DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Never buy a Fluke meter

33K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·

See less See more
#2 ·
From the looks of the leads in that picture, it was set to read AMPS, not Volts.:eek:

Those meters are supposed to have a safety fuse installed, and what do you bet that fuse was bypassed to ensure pyrotechnics like that? :furious:

The take-home message here is not "never buy a fluke' but should be "always read and follow directions" when using this test equipment.:mad:

#3 ·
Agreed...Improperly used meters can cause some serious burns. It isn't a Fluke-specific thing. A recent issue of my IAEI (International Association of Electrical Inspectors) magazine did an article on this topic, and showed major damage and injury from pretty much every brand of meter on the market, all from misuse.

#4 ·
Get ready for more shoddy junk from Fluke.

Thy have taken up the practice of putting "Designed In USA" to mislead you into thnking it's made her.

I just returned a 116 because Fluke customer service told me it was mad in China. They don't put on the meter body, I found in very small print on the back of the packing. What's Fluke got to hide?

With all the dangerous stuff comming out of China would you trust a Chinese made Fluke?

Not when that country disregards the certs and safety laws.

#6 ·
Was told by counter guy Fluke was made here.

I pay for meter and go to truck and open package. On back of cardboard backing it says "Made in China". On the meter body it's says "Designed in USA". that's is misleading. I called the customer service line and Fluke rep verifies almost apologetically that it is China made.

I am a buy American guy. For years i use UEI and took heat form other HVACers for using them. I saw no reason to pay so much for a meter if the most I'll ever measure is 220v.

But now with more jobs being lost overseas it's more important than ever that if I am not going to be a hypocrite I gotta start practicing what I preach.

Fluke mislead me with their labeling so why not show some old Fluke safety footage to give them a taste of their own medicine?

#7 ·
Fluke mislead me with their labeling so why not show some old Fluke safety footage to give them a taste of their own medicine?
You're PO'd that Fluke's labeling wasn't clear so you feel misled. Fair enough. So, in an effort to "give them a taste of their own medicine" you're posting footage of what is supposedly a Fluke meter just exploding because it is junk, which misleads other people. Nice.

#12 ·
I cant believe you cant belive something is not made in the US. Get used to it. :wink: I doubt you can buy an American Flag that was made here is in US.

This isn't on me. I am fully aware how much crap comes in from China.

I specifically asked if it was made here and i was told it was. So I got two good reasons for being POed, being lied to and spending $180 on a meter of low quality.

Had i known the Fluke was made in China i would never have bothered to buy it. I would have bought another UEI meter.

#15 ·
My suggestion would be that next time you're going to buy a tool, do a little research first since manufacturer location is obviously very important to you. Don't take the word of a guy that works the counter at a hardware store or supply house...Like he knows! That way you don't feel duped.

Instead of bagging on Fluke, why don't you make this a productive post and make a recommendation for an American made alternative with a reputation for high quality products?

#16 ·
My suggestion would be that next time you're going to buy a tool, do a little research first since manufacturer location is obviously very important to you. Don't take the word of a guy that works the counter at a hardware store or supply house...Like he knows! That way you don't feel duped.

Instead of bagging on Fluke, why don't you make this a productive post and make a recommendation for an American made alternative with a reputation for high quality products?
The guy that told me was the salesman of a monster meter distribtor.
He should have known his stuff.

OK. Simpson, CPS,. Thrmal Products, Tif, Robinaire, .

Will you remove the stop work order now?:):wink:

#21 ·
Well, my profession is in electronics, and have owned and used a fluke meter for many many many years with no problem. As far as being made in China.....It would be very difficult to go to the store and NOT buy something from China. Personally, I believe they manufacture some of the biggest pieces of crap on the market, but if its not being made here, what do you do?

#25 ·
Yup, I lost count years ago as to how many time my meter has been dropped, stepped on, and kicked across the room. STILL, never gave me any problems.

Good to see another electronic tech on this site. Been at it going on 32 years.

Yep, I also started out 32 years ago as a refrigeration tech after dropping out of electronics in college. Got back into electronics about 5 years later. Worked at it about 20 years. Now back in refrigeration. Still have my Fluke and my old Simpson 260-5 and 260-6, Not to mention all my bench test equipment.:yes:

#27 · (Edited)
Here is but another example of Flukes screw ups.

I have friends whose meters are frying right out of the box...Fluke ain't what it used to be. It's just resting on it's laurels

]
H 1ACRecall

Important!
Safety notice and recall for the Fluke 1AC-I VoltAlertTM Voltage Tester

Updated March 8, 2010 March, 2010
Dear Fluke Customer:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Fluke is voluntarily recalling its Fluke 1AC-I VoltAlertTM voltage tester, a product that was first released for sale on September 29, 2009. The affected model number is listed in the table below. If you own a Fluke 1AC-I (1AC-A1-I), please stop using it and send it back to Fluke for a replacement unit. If you are not the primary user of the 1AC-I please pass this notice along to the appropriate people within your organization.
Product marking: Description: 1AC-AI
FLUKE-1AC-I VoltAlertTM Voltage Tester
This recall does not include VoltAlert models 1AC-II, 1LAC-II and LVD2, none of which includes the battery check button or the Fluke logo on its clip, as shown below on the recalled units pictured.
Identifying the product

To properly identify your 1AC-I tester as a recalled product, look for the four product characteristics below.
Description of the problem

The testers can fail to give an indication of live voltage, resulting in the operator falsely believing the electrical power is off, posing a risk of serious injury or death from electrical shock or thermal burns.
Actions

1. Stop using the Fluke 1AC-I even if you have not experienced problems.
  2. Verify your 1AC is affected by this recall using the images above.
  3. Return your 1AC-I for a free replacement of either a Fluke 1AC-II or LVD2.
    • Visit www.fluke.com/1ACRecall or call (888) 97-FLUKE (35853), 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday - Friday. Follow the instructions provided and we will send you a prepaid mailer to return your unit at no cost. If contacting Fluke outside the operation hours of 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time, follow the instructions provided to receive your prepaid mailer.
      OR
    • Ship your 1AC-I voltage tester with your name and complete mailing address (using the form on the back of this page) to:
      Fluke Corporation
      Attn: 1AC-I Customer Returns
      1420 75th St SW Bldg 4
      Everett, WA 98204
  4. Indicate which replacement product you would like Fluke to provide. a. Fluke 1AC-II b. Fluke LVD2. For a description of these two products see the back of this letter or visit ww.fluke.com/1ACrecall
  5. When Fluke receives your 1AC-I, we will send you, free of charge, the Fluke model 1AC-II or LVD2 that you selected. Note: If no selection is made, Fluke will automatically send a 1AC-II.
We are undertaking this voluntary recall because we place tremendous importance on our customer's safety and the reputation of our products. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this action.
Sincerely,
Barbara Hulit
President, Fluke Corporation

SearchCorporation

#35 ·
My profession is an electronics repair tech, and I use a fluke, and have for many years. However, it is an older one, which might explain things. In reguards to you "made in China" comment, I couldn't agree wih you more. I have NEVER seen anything electronic come out of China that was of good quality. I repair televisions, and most of the flat-panel sets are being made in China. Believe me, they are nothing buy junk!

#36 ·
The low-quality and outright dangerous stuff isn't limited to electronics. It was discussed at length in another thread on this forum. But the marketplace will ultimately decide. If they (the China industrial complex) won't straighten out their act, they'll go down and be forgotten. :no:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.