use a Sawzall as hard as I do, you will appreciate the orbital action when cutting larger or tough materials, the ability to choose the stroke is a real plus for me.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

the blade path I think. 1 is linear, and the other move in an orbital path. it should be more aggressive, and probably vibrate a bit less if I had to guess. I never tried one.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabber View Post
If you use a Sawzall as hard as I do, you will appreciate the orbital action when cutting larger or tough materials, the ability to choose the stroke is a real plus for me.

I'm not planning on using one everyday, but there are times when I need one and then have to borrow someones...is 50 bucks extra worth it if I'm not gonna use one all the time?
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #5

No it's not worth it for occasional use. Orbital action cuts a bit faster, but is only good for straight line cutting. A cut that takes 12 seconds with a regular sawzall will take 9 seconds with orbital action.

I have the $99 Milwaukee. Used it extensively during my current renovation. Thought I would use it only now and then but it is a much more versatile tool than I had expected and I have used it a lot. But even so the one I bought is more than I need most times. It's a beast.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

I have the orbital version, bear in mind it can be used either as orbital or straight line cut. As noted, the orbital is faster, but the most important factor in speed of cut is having a sharp blade. I usually use orbital when doing demolition work on tough boards with nails, most of the time I use straight line action, easier to control the cut. I too have found the Sawzall to be very useful for a wide range of projects, but it seems to be an absolute necessity on framing demolition work. I can't imagine doing the demo work for my exterior French doors or the demolition of a load bearing wall between kitchen and dining room without it. As for the extra $50, it isn't that much money in the big scheme of things, could be worth it, I certainly think it was, but consider I am amortizing this tool over at least ten years.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 506

I just bought that $99 Milwaukee to replace a Ryobi that still worked, but had a cranky blade clamp. The red saw runs circles around the blue one. No regrets at all. Save the $50 for your next tool.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

And a super sawzall adds a anti vibration counterbalance which works quite well saving your hands the vibration!
toolaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,110

one thing that no one has stated is that the orbital action is for cutting wood only,, do not use it for cutting metal such as nails. for cutting metals run it on straight cut mode
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolaholic View Post
And a super sawzall adds a anti vibration counterbalance which works quite well saving your hands the vibration!
That's an incredibly important point. Most of what I use my sawzall for is pretty limited....a 10-15 second cut and for that it has been great. but I have done a few longer cuts with it and the vibration is really noticeable in the $99 model. If you're going to be doing numerous longer cuts then I can see the anti-vibration feature of the super being a real arm saver.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 542

Definitely agree with this. Not an issue for occasional light use but for frequent or heavy use vibes can be a real problem. I used my Dewalt for cutting some 6x6 treated posts while building a deck a few years ago and my hands weren't right for a couple days after. That thing really beat them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
That's an incredibly important point. Most of what I use my sawzall for is pretty limited....a 10-15 second cut and for that it has been great. but I have done a few longer cuts with it and the vibration is really noticeable in the $99 model. If you're going to be doing numerous longer cuts then I can see the anti-vibration feature of the super being a real arm saver.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,110

that sounds about right for a dewalt.. their recips are one of the worst.. underpowered and they burn out easily..

the makita avt and the milwaukees are the best ones available. i hear bosch makes a decent one also but still have yet to try one

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote