Pneumatic Tools: Craftsman? Husky? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 650

Pneumatic Tools: Craftsman? Husky?

Finally, after many years, I've got my air compressor. Now what I don't have is any tools to use with it.

I'm a little OCD about all my types of tools being the same brand, so how do you guys like Craftsman or Husky? Or any other mid-budget brands? I'd love to do Ingersoll Rand or Snap-On, but I don't see using them enough to justify the cost.

And before anyone says it, no Harbor Freight.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 3,026

Rigid...

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 6,692

Mort--Craftsman and Husky are not manufacturers---so it is a relabled tool made by what ever manufacturer sears or HD has chosen---some are fine--others are less than good---

In my limited experience--the cheaper mechanics air tools work well enough for occasional use that you will be happy----however, for extened heavy use--well that is why Snap-on is in business---
Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,264

What type of air tools?
Nailers, mechanic type tools?
How many CFM is the compressor?
What type work do think you may doing with the tools?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
What type of air tools? Nailers, mechanic type tools? How many CFM is the compressor? What type work do think you may doing with the tools?
It's a 26 gallon 5.5hp Campbell Hausfeld, the CFM escapes me but I want to say around 5.1@ 90psi. So no sanders, but I'm all electric on those anyway.

I'm thinking nailers and a few of the mechanic tools (air hammer, ratchet, die grinder, maybe a scaler, whatever else catches my eye). Nailers there are plenty of options, and I'll read more on them, I just wanted opinions on the mechanic tools of the more "thrifty" brands. All hobby, no professional use.

Mike - sounds like it's the same as woodworking tools where they farm a lot of it out. And after using Snap On wrenches and a Festool jigsaw, I see why one pays top dollar for some of those tools, and I usually try to save up and buy the best. This time, however, I'm sorta breaking my own rule and going mid range, I just don't see myself using them often enough to call up the Snap On truck.

My question is to people that are using semi-current tools of this price range, is whoever Sears and Home Depot subbing out to right now doing a good enough job, or are they garbage.

Please and thank you.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,862

Don't want to burst your bubble, but most air tools use a LOT of air to operate them, and a 26 gal.compressor is not big enough for most, so choose carefully.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,264

Here's a geneic CFM chart.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ols-d_847.html
Needle scalers use a lot of air.
I found out the hard way one of those cheap sets with the air wrench, right angle 3/8 rachet, air grinder was a waste of money.
Need to get over all the tools needing to be the same brand.
None of the parts are interchangable, not like you have one common battery you can use on all the tools.
I never shop at Habour Freight, Northern tools seems to have more named brand tools at a good price.
Yodaman (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
most air tools use a LOT of air to operate them, and a 26 gal.compressor is not big enough

Kind of a broad statement, air tools w/continuous spinning motors suck up a lot air like sanders, grinders, polishers even small die grinders. And you would struggle to keep them running very long. Tools like impacts, nut runners and ratchets will run fine unless you need long duration run cycles.
Air nailers will be duct soup for this compressor as they require very little air volume, unless you are doing production carpentry.
I like Bostich and Paslode for air guns, but have no preference on mechanics tools.

Shopping for tools, sounds like fun!

let us know how your project turns out!
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
raylo32 (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Rigid...

rigid compressors arent by rigid. their from campbell hausfeld
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 3,026

rigid compressors arent by rigid. their from campbell hausfeld

I meant the tools, he has the compressor.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Kind of a broad statement, air tools w/continuous spinning motors suck up a lot air like sanders, grinders, polishers even small die grinders. And you would struggle to keep them running very long. Tools like impacts, nut runners and ratchets will run fine unless you need long duration run cycles.
Air nailers will be duct soup for this compressor as they require very little air volume, unless you are doing production carpentry.
I like Bostich and Paslode for air guns, but have no preference on mechanics tools.

Shopping for tools, sounds like fun!

"Air nailers will be duct soup for this compressor "

And that's about all it will handle, almost everything else is an effort in futility.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1
Don't want to burst your bubble, but most air tools use a LOT of air to operate them, and a 26 gal.compressor is not big enough for most, so choose carefully.
So riddle me this, Batman. I have an extra tank, about 20 gallons (maybe 16, not sure), could I connect that in and have the extra capacity without any side effects, other than the compressor running a bit longer initially?
Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,900

I won't speak for batman but this might help:
Adding extra storage will help on any start up. Its all about scfm of air output at the compressor compared with the consumption at the tool. Your compressor is putting out around 5-6. (?) If your tool is consuming less than that, life is good. If your tool is consuming more than that when you drain off the tank on continuous op. and your motor kicks on it will not catch up until you stop. And then it will take some idle tool time for the comp. to refill. The extra tank capacity will increase the run duration on tools above your compressor output capacity. The link Joe posted is a good reference on what to expect for various air tool cfm consumption. Probably 2/3rds
of the tools on the list your comp. should handle.

let us know how your project turns out!
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #14
World's Tallest Midget

I did look at the chart and most everything I would want is close. I wasn't sure if having the extra tank on there would be bad in any way (extra runtime when filling initially was my major concern).

I will reiterate that this isn't heavy use. If I have to wait a minute for it to catch up, that's more beer drinking time for me.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,038

As far as air tools, mine range from IR to Snap-On, Mac, Matco, down to Sunex. All are very basic, not much to go wrong and should last, if you oil them regularly. My compressor is 30 gallons with 6 scfm at 90 and it will kick on the compressor after 1-2 wheels with my 1/2" impact.

Compressor mfgrs seem to over estimate output and tool mfgrs underestimate requirements. That said, you should be ok, but don't drink too much.

Added: Look at the working torque of the tools you are considering. Most only list max torque, which is like max horsepower from an engine and really a useless number.

Advertisement

Last edited by 47_47; 04-15-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote