Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #1

Share |

panasonic drill/impact kit crapping out - advice needed

a few years ago i bought a panasonic cordless kit with:

sawzall
18v hammer drill
14.4v impact driver
14.4v drill

i've hardly ever used the sawzall because of it's pathetic power and battery life over the corded milwaukee that i have.

i would say i've used the drill and the impact driver for "part time" diy and construction.
i haven't abused either tool.

i've loved the impact driver and used it a lot, mostly 3" deck screws, ledgerloks, timberloks, a lot of drywall, etc... never had a problem until recently (see below).

i've had a few issues with the hammer drill. once or twice it got really hot and actually emitted smoke. wouldn't work for awhile, but once it cooled off it was fine again. i usually use it for predrilling holes and very rarely hammer mode (only once or twice to drill through a foundation and once to drill through a sill for plumbing).

the other day i was drilling the sill (an old 6X6) with a 3/4" auger bit and the drill emitted smoke and died. it's been weeks and i haven't been able to resurrect it.

now, just the other day, the impact driver is going buggy, too. it could be the batteries, i'm not sure.
the kit came with two chargers, and for awhile now one of the chargers is not working. it gives me either a flashing red or a flashing yellow. both batteries take a charge in the toher charger.
yesterday the batteries were getting super hot in the charger, and the digital display on the driver kept going on and off.

i've hardly ever used the 14v drill, but have had to because of the hammer drill being fried. this thing has no power whatsoever. seemed to be super slow even with a fresh battery and tiny drill bit, on drill mode and set to "high".

not sure if the batteries are going, the chargers, the driver/drill itself, or everything.

there is of course no warranty.
should i mail the hammer drill to the service center? they'll give me a free estimate at least? should i send in the impact gun as well?

or:
buy some new batteries and a new charger?

or, throw the whole thing out and buy a new kit?

they're damn expensive these days. i feel like these tools should have lasted more than 2 years with the relatively light use they've seen.

thanks a lot.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote