Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #1

Share |

Pressure Washers

Im looking into an electric pressure washer for around the house. Nothing really to dirty just some brick and wood. Came across this one on sale and wanted to see if it seemed like a decent one. Thanks for any input.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-700...1&blockType=G1

texasman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #2

Pressure Washers

I have a Stanley branded one I bought several years ago and it is surprisingly good. I use it on a 20x12 pressure treated deck to clean and prepare for painting and to clean a similar sized Trex deck below. It does a really good job. It's not as fast as larger gas powered unit but is fine for these smaller projects. And there is less chance of damaging wood than with a gas unit. Also works great on siding and concrete.

At the time Stanley made 2 models and I got the higher rated one. This is the one I have... or at least the older version. Looks pretty much the same. Karcher is another well known brand that makes similar. Not sure about your used Craftsman... but in general I can recommend electrics for smaller jobs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-2...S-BB/203128368

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

Pressure Washers

Looks like a nice one with some nice features. Unfortunately there's no reviews to help you out. I've only owned gas so I don't know much about electric. I know some are notorious for blowing fuses which can be frustrating as you try to replace the fuses on the unit to continue cleaning. They are a bit underpowered but do a decent job on most substrates.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

Pressure Washers

Went to lowes to look around and ended up walking out with this Troy Bilt. Box was little beat up so i got a great deal on it. I also got a turbo nozzle when i got it out of the package it sounds like a little ball bearing in it loose. Is that normal? Heres what i got.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_52080-348-02...Info=Troy-Bilt
texasman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

Pressure Washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
I'm considering getting one. Roughly how many times have you used yours in those couple years?

Have you had any problems with it? A lot of the reviews say the hose burst, or it stopped making pressure.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

Pressure Washers

I have had it for 3 or 4 years... only use it a couple of times a year. I am going to be cleaning my 12x20 PT wood deck soon before refinishing it. That's about the biggest job it sees. Never had any problems or needed any repairs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
I'm considering getting one. Roughly how many times have you used yours in those couple years?

Have you had any problems with it? A lot of the reviews say the hose burst, or it stopped making pressure.
r0ckstarr (04-08-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #7

Pressure Washers

I had really good service from a Karcher brand electric one but it's been several years. I also owned a gas powered Generac. It was also great BUT if you don't use it at least once or twice a month I would seriously recommend electric over gas.
muddyleebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Pressure Washers

I would not even consider an electric. A lot of the pressure washing I do the people have electric and they say it doesn't have enough power to was the car. I find this a little hard to believe but there I am pressure washing so they must be underpowered and most have been the yellow ones.
My is a Troy Bilt 3100 psi and I have had about 12 years service with only very minor repairs.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
JOATMON

Pressure Washers

I have an electric 1600 PSI....I 'sort' of wish I had more power. It's great for general cleaning. But, if your trying to strip paint off the house....it's too weak....but then again, if you don't want the paint to come off.....its great.

Works fine for the driveway and engine bay.

If I ever buy another one....I'll go 1800 or 2200 PSI.....electric.

I see no need for gas unless you want to be mobile.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #10

Pressure Washers

This is good information. I plan to get one for cleaning the driveway, wooden deck, and bricks on the house. It would probably be used 2-3 times a year at most. I was concerned about letting a gas motor sit for so long.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Pressure Washers

Like any gas powered small engine, maintain is much more critical during off season when compared to electric. However, no way in hell does an electric have nearly as much power as a gas. The most powerful electrics would not beat the weakest gas, even at advertised PSI or cleaning units. Karcher is a top brand you really wouldn't go wrong with them. I would recommend a gas unit if you're planning on using it for 4 or more hours at a time, and depending on what kind of surfaces you're cleaning. If it's accumulated dirt on concrete or brick, then you may want gas. If it's light household such as cleaning off your composite/wood deck then you can stick to electric. Don't forget that cleaning agents help, but nozzles don't help as much as manufacturers would like for you to think.
RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoofingTrades For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (04-20-2014), ToolSeeker (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #12

Pressure Washers

I'm in the market for a pressure washer (residential/home use only) so I'll keep an eye on this thread.
KMart19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #13

Pressure Washers

The difference is cleaning power and speed isn't just psi. You have to look at the water flow. A pressure washer flowing 2.5 gpm is going to outclean one that only flows 1.5 gpm, at the same pressure.

Gas powered units tend to have greater flows than electric units.

I think that a variable nozzle is worth its weight in gold. You can adjust the width of the spray with a simple twist. Having used one, I would never go back to changing nozzles.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

Pressure Washers

As far as it sitting between uses the biggest cause of problems is the ethanol in gasoline. In an engine that sits it will cause carb problems. To eliminate this put a shut-off in the fuel line. when you are done shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas. This is also a good idea on lawn mowers, boat motors or anything else that sits over the winter.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #15
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Pressure Washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
As far as it sitting between uses the biggest cause of problems is the ethanol in gasoline. In an engine that sits it will cause carb problems. To eliminate this put a shut-off in the fuel line. when you are done shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas. This is also a good idea on lawn mowers, boat motors or anything else that sits over the winter.
I have yet to see a small engine manufacturer that has an engine compatible with E85. Every new gas powered pressure washer, lawn mower, weed wacker etc. will say E85 is not approved and some even void the warranty. Hell some cars aren't even compatible with E85. From my automotive experience the ethanol in E85 requires that the fuel systems have specific stainless steel lines and vitron O-rings. All of this adds cost to the unit.

RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote