Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

paint stripping tool suggestions?

I'm looking to strip ole peeling paint off of a few things, then prime & repaint

1. wood trim around the house.
2. steel gutters
3. outdoor metal furniture 3 tables and about 15 chairs.

I'm thinking a sandblaster might be a good option, but don't want a huge compressor sitting in the garage. And, I'm wondering if a smaller more portable compressor might be too weak for my tasks. These are just my assumptions.

I just started looking into this so I don't really even know what my options are.

Aside from elbow grease and sandpaper, I'm looking for some ideas on what some good paint stripping options might be

thanks

bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #2

There really isn't such a thing as a sand blaster with a small air compressor. You need a pretty heavy duty unit (trailer mounted) compressor to make it worth while. Also, the amount of mess you will create in a matter of seconds won't be worth it for a few of the items you mentioned.

rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
I'm looking to strip ole peeling paint off of a few things, then prime & repaint

1. wood trim around the house.
2. steel gutters
3. outdoor metal furniture 3 tables and about 15 chairs.

I'm thinking a sandblaster might be a good option, but don't want a huge compressor sitting in the garage. And, I'm wondering if a smaller more portable compressor might be too weak for my tasks. These are just my assumptions.

I just started looking into this so I don't really even know what my options are.

Aside from elbow grease and sandpaper, I'm looking for some ideas on what some good paint stripping options might be

thanks
Well, for stripping paint off wood the paint shaver arguably is the best option
http://www.paintshaver.com/paintshaver.html
Problem with it is that it likely won't do well on steel gutters nor the furniture. It is however, only slightly cheaper than an air compressor capable of sandblasting.

I use a Wagner Paint eater.
http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-paint-eater-new.html. Does a pretty good job but you need to know how to handle rotary tools because they can get wild if set down wrong.

You can get similar pads for angle grinders here http://www.heleta.com/abrasive-produ...-p7559431.html that will work well. Thing I like about the paint eater is it only runs about 2500 rpm so it is more manageable and has less chance of burning the paint. Angle grinders run up around 10,000 plus/minus rpm but angle grinders are a fairly inexpensive option. I think I saw one at Wally World for about $30, a Skil I think.
Good Luck

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"

Last edited by jschaben; 10-26-2011 at 09:58 PM.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Just happened by this thread. Have you looked at the bristle discs? Similar to a wire cup brush but with coated bristles.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Infrared paint strippers are amazing.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote