Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

Need Framing Nailer Recomondation

Hello
I would like to buy a Framing Nailer and need to hear some opinions on brand names. I want something that will hold up over years of use.

I will be using it mainly for putting up wooden horse fencing, using 3-3.5 inch nails -- but would like something versitile to use in other applications.

TIA
Mike

MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Experienced goon

I use a Hitachi NR83A2S, 3.5" round head. I've had it about 2 years, bought it after reading a lot of reviews and forums. Has never misfired, really well balanced (though heavy). And it looks classy, none of that neon green they're doing now.

jpelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Mike, If you click on "Search" (in the banner at the top of this page) and enter "Framing Nailers" you'll get 25 hits:

http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php?searchid=705347
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #4

Mike I have a Porter Cable bought a few years ago, have had very good luck with it. Did have one significant jam, took it to tool repair place, they told me they did not work on those but to just disassemble what I could and beat the s...t out of it driving the nail out, which I did, got the nail out and nailer works fine.

Last edited by mike4; 03-26-2009 at 05:40 PM.
mike4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #5

I got a RIGID framer from HD, $240. Has never jammed on me, used it to reframe about 100 linear feet of wall/sheathing, built a 10x20 shed with it, various other stuff around the house. Works nicely. Nails are $40/50 a box. Orange/black in color. A bit on the heavy side, two years old and still goin. Great for a weekend warrior like myself.

johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

We deal with a lot of contractors at work - this is the one they recommended to me. I liked the weight and balance...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90157
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Harbor Freight Baby,not a better deal around,get one sale with a box of nail's and a 2 year x-warranty,you are out the door under a 100 bucks,
gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Crazy, but lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboost View Post
Harbor Freight Baby,not a better deal around,get one sale with a box of nail's and a 2 year x-warranty,you are out the door under a 100 bucks,
And you'll probably be going in back IN the door more than once to replace it!
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #9

Maybe but I would bet maybe not..
gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
DIY Expert in Training!

I bought the Porter Cable from Amazon. It was reconditioned and worked great for a terrific price. Used it recently to frame out the inside of my garage to split it into an office and half garage. Worked great for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2" nails
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Nailerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Hello
I will be using it mainly for putting up wooden horse fencing, using 3-3.5 inch nails -- but would like something versitile to use in other applications.

TIA
Mike
I would recommend the Paslode F350S PowerMaster Plus. It will drive up to 3-1/2" nails

Last edited by beenthere; 08-23-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Removed link to his web site
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #12

My Bostich is 15+ yrs old and still going strong. But if you do fences, consider a Pasload, no air hose or compressor needed. However, this is not a heavy volumn tool, great for fences, additions, remodeling, but I would not recommend it for framing a house.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #13

I have used both the Paslode and Ridgid nailers and both are very nice. I only used well used paslodes and newer Ridgids so I can't tell you much about reliability. I would say the Ridgid is a bit lighter but the paslode has a better name behind it and has reliability. Not sure about the Ridgid. You can switch the Ridgid from multi fire to single fire with a little dial on the trigger. It also has a swivel air connector and turnable exhaust vent which is nice when your in awkard positions and don't want the exhaust in your face. The Ridgid also has adjustable nail depth which can be handy. The paslode may or may not have this(turnable exhaust). I think some of the guns did and the others did too but had seized up. Regardless it is made in taiwan and the Paslode is made in USA so you should give it seroius consideration. I have never used a Stanley nailer but I imagine they would be just as good as the Paslode or Ridgid. I could have sworn that Dewalt made a framing nailer but it's not on Home Depot's website. Dewalt has it on their website though.
http://www.paslode.com/products/tool...og/F-350s.html
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R350CHA-Nailer/EN/index.htm
.http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5698
joel v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #14

get the paslode 350s. its powerful, light, I personally prefer the paper coalated nails over the plastic and wire coalated. takes all different sizes of nails, depth of drive is easy with the on tool allen wrench and adjustable nose piece. I've had mine for 5 years now without a problem at all. drives into microlams no problem. we have a few of these along with a bostich, hilti, and hitachi at work and most of the guys like the hitachi and paslode. the hitachi is a nice working gun also , but I dont like the plastic coalated nails. i've had the plastic pieces shoot out while fireing on several occasions (watch your eyes). and also the nail strips tend to break apart if the box isnt stored carfully and gets banged around. just my opinion
mikeybobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #15
Late stage optimist

Hitachi makes the best framing nailers according to a guy I know who is a framer by trade. He has tried others, and Hitachi is the most durable with the best features. Not cheap, but also not made in China. Made in Japan.

fuster is offline   Reply With Quote