Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

Oil-lubed air compressor, need filter

it is my understanding that it is especially important for an oil lubed air compressor to require an air line filter. Oil getting into tools are no good, except for oil made to lubricate the tools (different grade oil). Is that true?

If so, what kind of filter would I need? Does the regular moisture filter also filter oil?

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Oil-lubed air compressor, need filter

"ace"-I have years of working on air compressors, air piping and air tools. You are correct that oil-lubed air compressors need some type of filtration down-line to remove oil from the compressor, water vapor from the air, and particulates from the air. Remember this: F-R-L, meaning Filtration, Regulation, Lubrication. You probably will not need lubrication within your air line system, just "point-of-use" lubrication at your tools. I do recommend a good coalescing type filter which will remove most of the oil from the compressor, the water from the compressor, and the particulates from the compressor. These can be found at good auto parts stores, places that sell name brand compressors, auto body paint stores, and on-line. The system in my shop cost well over $400. BUT-I want oil less, dry, and clean air for my tools. I also have another coalescing filter to further remove water for painting. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote