Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Which oscillating tool?

Which oscillating tool does everyone think is the best? I have read quite a few people say Fein makes the best one but there are a lot of them out there now. I see ads for one from Rockwell everyday :-) If Fein is the best which model? I want a corded one.

msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Which oscillating tool?

I have the cordless Bosch! It's outstanding! Bosch just came out with a corded one! If it's as good as the cordless it's worth checking out! And at approximate $150 offers some savings over the Feins!

toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Which oscillating tool?

I've only tried the Rockwell - seems to be built like a tank. You have to be very careful to install the blades correctly (hold the tool upside-down and make sure the blade falls down on the hex shaft before tightening). I've been in a hurry a couple of times, and ruined blades by tightening and cracking them (which can only happen if you don't have things lined up). I've read a lot of reviews on it, many people complain about the blades loosening during use, I've never actually had that problem, and I've used mine a lot. I'd def buy the same model again rather than taking a chance with something else.

My only other complaint is the provided bag isn't big enough to allow storage with a blade installed on the tool. This means if you put it away, you have to take the minute to take off the blade, and then another minute to put it back on before use... so mine stays out most of the time in my (dusty) shop.
teststrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 544

Which oscillating tool?

I have the Harbor Freight $30 tool and it has worked very well. I used it to undercut door trim for a hardwood floor install and to remove some nice square pieces of drywall to route some wires and cables. Much less dust than a rotozip or saw. I also plan to use it for a tile regrout job soon with a carbide blade.... I haven't used the more expensive brands to compare but the HF fills my needs. For $30 you can't go wrong.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raylo32 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-13-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,944

Which oscillating tool?

I've got the Harbor Freight fancy one---on sale about $40---

Tough tool I use it several times a week---Blades are $8.00 as opposed to the name brand blades at $17 to $20--each.
Gymschu (12-13-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,152

Which oscillating tool?

I've got a Dremel, it's just a toy tool in my opion.
I also have two Rockwells and have had 0 problums with them.
I found blades on Amazon.com that I can buy in a 15 pack for around $90.00.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Which oscillating tool?

I've got the 12v Milwaukee and I love it. Battery life is a tad short but that's about par for the course of all the cordless models. I'd highly recommend it.
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,114

Which oscillating tool?

ive used several brands and own the ridgid cordless..

easily teh best without a doubt is the fein.. they invented it and they perfected it. ive also used the bosch cordless and the dremel.. the bosch is pretty much the runner up to the fein.. the dremel is a diy model as it has cheap components in it which burns up really quick.. my ridgid isnt professional grade.. after only moderate use it had to go in for service. i will be selling off my ridgid shortly and upgrading to the corded bosch which i have heard nothing but good things about
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
DIY staff

Which oscillating tool?

I agree with Kirk---that new Bosch looks like a fine choice---and they have the easiest blades to find and also bulk packs at a somewhat reasonable price.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 510

Which oscillating tool?

I just went through making the same decision. For me, the Porter Cable won out. Tool-less blade changes, and Porter Cable quality. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to work great. I'm tickled with it. I've owned a jig saw and a recip saw that required an Allen Wrench to change the blade. No more.

BTW, I don't know why you think you need one; but although it's called a "multi-purpose tool", it's hardly a replacement for any conventional carpentry tools. It does make some jobs WAY easier.

Anyway, I vote for Porter Cable.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishing For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-13-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
bpm

Rewards Points: 27

Which oscillating tool?

I have the Bosch (the corded model) and I'm very happy with it. I bought it because the price was competitve with other manufacturers like Rockwell and Porter Cable, and was quite a bit cheaper than Fein. I thought about the Porter Cable but the Bosch has more flexibility for running different blades. I like the Porter Cable quick release feature, but it limits to using their blades, or blades with a cutout. The Bosch comes with an adapter that allows you to use virtually any blade. You need to use an allen wrench to secure blades, but I thought the trade-off was worth it.
bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
DIY staff

Which oscillating tool?

I'm astonished at how handy the tool is.

I bought mine as a one time specialty tool---but I use it almost daily---remove old caulk outside--under cut doors--scrapping of old tiles--cutting the under sink plumbing--cutting baseboards when adding wider casings to doors---opening drywall for electric boxes---and more-- Best bang for my tool budget--
Tom Struble (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 256

Which oscillating tool?

Which Rockwell are you guys talking about or is there only one? The Fein is 190 bucks on Amazon with a nice case I definitely want tool free blade changes. I don't have a project in mind right now but I can think of stuff I have done that would have been easier it's all cutting type things.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,114

Which oscillating tool?

i use mine for undercutting jambs, cutting baseboard in place in odd renovation situations such as old homes where the trim detail had the baseboard coming out to the door jambs and the casing sits on top of the base similar to plinth blocks, i use the grout removing tool for cutting old plaster as it doesnt throw dust like a recip saw does. and the sanding head for touch up sanding in tight spots as its much easier than trying to do it by hand.

as for brand.. id be very weary about teh porter cable, they used to be a very high quality brand but that was almost 5 years ago, ,since black and decker bought them out the brand has turned into nothing more than home owner grade tools. hate to say it but it wouldnt surprise me if you new tool burns out really quick
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Which oscillating tool?

I love my Fein. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Do yourself a favor... Don't short yourself

Justins1171 is offline   Reply With Quote