Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Blues Hockey Fan

Share |

Porter-Cable or Craftsman Drill Dilema

I have a delima...and it's a bit complicated.

Here's the situation. I currently own a Craftsman 19.2v NiCad Drill...had it for about 10 years. It came with 2 batteries, the charger and a fluorescent light.

One of the batteries died about 4 years ago, and I replaced it then. And a week ago, the other original battery JUST died.

The drill has been through a lot...and it's been a great drill. It still works great, but it's pretty beat up.

Instead of just buying another replacement battery (Currently $35 at Sears on sale), I wanted to look into getting a new 18v or 19.2v lithium-ion set and add an impact driver as well.

A year ago, I was at Lowe's and I saw on their clearance rack a bare bones Porter-Cable drill...no battery, no charger, no box. Probably a display item or something from an open box return. But it looks spotless. It's the drill from this set: http://www.lowes.com/pd_76712-79992-...ill&facetInfo=
It was marked down to $5, so I bought it, thinking I'd get batteries for it eventually or if I ever bought a Porter-Cable set, I could add it to that...heck, it was only $5.

My plan is/was to buy a Porter Cable impact driver set that comes with two lithium-ion batteries and a charger...and then I'd already have the drill and I'd be set. The problem is, I can't find it anywhere. They sell the bare bones impact driver, but not one with two batteries and a charger. They sell both the impact driver and drill together as a combo, but I already have the drill.
Anyone know where I can get a Porter-Cable impact driver plus 2 batteries and a charger as a combo set? Buying them individually is not an option as that would be a LOT more money.
I may just end up buying this (refurbished set) and selling the drill as a bare bones drill as I don't need two drills:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORTER-CABLE...ht_2879wt_1139

On the other hand...
I have enjoyed my Craftsman drill quite a bit, and I am having a hard time switching brands. My dad has always had Craftsman tools, and still buys them for the most part...and I've been a Craftsman guy since I really started acquiring my own tools 10-12 years ago... so I am looking at this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
Where if I bought this, I would probably craigslist the bare bones Porter-Cable drill, my beat up Craftsman drill, light, charger & one good battery.

But ideally, if i could find a Porter-Cable impact driver that came with 2 lithium-ion batteries & the charger...that's what I would like to do. But again, buying them individually would run about $175 just for the two lithium-ion batteries and charger.

Porter-Cable or Craftsman for my situation? Or in general? What do you guys prefer?
I'd like to take care of this before this in the next week or so. I'm wiring my workshop soon and will be drilling holes through studs, etc.

Thoughts?
Thanks guys.

cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #2

In most cases an Impact driver is an add on tool. So not likly to find the set your looking for.
Check on CPO tools. I'm seeing lower prices then Amazon or Ebay on there site.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #3

I have a full array of craftsman c3 tools and love them. I started a Milwaukee cordless set and was given some craftsman, after which I sold the Milwaukee to expand my craftsman stuff. The li-ion Bat's are great and the 4 port charger is very helpful for projects. The thing that really did it for me was the mini wet dry vac, full impact wrench and impact driver. I have no experience with the porter tools but cannot recommend the craftsman enough. I've been beating them for years now and they work great with a great price
rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Oh, and craftsman has several drills. The 3/8 is a bit weak but is a good light drill. The one you want is the 1/2 that comes with the lithium battery. It has silver mesh in the sides like the impact driver. It is more compact than the normal 1/2 but seems to have just as much if not more power. There is also a 1/2 hammer drill that is decent.
rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Tool Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice12 View Post
Anyone know where I can get a Porter-Cable impact driver plus 2 batteries and a charger as a combo set?
Most Combo sets have at least two tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 02-08-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: phrase
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

http://www.cpoworkshop.com/factory-r...ned-combo-kits
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

if your leaning towards teh craftsman you might want to check the price of the ryobi at home depot.. most craftsman power tools are made by ryobi and the same as the tool at hd.. only a different color and lettering on them.. plus the ryobi stuff is usually a little bit cheaper
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
if your leaning towards teh craftsman you might want to check the price of the ryobi at home depot.. most craftsman power tools are made by ryobi and the same as the tool at hd.. only a different color and lettering on them.. plus the ryobi stuff is usually a little bit cheaper
Kirk do you have any source that proves that Ryobi makes the Craftsman line?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Blues Hockey Fan

Quote:
In most cases an Impact driver is an add on tool. So not likly to find the set your looking for.
Check on CPO tools. I'm seeing lower prices then Amazon or Ebay on there site.
Yeah, that's what I've seen too. If I go Craftsman, I'll just get the drill/impact driver combo set with batteries and charger.

Quote:
Oh, and craftsman has several drills. The 3/8 is a bit weak but is a good light drill. The one you want is the 1/2 that comes with the lithium battery. It has silver mesh in the sides like the impact driver. It is more compact than the normal 1/2 but seems to have just as much if not more power. There is also a 1/2 hammer drill that is decent.
Yeah, the 1/2" is the one I am going to get...whether it be Craftsman or Porter-Cable.

Quote:
Most Combo sets have at least two tools.
I didn't mean combo set as in more than one tool...just the impact driver with two lithium-ion batteries and a charger. Sorry about that.

I'm actually interested in the lithium-ion batteries...not Ni-Cad.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Blues Hockey Fan

Quote:
I've used Ryobi before...one of my previous employers had a Ryobi drill in the maintenance closet and we'd use it once in a while.

I dunno. I'm not much of a fan of Ryobi. Their stuff just feels a little lacking in terms of quality and performance.
I'm sure they're fine for most folks to have in a closet for every once in a while use...but for the hardcore DIY'er I wouldn't recommend them.

I've built a 22'x17' workshop, a couple decks, put up a couple large wood picket fences, framed and finished my basement, and various other DIY projects... I don't think Ryobi is for me.

I'd go DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch or some other top notch brand if I could afford it. Craftsman always seemed like a nice compromise between decent quality and decent price in my opinion. And Porter-Cable seems to be in the same area...although I have never really used their tools...yet.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

One of the batteries died about 4 years ago, and I replaced it then. And a week ago, the other original battery JUST died.
>So you have some failure rate data so you can predict how many batts you'd need in the future, other things being equal. Parts failures are a hidden cost of ownership.

Instead of just buying another replacement battery (Currently $35 at Sears on sale), I wanted to look into getting a new 18v or 19.2v lithium-ion set and add an impact driver as well.
>So you can predict costs by staying with Sears.

My plan is/was to buy a Porter Cable impact driver set that comes with two lithium-ion batteries and a charger...and then I'd already have the drill and I'd be set. The problem is, I can't find it anywhere.
>They may have closed off this path to consumers. It's not that they are so clever, it's that others have tried this before and the companies want to close these loopholes.

But ideally, if i could find a Porter-Cable impact driver that came with 2 lithium-ion batteries & the charger...that's what I would like to do. But again, buying them individually would run about $175 just for the two lithium-ion batteries and charger.
>Try online surplus parts places for batteries and see if they can change the buying option equation more in your favor.

My rechargeable watch battery just failed and online they want $35 for two. This is half the cost of the watch.
For the foreseeable future I'll be telling time by where the sun is.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 02-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #12

once i went to commercial construction and got my hands on some serious tools i sold all of my craftsman cordless tools, i now run with the makita 18v never looked back.
sandshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Kirk do you have any source that proves that Ryobi makes the Craftsman line?

both the packaging boxes on craftman tools which clearly state manufactured by ryobi technologies along with fine home building magazine which reviews power tools every issue. when they review anything by ryobi or craftsman they list it as both since its the same tool
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #14

Quote:
both the packaging boxes on craftman tools which clearly state manufactured by ryobi technologies along with fine home building magazine which reviews power tools every issue. when they review anything by ryobi or craftsman they list it as both since its the same tool

i had a cordless drill and sawsall, to body casing was exactly the same as the ryobi. and the ryobi batteries were able to charge on the craftsman charger.
sandshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME!

Look on the Milwaukee website - 18v Li-Ion hammer drill/driver (1/2 inch) and Impact driver (quick change) I picked up brand new as a combo kit over black friday for 212 out the door from Home Depot. Reason? Used them on a job site when my dewalt had a heart attack on me, liked them better than the dewalts I have. Switch most of my power tools to milwaukee and never looked back. (hell I should get commission from them, I always suggest their tools )

builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote