Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #1

Share |

Never buy a Fluke meter

Old 10-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Exclamation

Never buy a Fluke meter

From the looks of the leads in that picture, it was set to read AMPS, not Volts.

Those meters are supposed to have a safety fuse installed, and what do you bet that fuse was bypassed to ensure pyrotechnics like that?

The take-home message here is not "never buy a fluke' but should be "always read and follow directions" when using this test equipment.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #3

Never buy a Fluke meter

Agreed...Improperly used meters can cause some serious burns. It isn't a Fluke-specific thing. A recent issue of my IAEI (International Association of Electrical Inspectors) magazine did an article on this topic, and showed major damage and injury from pretty much every brand of meter on the market, all from misuse.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #4

Never buy a Fluke meter

Get ready for more shoddy junk from Fluke.

Thy have taken up the practice of putting "Designed In USA" to mislead you into thnking it's made her.

I just returned a 116 because Fluke customer service told me it was mad in China. They don't put on the meter body, I found in very small print on the back of the packing. What's Fluke got to hide?

With all the dangerous stuff comming out of China would you trust a Chinese made Fluke?

Not when that country disregards the certs and safety laws.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #5

Never buy a Fluke meter

Fair enough. But if you want to gripe about a product, gripe about it based on the merits of the argument. Putting a picture of an exploded meter is misleading, and flirts with the notion that it happened because it was a Fluke. Not so.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #6

Never buy a Fluke meter

Was told by counter guy Fluke was made here.

I pay for meter and go to truck and open package. On back of cardboard backing it says "Made in China". On the meter body it's says "Designed in USA". that's is misleading. I called the customer service line and Fluke rep verifies almost apologetically that it is China made.

I am a buy American guy. For years i use UEI and took heat form other HVACers for using them. I saw no reason to pay so much for a meter if the most I'll ever measure is 220v.

But now with more jobs being lost overseas it's more important than ever that if I am not going to be a hypocrite I gotta start practicing what I preach.

Fluke mislead me with their labeling so why not show some old Fluke safety footage to give them a taste of their own medicine?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Never buy a Fluke meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Fluke mislead me with their labeling so why not show some old Fluke safety footage to give them a taste of their own medicine?
You're PO'd that Fluke's labeling wasn't clear so you feel misled. Fair enough. So, in an effort to "give them a taste of their own medicine" you're posting footage of what is supposedly a Fluke meter just exploding because it is junk, which misleads other people. Nice.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #8

Never buy a Fluke meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You're PO'd that Fluke's labeling wasn't clear so you feel misled. Fair enough. So, in an effort to "give them a taste of their own medicine" you're posting footage of what is supposedly a Fluke meter just exploding because it is junk, which misleads other people. Nice.
It's Flukes footage. I tried to get customer service to have somebody return my call.Nada.

So considering what they have done to the PUBLIC not me, no I have no remorse.

There is plenty of quality issues with the Chinese meters too.

The temp function won't read accurately if it's brought in from a cold truck to warm a house until the meter warms up to room ambient. It's supposed to ambient compensated.
Samething in hot weather. The reading in micro amps ghost all over.

Somebody has got to get the word out.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #9

Never buy a Fluke meter

Too bad you're using a forum like this to air your grievances. So be it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #10

Never buy a Fluke meter

Ok maybe it's a little selfish but I want to warn any one who thinks they are getting Fluke American made quality to be ware.
If you were going to buy a meter you'd want to know wouldn't you?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Electrician

Never buy a Fluke meter

I cant believe you cant belive something is not made in the US. Get used to it. I doubt you can buy an American Flag that was made here is in US.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #12

Never buy a Fluke meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I cant believe you cant belive something is not made in the US. Get used to it. I doubt you can buy an American Flag that was made here is in US.

This isn't on me. I am fully aware how much crap comes in from China.

I specifically asked if it was made here and i was told it was. So I got two good reasons for being POed, being lied to and spending $180 on a meter of low quality.

Had i known the Fluke was made in China i would never have bothered to buy it. I would have bought another UEI meter.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
Electrician

Never buy a Fluke meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
This isn't on me. I am fully aware how much crap comes in from China.

I specifically asked if it was made here and i was told it was. So I got two good reasons for being POed, being lied to and spending $180 on a meter of low quality.

Had i known the Fluke was made in China i would never have bothered to buy it. I would have bought another UEI meter.
Thats different, and that should have been your first post. I personally like Fluke meters.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #14

Never buy a Fluke meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Thats different, and that should have been your first post. I personally like Fluke meters.
And I was loving my 116 too! I liked the way it felt and looked and I'd known it to be a old line American company.

Man! I was like a kid with a new toy. I was even willing to adjust to the fact it was made in China. I waited a week and asked other HVACers how they liked it. I got too high of a percentage of people complaining about quality. It was then i took it back for a refund and that new toy feeling turned into buyer remorse.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #15

Never buy a Fluke meter

My suggestion would be that next time you're going to buy a tool, do a little research first since manufacturer location is obviously very important to you. Don't take the word of a guy that works the counter at a hardware store or supply house...Like he knows! That way you don't feel duped.

Instead of bagging on Fluke, why don't you make this a productive post and make a recommendation for an American made alternative with a reputation for high quality products?

Closed Thread