Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

New Porter Cable Pancake Compressor C2002 Break In / Accessories

So I got this 6 gal compressor in what I thought was a great deal at Home Depot with a couple of tools. Immediately used it to crown staple a bunch of stuff and used the framing nailer. Works great. Wish I'd gotten years ago.

Even though I'm a manual reader, I'd missed the break-in period instructions. I've put maybe 2 - 3 hours on this thing. I'm wondering if I've done any damage or this is no big deal at all. The following was the break in info and I'm putting it here in case anyone searches for this unit so they'll maybe get a better chance to see it before they start theirs.

----
From the manual...

This procedure is required before the air compressor is put into service and when the check valve or a complete compressor pump has been replaced.

1. Make sure the On/Auto/Off lever is in the "Off" position.
2. Plug the power cord into the correct branch circuit receptacle. (Refer to Voltage and Circuit
Protection paragraph in the Installation section of this manual.)
3. Open the drain valve (counterclockwise) fully to permit air to escape and prevent air pressure build up in the air tank during the break-in period.
4. Move the On/Auto/Off lever to "On/Auto" position. The compressor will start.
5. Run the compressor for 15 minutes. Make sure the drain valve is open and there is minimal air
pressure build-up in tank.
6. After 15 minutes, close the drain valve by turning clockwise. The air receiver will fill to "cut-out"
pressure and the motor will stop. The compressor is now ready
-----

Two questions:

* Anyone think I've done any damage? It's not even clear why to do this except remove condensation, which I probably did when I drained it after my work.

* Also, anyone have favorite brands for accessories for blowers and tire gauge / inflators? The hose I've got has a quick connect, but I notice some accessories don't seem to have that. Do I have to get an adapter for every accessory? Or are some of those adapter "kits" I see likely to have all standard sizes?

Thanks,
Scott

Scottg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 138

I used to sell and work on compressors and have owned dozens of them and I've never heard of such a thing. I would not worry about it.
All your accessories and tools should all just have the same size connector on them.
I buy my connectors at Northern Tools in the big packs with males females in the same pack so I'll have some on hand.
Rare to see a tool or accessory come with a connector on it.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Thanks Joe.

That's what I'd thought in terms of break in. It just didn't seem like that big a deal; mostly just want to make sure any condensation / water is cleared out and I can do that easily enough every time I use it.

As for connectors, I'll just have to to sort out what the standard size is for mine and get the appropriate adapters.

Thanks for reply.

Scott
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 138

A simple set like this will work.
It's the same size as OEM supplied female connectors on smaller compressors.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_42547_42547
Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

for a oil less compressor a break in period is rarely redundant.. for oiled compressors its more likely to need it as to simply help clean out any filings that may be in the diaphram chamber from manufacturing... i dont know too many guys that actually do the initial 30 minutes of run time then change the oil.. i didnt with my hitachi which is 4 years old now and i havent had any issues with it
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A simple set like this will work.
It's the same size as OEM supplied female connectors on smaller compressors.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_42547_42547
Great. I've used Northern Tool before; seems to be quality stuff. Would hate to have crappy high pressure fittings.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 78

Just plug it in and start using it. Gee, this is as bad as people that get brand new hdtv sets, and never use them for six months to watch tv, but will leave them on the whole time running slides to "break" them in.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottg View Post
Great. I've used Northern Tool before; seems to be quality stuff. Would hate to have crappy high pressure fittings.
I just go to the local Ace Hardware if I need a replacement fitting for my compressor or tools. Even Harbor Freight is just as good. They all come from the same factories in China, there is not much to them, than a couple of metal pieces and a spring.

Usually when they fail, they will leak air when the hose is off, while the unit is charged.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

typically its the seal on the female fitting that goes.. i have 5 hoses. totalling 250 ft.. two of which have 3/8 fittings and 3 with 1/4". plus i have reducer fittings and 2 splitter fittings for running two or more hoses.. i have to replace rouhgly 3 fittings a year as they wear out. if you want longer lasting fittings youl have to go to a tool supplier who sellls higher quality fittings
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #10

I just got the 1/4 fittings from HD today along with a blow gun and inflator. Everything fits fine.

It's just interesting to me that for folks who are really new users of such things they don't just label this stuff a little better to make it clear. It wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't have packages with various size fittings. But when you see the multiple sizes, it does beg the question, "which fits with which?"

They'd probably increase sales if the industry just had color codes or standard the standard sizes, "M, N" and so on, always on packages and stamped on the products.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottg View Post
I just got the 1/4 fittings from HD today along with a blow gun and inflator. Everything fits fine.

It's just interesting to me that for folks who are really new users of such things they don't just label this stuff a little better to make it clear. It wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't have packages with various size fittings. But when you see the multiple sizes, it does beg the question, "which fits with which?"

They'd probably increase sales if the industry just had color codes or standard the standard sizes, "M, N" and so on, always on packages and stamped on the products.
You wasted money on the blow gun and inflator, take them back. As for the sizing, it depends on the use, as to the size of the coupling that you are using. I use only the heavy duty Male & female fittings on my compressor. They last a lot longer than the light duty.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
You wasted money on the blow gun and inflator, take them back. .....
Can you expand on that? I use my blowgun and inflator all the time with my small compressor. Both are very useful.
dftc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 62

I'm curious about that comment also----I keep a blow gun handy good for removing dust from crevices---
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I'm curious about that comment also----I keep a blow gun handy good for removing dust from crevices---
Heck,I just used mine yesterday to blow the dust off of me.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 62

I wish I had the compressor yesterday---I was wearing my one set of 'calling on customers' clothes ---then spent an hour sanding cabinet doors--

I never can keep nice clothes for vary long---