Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Share |

Plate/Biscuit joiner suggestions

First, I am not a pro, nor a woodworking extraordinaire. I do enjoy doing some woodworking, and a plate joiner is one tool I do not yet have.

Does anyone have suggestions of a DIY-friendly joiner? Should I just expect to pay the $200ish price for a PC 557, or are there better more DIY-budget friendly options out there?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #2

I bought a freud Avanti JS104 for only $70 a few months ago! Worked fine! They are reg $139! I got rid of my old Freud JS101 cause the fence slipped unless it was really really tightened!Got the JS 104 at lowes!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
In a little over my head

My Dewalt works great. it's not the cheapest, but is less expensive than the Porter Cable.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

I seen the PC at Home Depot today for $164! Might be on clearance! Had the yellow tag!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

One thing to decide is exactly what you want to use it for. I have a Freud which works with 00 to #20 biscuits. There have been times when I would have liked to use smaller biscuits (face frames). There are some biscuit jointers which can take a smaller carbide wheel for smaller biscuits, that might be good on occasion.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

I have the PC. It is pretty versatile, three sizes of biscuits, two faceplates. One has adjustable angle, the other is fixed. Nicely built, pretty strong. I also have a mini Ryobi that they don't make anymore. Takes real teeny biscuits. Great for small picture frame moldings.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

believe it or not simply using a slot cutting bit on a trim router does the exact same thing.. instead of paying $200 for a new tool you can drop $15-20 for a new router bit for a laminate trimmer if you have one.

im a seasoned finish carpenter and its all i need, now mind you if i start getting into custom cabinetry i will definitely invest in a tool dedicated to this
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote