Reciprocating Saw... Cordless Vs Corded - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Reciprocating Saw... Cordless vs Corded

I want to buy a reciprocating saw for trimming/cutting down some small trees and other projects around the house. I'm trying to decide if I should get a bosch 18v cordless

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

or a corded orbital one like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Some of the branches are pretty large(8 inches thick) and I dont want to not have enough power so im leaning towards the corded one. However I already have a few bosch 18v tools and 3 battery packs so if that will get the job done I would rather have that one. Opinions?

Advertisement

fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

For what you’re wanting to do I’d get the Milwaukee. 8” is a pretty big branch for a sawzall but it will work.

Be sure to buy the actual “pruning blades”, even the normal wood blades will just gum up and not cut well on a branch that big.

You really should be using a chainsaw.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,612

You want cordless.....makes it a lot easier when your climbing up in a tree...

Do you have any other cordless tools? If so, you want to stay in the same brand so you can use the same batteries.

I have the Ryobi....I've used the dog crap out of mine and it's still doing fine.

Like Kwick said...get the right blade....but you can get a good 12" pruning blade for just about all of them. I use mine all the time for cutting branches.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I'd go cordless as I hate dragging cords around. Especially for trees where you may be out in the yard, up a ladder, at an awkward angle, etc. you will have to make sure you have a charged battery and you won't be using it all day but unless you're a pro it's doubtful you will be using it 8 hours straight.
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

I use my recip saw for the same purposes all the time in my yard. Although I'm not cutting branches quite as thick as yours, my corded saw has done me fine. I've cut down small trees and 6" x 6"'s with it and I've never regretted getting a corded recip.

An 18V recip won't give you the same performance as a corded tool, and when the log binds on the blade you will find that the 18v tool will just bog where it will take more for that to happen to a corded tool. Also, the orbital action on a recip is a necessary feature. It really makes it easier to get through material.

Yes the cord can get in the way and can be a pain, but if you're not using it too often I would always go corded.

I hope this helps. Cheers and Merry Christmas.
Carreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 534

While both will do the job for that big a limb I'd using my electric chain saw. (corded)
There cheap to buy, always starts, light weight, suprizingly powerfull.
I bought mine many years ago to use inside old houses when doing demo work so there would not be any CO2 to deal with.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_118147-86886...7C1&facetInfo=

Last edited by joecaption; 12-20-2012 at 09:35 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
You really should be using a chainsaw.

Using a cordless saw to cut 8" thick, live tree branches is a good challenge for the tool and batteries. Better have an arm-powered hack saw handy in case you run out of batteries and can't finish cutting the branch.

Also be sure you know the correct way to cut tree branches. It is a lot easier if you do it right.
jeffsw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

If you're only going to have one reciprocating saw, I would stick with corded. Especially if you only use it occasionally. Cordless are convenient when the battery is charged AND when the battery is still good AND when the job isn't that big. A corded one will always work.
Also if you think long term, corded is better. I bought my reciprocating saw over 25 years ago and will probably get another 25 years out of it. Granted, they didn't even have cordless ones then, but you get the point.
wrongdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrongdave For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

8" thick? I vote for chainsaw too.
I like the idea of getting new tools, but I already have a chainsaw and a corded sawzall ( yes it is a milwaukee) and the chainsaw gets the vote for outdoors all the time. even for small branches, when you have to plan every cut with a sawzall, its a pain. with the chainsaw, I just zip through my cuts without having to worry about binding too much. ( properly knowing how to cut a branch is important. for you AND for the tree)
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

I love my orbital 3/4 stroke 18volt nicad v18 lithium ion milwaukee hatchet. I'm amazed at what it can cut through. Just use milwaukee 9 or 12 inch pruning blades. I also have a makita 4.5 inch 12 volt cordless chainsaw and a corded Husqvarna 316E corded 16 inch chainsaw. Both cut faster than a sawzall for limbs.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,648

Local rental, get extendable trimmer. Has like a little chainsaw on the end, extends up to 17 feet then you don't even need the ladder.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,140

if your getting a recip to do this get the corded.. cordless recips only get about 5 minutes of cutting time out of a battery 10 tops and they cut about 1/2 as fast as a corded model. if you have quite a few branches to cut theres a good chance youll be standing around waiting for batteries to charge more than your actually cutting.

i have a makita 10 amp recip and the larger 15 amp avt.. the 15 amp is the best recip on the market. milwaukee was until " one world technologies" took over milwaukee.. we also have 2 of the 18 v makita cordless recips at work.. their toys in comparison
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Buy a sawzall that is appropriate for your needs around the house. But spend $10 for a nice 24" bow saw for those little limbs.....or a cheap electric chain saw. If you "sap up" your reciprocal saw you will remember it everytime you use it....
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

Of all the tools I use the Sawzall is way up on the list of most abused.

Cordless is great if you need to crawl into the hole or up the ladder for a cut or two but it’s far from a workhorse.

If you can only own one, then you need the cord, especially if you want to go logging with the thing.

Milwaukee has always been the leader in the Sawzall market and even though their Sawzall’s are not as bullet proof as they used to be there still the best out there imo.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 12-20-2012 at 09:33 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #15

Looks like im getting a corded one. thanks for the replies. What is the "correct" way to cut tree branches and or cut down small trees?

Advertisement

fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote