Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

opinions on cordless nailers

im in the market to buy a new 18gauge nailer. there seems to be alot of them on the market these days and not sure what one to get.
all of my cordless tools are ridgid and i was looking at their cordless nailer for $329 with battery and charger(i could always use more batteries) or i seen a reconditioned bare tool for around $200 onlines.
i've used a number of different paslode nailers and i really like them and they seem to last forever but you have to buy the fuel cells and their close to $10 a piece not cheap to use on a daily basics.
i see bostitch cordless gas and i hear fuel cells are few and far between making the tool useless.
i've used the cordless dewalt for 2years till it just randomly crapped out one day but would consider another(sold it for parts)
i see sencos online and they look pretty appealing but dont know much about them.
are there any others?
whats the deal for the best price?
what would you guys recommend?

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,062

paslode, hitachi and bostich all make nailers that run off gas. the paslode is the original, they invented it and just about perfected it. the hitachi's are hit or miss. the bostich guns use the same fuel cells as the paslode's from what i understand though they are still very new on the market so there hasnt been much feedback

for battery operated models, the dewalt and senco were the first two brands on the market.. ive used both the senco was nice. the dewalts jammed up atleast twice an hour, ive used roughly 6 of them.. this is pretty much the case with most of dewalts lineup of nailers.. ive used about a dozen of their nailers and only one didnt jamb within the first 30 minutes of use. rigid makes a cordless but its a piece of junk, check around for the reviews and you will see that they are underpowered and jamb like crazy... most of rigid's cordless gear is hit or miss no matter what tool it is, the only thing really going for it is the warrenty, go into a home depot that has some one that actually knows power tools working there and they will sell you on something other than rigid. Bosch recently released a cordless 18 gauge nailer but it hasnt gone into major distrobution from what ive seen, i have the air model and it doesnt live up to the hype. unfortunatley bosch has some work to do on their nailers to get them to be at the top of the hill like many of their other tools are.

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I cannot speak as to the use of multiple brand, cordless nailers, as the industry generally sticks to "what works", and not to trying and experimenting with various tools.

As with EVERY tool; Care and maintenance is the big factor in keeping any tool functioning properly.

With that in mind, we have run Paslodes for cordless nailers, since at least 2000. We have not had any major issues, and try our best to keep up with the cleaning & maintenance of them.

On a Side Note: Its still amazing, that whenever my workers find out about a new Paslode purchase, "their" particular nail gun (assigned to them) suddenty does not work correctly and they need to use the "new" one to do the job they are being sent to....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

lol, gotta love how the guys on the crew all want to use the new tool

do what we do.. only the boss and the foreman get to use the new tools, you either use the old beat up stuff or use your own and deal with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

i never want to use the new tool, i dont want to be the first person to get some chaulking on it or dirty or whatever. maybe i'll go with the paslode, i know they are good, i just dont like the fuel cell thing cause they cost so much but i wont end up buying a new gun 2years from now.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
lol, gotta love how the guys on the crew all want to use the new tool

do what we do.. only the boss and the foreman get to use the new tools, you either use the old beat up stuff or use your own and deal with it.
Its always one particular foreman.
The "gun that isn't working right" (low and behold, works fine for me) - and always ends up going into the back of my truck.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Hey there AtlanticWBConst.... can you answer the question here: knotty pine vaulted ceiling

Many thanks!
Rimshot65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

at my new job there was 2 guys with the ridgid 18 gauge cordless nailer one has had it for 3.5 years and the other for 3 years and they have both said they have worked fawlessly and the reviews online are a bunch of b.s so i ordered myself one and will be picking it up at the post office tomorrow!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

honestly they must have lucked out. i know a few guys that have had them who had issues along with fine homebuilding reviewed it and they had issues with them.

if your going to be using it regularly i strongly suggest paslode
Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

i knnnoww i knnnow! paslode is the most reliable nailer but i HATE the fuel cells! they suck, stink, and are expensive! im taking the gamble on the ridgid gun, if it doesn't work out i'll have an extra battery charger and boat anchor. the nailer might only take a certain brand of pins and to clean it often and im sure it'll be fine.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimshot65 View Post
Hey there AtlanticWBConst.... can you answer the question here: knotty pine vaulted ceiling

Many thanks!

YOU NEED TO START YOUR OWN THREAD!!!
woodworkbykirk (05-17-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

i just picked up the nailer and i started to shoot stuff around the house haha! the gun works good the only thing is its slow! you hold the trigger and it powers up then shoots