DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about table saws,...

10K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  handy man88 
#1 ·
I'm looking a to get a table saw. I stopped by a local home improvement store(Lowes) and saw two table saw thats caought my eye. Now,... I do not plan on using this table saw for home improvement. It's actually going to be used in my little fab shop I have going on. So,... I plan on using it to cut acrylic, wood, and thin sheets of aluminum(1/16" - 1/8"). This shop is fairly small but we are groing so,... here's my question, well kind of. First,... table saw #1, has a NICE thick big table. It's heavy as hell and literally looks bomb proof. The stand loks pretty much permanent. I mean it's on wheels but they are just to move it around a bit. The motor on it is only 1.5HP though. It belt drives the blade too. The brand is Delta. Now,... table saw #2 is a very portable saw made by Ryobi. The saw is literally on a tube frame stand with Nice big wheels, it folds down and away if need be. You can literally jog with this thing. It has an ok table top but it is a LOT thinner then the other one. A lot thinner. This table top slides. It extends out to a total of 25". When closed is a lot smaller, i dont know how small but whatever. The saw itself is cover mostly with plastic but the motor is 4.4HP! BUT! It does NOT belt drive the blade. The blade is right on the motor shank. Now,... Why does the better table, #1, have a motor with a lot less horse the table #2? Is it because it's belt driven? I was told that belt driven machines are the way to go. Im thinking because its belt driven but it still doesnt make sense seeing that the sprocket or whatever it's called is the same size on both ends. So its kind of like having the blade right on the motor shank. Right? I like saw number #2 but im not sure about motor horse? I dont really care about the portability of #2 because this thing aint going anywhere anyways, atleast I dont think it is. So whats up?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have #2
It's crap
I can't wait until it breaks and I can replace it
Well, breaks enough to warrant replacement
Pieces started falling off the first day I used it

It took a few hours and massive modification (removal of safety stuff, elongating adjustment slots) to get it even close to square
Which it still isn't btw, just closer
The measurements on it are a total joke, nothings within 1/2" or 5* of being correct

If it wasn't for the money, it'd have a little "accident" and fall off the truck tomorrow
...along with the Ryobi palm sander I used a few times
That thing stinks too

Am I being too subtle?
:laughing:
Just in case you missed it, I don't particularly care much for the saw
;)

#4 ·
...it's funny only because it's true yummy

Oh, by the way, have I mentioned how bad that table saw is?
It technically does cut, but so badly it actually creates more work for you
Wait, I think the word "cut" is not accurate
"Chews" would be much more accurate

It's not so much a tool as it is a loud, sawdust flinging, frustration machine

#9 ·
If you want good value, and a great saw for the buck, check out Grizzly tools....if you have to have it now, the Delta is good also. But remember, the home centers do not neccessarily carry contractor grade saws...Delta has a cheap line they sell in the box stores....and they are cheap.

#11 ·
#15 ·
DON'T buy the crapobi what ever you do and it drives me nuts that they advertise saw's as having 4 or 5 horse power on a 15amp 120 breaker simple math tells us that 1.5 real horse power is all that you can have. A good saw with an induction motor should last you a life time unlike portable throw away saw's.

#17 · (Edited)
If it's a choice between the Delta and Ryobi for a shop saw, get the Delta. If you need to move this around from jobsite to jobsite, you most likely would buy one of the other portable saws. Ryobi is a once or twice a year type of tool. I have a couple Ryobi tools and they're not bad. My Ryobi hammer drill was 1/2 the price of others but I only need it once or twice a year.
The belt drive saw allows you to show a bit more blade than a direct drive saw, which is one shortcoming of my tablesaw.
I've got the cheapo Delta 1HP tablesaw with the solid cast table. For the money it's not bad. It always gives me straight cuts but I wish the table were bigger and it had a bit more power. It struggled a bit ripping through a 2x4 x 8' oak stick. It didn't burn but I had to slow down. Overall, I'm happy with it but it does have it's shortcomings. If I were to buy a new shop saw, I'd spend a couple more bucks and get the Grizzly that Brik has.

#18 ·
Speaking of Ryobi, I recently saw something at Home Depot that piqued my interest, although I did not buy it. Ryobi now has a corded drill driver with a clutch. What you see mostly now is either a cordless drill with a clutch, or a cordless drill without a clutch. I don't know why this is, but seems like Ryobi came out with something that broke the mold.

http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/d45ck/

#20 ·
You can't go too wrong with the Delta, Jet, Grizzly tools. Whether you go contractor grade or higher. Even the Sears "zipcode" saw gets good ratings.
Ron

#22 ·
I saw a demo of this table saw technology on This Old House by Tom Silva. From what I saw, I don't trust that it will help much. Tom used a hot dog with his hand, and was moving it very slowly and had to slow down before the blade dropped into the table. Supposedly, parts needed to be replaced after this safety feature kicks in.

#24 ·
Once the unit is triggered both the cartridge and the blade are gone. You have to buy another cartridge. I know where to get the cartridge. Don't know where the finger(s) store is though.
I don't own one of the Saw Stop saws, but I can get the cartridge.
Ron

#26 ·
Brik -- is that the 1023? I've been lookin' hard even though it's real early. I'm currently building 480sqft inside a metal barn that will be a weekend apt. for 3 years then my woodshop after the house is built. BUT I'm lusting after the tools to fill it with now. The griz 1023 has my interest peaked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.