Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Share |

Power washer

Have Troy Bilt pressure washer. Everything worked perfectly until a month ago. Machine will not pick up detergent. Inspected and found no leaks (detergent or air) Cleaned tanks and shut off valves. I replaced all supply lines and chemical injector ball and spring and cleaned interior of manifold.
(used soap tip and even tried it at engine speed to no avail.)

Next step replacement of manifold? Not much left

treborkanzarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Power washer

Funny thing about these pressure washers that are supposed to pick up soap, most don't. Try this before you take anything else apart: while the unit is running and the pick-up hose for the detergent is in the container of detergent, raise the detergent container up slowly. It would not surprise me that the unit will start pulling in the detergent as the top of the detergent level becomes level with the intake fitting for the detergent pick-up. Another test is to use colored water, I use windshield washer fluid to do this. Most units will pick up the thinner windshield washer fluid before picking up the thicker detergents. These units work by the fluid going through the pump creating a vacuum to draw in the cleaning fluid. The thicker the cleaning fluid, the harder it is to draw it in. Think of drinking water through a straw vs. drinking a milkshake through a straw. I have a 16 HP, 4250 PSI unit and mine didn't work good either. I put a tube into the bottom of a 1/2 gallon plastic jug, hang it from the handle of the unit above the intake fitting and it works just fine, with a little valve to regulate flow. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #3

Power washer

Thurman,

Did exactly what you said. Washer fluid flows by gravity to the valve but does not enter manifold. Wife informed me that my brother in law borrowed this machine about 2 weeks ago and God knows what he ran through this. (For all I know he may have tried to use it as a power painter .)
Found a great deal on a manifold ($35.00) e-bay. Will install when it arrives this Friday an let you know of the outcome.

Again

THANKS!
terborkanxarb is offline   Reply With Quote