Need Help Deciding On A Drill - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help deciding on a drill

I am looking into getting a new cordless drill and, due to a nice discount I get at work, have narrowed it down to these four. Does anyone have any experience and/or input that may help?

DeWalt DC725KA

Milwaukee 2602-22CT or 2601-22

Makita LXFD01CW

Thank you!

Advertisement

Verbalkint99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I've probably had every brand there is over the years. My favorite was a Ridgid but battery cost was just absurd. Almost all of the cordless drills will use the same exact motor and that's the Towers and Johnson motor. I'd look at how it fits your hand and battery cost for replacement moreso than brand. I'm now buying the Harbor Freight cheapys because batteries are cheap and when it breaks, I can throw it away and get 5 more for the price of one of these over priced tools. So far, the HF drills have been holding up a lot better than I expected.
FWIW, a friend has a Makita and I didn't like it at all. It was noisy and just didn't fit the my hand. It's my understanding that Milwaukee is now made in China.......kinda like the Harbor Freight drill. I won't own anything with the Dewalt name anymore since the original company sold out. They're going a lot on the previous name with their cheap crap.

Advertisement

TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL
I've probably had every brand there is over the years. My favorite was a Ridgid but battery cost was just absurd. Almost all of the cordless drills will use the same exact motor and that's the Towers and Johnson motor. I'd look at how it fits your hand and battery cost for replacement moreso than brand. I'm now buying the Harbor Freight cheapys because batteries are cheap and when it breaks, I can throw it away and get 5 more for the price of one of these over priced tools. So far, the HF drills have been holding up a lot better than I expected.
FWIW, a friend has a Makita and I didn't like it at all. It was noisy and just didn't fit the my hand. It's my understanding that Milwaukee is now made in China.......kinda like the Harbor Freight drill. I won't own anything with the Dewalt name anymore since the original company sold out. They're going a lot on the previous name with their cheap crap.
I believe Makita makes there own motors! Dewalt did too! A old wood magazine I had tested 12 volt drills and Dewalt and Makita had their own motors! Everyone else used Johnson motors!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbalkint99 View Post
I am looking into getting a new cordless drill and, due to a nice discount I get at work, have narrowed it down to these four. Does anyone have any experience and/or input that may help?

DeWalt DC725KA

Milwaukee 2602-22CT or 2601-22

Makita LXFD01CW

Thank you!
Ridgid has a life time warrenty on their batteries i belive here is a quote from the co. Just save the sales slip and regester the tool right away on line. WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGIDŽ Brand products.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote