DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Portable saw Question

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  JCAHILL4 
#1 · (Edited)
Over the years, in my home, I have used and gotten used to a radial arm saw which I use for both cross cut and ripping. It's an old 10 inch craftsman that seems to do the work quite well. I now have a small summer "shack" on the beach that needs some work. I am seeking a portable saw of some sort that would perform in a similar manner to my 10 inch radial. I've seen on the web and in stores both portable table saws and portable miter saws. I am new to this larger portable equipment (I do have all the hand tools that I need). My question is what type and brand of saw would be a good substitute for the above radial arm saw. I will be doing a lot of cross cutting and ripping as the "shack" is almost 100 years old and the planking dimensions need to be ripped to size. I will need some level of precision as the tightness of the planks is the primary weather barrier.

#4 ·
I'm a big fan of contractor quality tools, so most of my stuff is DeWalt. Unfortunately, the cost can get up there pretty quick. DeWalt makes a portable job table saw that is pretty light with a separate leg set. Mine was about $500 a few years ago, but for a portable saw, it's pretty precise and has ripped miles of lumber. I even use it for my furniture-grade cuts. I also have a DeWalt 12-inch compound miter saw, which you can pick up for less than $300. This is a lot for a fixer-upper budget, but if you buy it right the first time, you won't have to do it again for a long time!

#5 · (Edited)
I also like Dewalt for power tools. The 12" compound miter saw is probably all you'll need. If budget allows and you think you may have a need, look into the slider. (Twice as much though.) I read an article recently in a trade magazine about a new bench top table saw (10" contractor grade) that was in the $350.00 range I believe. It got high marks. Sorry to say there's not a portable (that I'm aware of) that can do what a radial arm can do. You'll need two saws. Toolsofthetrade.net has a lot of reviews/comparisons of tools from leading mfgrs.

#10 ·
I will be doing a lot of cross cutting and ripping as the "shack" is almost 100 years old and the planking dimensions need to be ripped to size. I will need some level of precision as the tightness of the planks is the primary weather barrier.
I would prefer to have a table saw if I had alot of ripping to do... If portability is important, I have had great luck with my 10" Ryobi table saw. It has wheels for portability and a collapsible stand. I saw that they recently improved the miter on it( though I rarely use my table saw for miters). If it will be mostly staionary, then any table saw would probably fit your needs. If it is not needed immediately, there are often great deals to be had on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving if in the U.S.)

#11 ·
Why not both!

I bought BOTH! I found the Craftsman 10" slider to be the best of both worlds. Accurate, slides to cut the big stuff, good quality without having to buy the yellow and black.

I also a Ridgid contractors table saw, I love the portability and the power it provides. I have never bogged it down, even with the hardest woods. Very accurate and nothing replaces a table saw.

I found I needed both to make the tough cuts safely and with as much accuracy as possible. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.