DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   Need to buy a circular saw (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/need-buy-circular-saw-54547/)

Jopopsy 10-06-2009 02:10 PM

Need to buy a circular saw
 
Hey Gang,

Looking to build a work bench, deck box, and a shed (next spring). Afterwards, who knows what I can get myself into. Anyway I'm looking to buy a circular saw and I've narrowed my picks down to two.

DeWalt DW369CSK
Makita 5007MGA

I'm not the kind of guy that likes to buy crap tools, but if I don't need to spend upwards of 180 bucks b/c the DeWalt will do just fine - that's good by me.

What say you guys?

Thanks,
Jopopsy

Mr Chips 10-06-2009 04:16 PM

both nice

i think the cord on the makita is twice as long

DangerMouse 10-06-2009 04:47 PM

For me, it's a hands down DeWalt DC390 6-1/2" circular (cordless.)
I use this thing SOOOOO much. I hate cords... they always snag at the end of the cut on a panel... grrrrr.....and you worry where the cord is so you don't cut it, where to plug it in, if the cord is long enough to reach...etc....

DM

Yoyizit 10-06-2009 04:53 PM

The first one puts out 2200W; how many watts per dollar for each?

Almost forgot: hand surgeons charge four kilobucks per hour. Careful.

Jopopsy 10-06-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMouse (Post 337195)
For me, it's a hands down DeWalt DC390 6-1/2" circular (cordless.)
I use this thing SOOOOO much. I hate cords... they always snag at the end of the cut on a panel... grrrrr.....and you worry where the cord is so you don't cut it, where to plug it in, if the cord is long enough to reach...etc....

DM

I had never considered cordless b/c I didn't think they'd have enough juice to build a shed. If I have 2 batteries, can I get a days work out of cutting w/ one of these?

Trust me, I'm not a power monger - at least w/ things that can cut me. If this is good enough to build a shed I'm okay w/ it.

Oh, is the XRP ni-cad versions of DeWalt tools any good? Everybody seems to have passed Ni-Mh and went onto Li-ion - Nicad is pretty old technology. ????

:surrender:

DangerMouse 10-06-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jopopsy (Post 337239)
If I have 2 batteries, can I get a days work out of cutting w/ one of these?

without a doubt... i've built 7 sheds/outbuildings/chicken coops, etc. AND my entire home with mine and 2 packs. they fast charge and last a good long time cutting too, so having a fresh battery is never a concern. they have all the power i need too. i swear by mine. 5 years and still the original blade too, i've had to sharpen it a couple times is all.

DM

Jopopsy 10-06-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMouse (Post 337246)
without a doubt... i've built 7 sheds/outbuildings/chicken coops, etc. AND my entire home with mine and 2 packs. they fast charge and last a good long time cutting too, so having a fresh battery is never a concern. they have all the power i need too. i swear by mine. 5 years and still the original blade too, i've had to sharpen it a couple times is all.

DM

So I assume you're using the XRP Ni-Cad variety and not the Li-Ion right? Hrm .... if I went this route me thinks I'd need to buy the 18V XRP driver for the extra battery packs ...

Clutchcargo 10-06-2009 06:57 PM

I bought the Makita 5007MGA and never plugged it in before I brought it back. Right out of the box, the base was 3/16 out of alignment. I've got the Makita with the dust collection and it's perfect (made in Japan).

Jopopsy 10-06-2009 07:02 PM

I guess I'm leaning towards either the corded or cordless DeWalt. I had never considered cordless, but I feel like I'd have to have another battery pack to make it worth it. Which means I could go out and get a 18V drill - but the hangup there is I don't 'need' the drill right now. I have a 2 year old Makita 12V mForce drill that torques almost as much as the DeWalt 14.4. So I'm okay w/ the drill.

I guess I could always buy a extra battery pack for just the saw, but now either way we're talkng more $$ than the corded DeWalt.

Of course, I've never really cut wood w/ a circular saw before so the smaller / slower appeals to me right now. I'm awfully careful w/ things else I wouldn't even bother, but its still a powered saw afterall.

zircon 10-06-2009 07:13 PM

Expensive tools are for pros
 
For a DIYer who will use it 4 or 5 times a year a decent tool will do. I have a Ryobi that I paid about $60 for, and it has framed two Habitat houses and other misc work and is going strong. Unless you are using it every day there is no need to buy high end tools. I read one time that Germans like their high end tools, and the average German DIYer will buy a power tool that will last 250 years based on his weekend usage.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved