Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

Oscillating Multi-tool

What's the best 120V out there? I'm considering the Bosch, but and am not interested in paying Fein multimaster type money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Tileguy

Oscillating Multi-tool

I've had two Rockwells for more than three years now, no complaints and they are used frequently.

Well no complaints that is, except for the outrageous price of the damned blades and accessories. The accessories are all a major rip-off.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

Oscillating Multi-tool

I have the Bosch. I have no problems with it other than that the blades are so expensive. Also, the Bosch sanding pad is different from all of the others I've found in that its bigger. Therefore you must have the Bosch pad to use the Bosch sandpaper. Its much better by far than the cordless Ridgid i had before.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
DIY staff

Oscillating Multi-tool

I have the Harbor Freight one---(two actually) --the better one----Use it a lot more than I thought I would---tough tool and the blades are half the price of everyone elses.
PaliBob (03-30-2012)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #5

Oscillating Multi-tool

According to. a Fine Homebuilding test, Bosch multi tool blades last the longest by far!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toolaholic For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (03-31-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Oscillating Multi-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolaholic View Post
According to. a Fine Homebuilding test, Bosch multi tool blades last the longest by far!
I also heard about this test. I have used the bosch. They are good blades. Not sure they are as good as the fein though.
jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
DIY Enthusiast

Oscillating Multi-tool

How about this;
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...tioned-multi-x
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oscillating Multi-tool

I used my Fein things almost every day and they ranked right up there with all time fave tools. Expensive? You bet but they were a delight to work with and worked consistently as absolute workhorses. Minimal excess vibration and heat up. Mostly metal, nicely engineered parts. I sold them well used for a fair amount so feel like they were great investments.

$400 for everyday use is different than $40 for as needed DIY weekend project use I suppose. I do feel there is no such thing as either cheap luggage or cheap tools. Nothing is more dangerous than a bad tool or one wrong for the job.

Search this site for prior posts I cannot remember about multi-tools. I do remember blades and things working loose were an issue with the Rockwell and Craftsman versions. Somebody found the blades from Harbor Freight worked just fine in their Fein tools and that part of things can really add up.

Please post what you end up buying as I like to follow such things.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

Oscillating Multi-tool

I own two Rockwells, they now use a differant screw to hold the blade on it's harder and has both socket head and a hex, The old ones where to soft and tended to round off.
I also found packs of 15 blades on Amazon.com for around $90.00. That's $6.00 a blade.
There's a few of each tooth configuration in the pack, but for some reason they all came with the same part number on them.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oscillating Multi-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I own two Rockwells, they now use a differant screw to hold the blade on it's harder and has both socket head and a hex, The old ones where to soft and tended to round off.
I also found packs of 15 blades on Amazon.com for around $90.00. That's $6.00 a blade.
There's a few of each tooth configuration in the pack, but for some reason they all came with the same part number on them.
Glad to hear Rockwell fixed the screw problem. The price point, much as I loved my Feins, would be easier on a budget. Clients paid for most of my tools in the final analysis.

I haven't had reason to by blades or anything since out of the business but $6 sounds great if they hold up reasonably well.

As some know, I had a special relationship with a local sharpening shop that kept my drill bits and saw blades tipped, sharpened and true. They were cheap and it was so nice to pick up a tool and know it was going cut or drill nicely. It was never worth even trying to sharpen a done for Fein blade.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
In a little over my head

Oscillating Multi-tool

Speaking of multi-tools, I used mine last week to cut a few holes in Permabase CBU. The sheets were already installed. I was cutting holes for shampoo niches. It seemed like the grout blade might be appropriate, but I tried the regular toothed blade first. Well, it worked great. The teeth were completely gone after about 30 seconds, and the blade was 30% shorter by the time I finished. But it cut like a champ. LOUD, tho. Earplugs recommended.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Oscillating Multi-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
Speaking of multi-tools, I used mine last week to cut a few holes in Permabase CBU. The sheets were already installed. I was cutting holes for shampoo niches. It seemed like the grout blade might be appropriate, but I tried the regular toothed blade first. Well, it worked great. The teeth were completely gone after about 30 seconds, and the blade was 30% shorter by the time I finished. But it cut like a champ. LOUD, tho. Earplugs recommended.
All said though. The job was accomplished. And could you have done it as easily without oscillating technology? That is what I loved. Cost of blades and things got bundled into bids. Clients bought them. I was never wasteful and if charging a client for $12 worth of blade vs. two hours of my time worked out for all?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

Oscillating Multi-tool

i own both the rigid cordless and the bosch mx2.5. the bosch wins hands down over everything but the fein. i know several hardwood installers that have bought the dremel's only to have to replace them within a month

blade wise the bosch blades are great but pricey.. same with the feins. one hardwood flooring installer we use works for a high end flooring dealer which has their own installers for both hardwood and stairs.. all of their guys carry multi tools so they buy the fein blades by cases of 2000 which works out to $7 a blade as opposed to $23 individually.

another spot to buy blades is here

http://www.multiblades.com/index.html
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-31-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #14

Oscillating Multi-tool

i have the harbor freight more expensive model. it works great !
imo a mandatory tool, even for a DIYer.

and yes, the blades/etc for them are expensive for what you get. but, they make a difficult job easy. so in the end, they are actually cheap.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
journeyman carpenter

Oscillating Multi-tool

i wouldnt really call them a must have tool for a diyer as its more of a specialty tool. i use mine all the time for finish work on remodels for getting into tight spots to make a clean cut.

the whole reason i originally bought mine was while on a large high end reno 2 years ago.. the original trim detail had the door casings sitting on top of the baseboard.. the new detail called for plinth blocks which meant cutting the baseboard back to fit the plinth blocks in. the original baseboard was 5 1/2" by 3/4 solid oak.. near impossible to make a nice clean cut with a recip for such a thing

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote