Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

Share |

Picking up a few tools before I leave for school

I'm headed back to school in about a month, and am looking to get a few tools to use this year. I work a seasonal job for a contractor, and subsequently use a lot of DeWalt power tools day in and day out. We have a Bosch guy at our home depot, and was talking to him today and think I am planning to go with Bosch. I have a gig at school working in a woodshop, but also volunteer at habitat for humanity type places so need some versatile gear. Right now I'm planning to get:

Bosch
Bosch Jobsite Radio
18v Driver and Drill Combo
Circular Saw (not the exact saw I'll be getting)

Milwaukee
Milwaukee Sawzall

There is a deal at Home Depot where if you spend more than $400 on Bosch equipment, you get $100 of free merchandise shipped to your door. So I'm also considering buying the Bosch jobsite radio (and he'd throw in a free lithium battery, he said). Can you guys think of any problems with the gear I'm planning to get? Any experiences with Bosch gear would be useful. I'm looking for something that will last me throughout college.

P.S. My budget is around $600, if that helps.

ThomasHickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Check out the Used tool resale shops or pawn shops first.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

ALso check out CPO tools.com.
They stock a lot of factory rebuilt tools with the same warrenty as new and a much lower cost.
Also check out Amazon.com and look at the bottom of the posting on the tool your looking to buy for reports from people that have bought the tool before.
I'd buy Bosh or Millwaulkee before I'd ever buy another Dewault tool.
I'd also skip buying a radio and buy a tool you will use to make money instead.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

I like Bosch tools. However, for a cordless drill you can't go wrong with the Makita impact drivers. They are much better quality and probably not a whole lot more. Also, maybe consider checking craigslist for used tools. This will allow you to get more stuff within your budget.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments, guys. I took your advice and started browsing craigslist. I found a couple good deals; however, I still probably will buy cordless from the store (I just don't honestly trust used batteries, chargers, etc, & don't want to be out $200 because I took a chance). There are some serious deals on here! Once I start setting up a shop of my own Craigslist is the place to go. I found a table saw (granted, old and beat up) for only 40 bucks. Thanks again, guys.
ThomasHickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

why buy different brands of stuff? buy a combo set of lets say bosch you like then expand. and a jobsite radio on the top of your list? i see your setting your priorities straight haha!! i say buy a different tool you need and just get a cheapo boom box for now
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #7

If the deal is good enoughon the cordless tools the batteries can be rebuilt at batteries plus. I have had some done for my snap on cordless tools for half the price of new and work great.

cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote