Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Nailer for Occasional Use

I'm a DIYer who lives in a small townhouse, and I don't have much room to store big tools. I've never used a nail gun, but I watch those HGTV shows in which they always seem to use a nail gun for everything, and they are obviously very efficient. I don't want to buy a pneumatic nail gun because I wouldn't have room for the compressor. I'm wondering if there is some kind of nail gun for a occasional DIYer. I would mostly use it for installing trim or some other light use -- not framing. Any suggestions? I've noticed the Paslode nailer, and the Dewalt finish nailer on the Lowe's website.

MrBill_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

the gas fired are great for occasional use, or full time, not having to deal with anything but a compact tool case. People here can chime in on there prefered type i just know you need to oil as required and keep them clean. Have used them have never had the means to buy since I already have air powered

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

preferred brand:

Myneighbors

Cheap and absolutely no upkeep costs.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
preferred brand:

Myneighbors

Cheap and absolutely no upkeep costs.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Gas powered nailers are great. I have used a few brands. I would go with the tried and true Paslode guns. They make 16d nailers as well as trim guns.
Chevy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I have two of the paslode impulse framing guns and the angle and straight finish guns and they are really nice for taking with me so I don't have to drag a compressor along and set it up. If I was you I would look into a porter cable or bostich small compressor combo deal. You can find them for about the same price as one paslode gun. The combo comes with a small pancake compressor and 3 guns usually a 16 gauge, 18 gauge, and a stapler. The compressor doesn't take up a very big foot print and the guns are small to. I think this would give you the most bang for your buck if you are only using it occasionally. And then you also have a compressor for other things like inflating tires and a blow nozzle, and what ever else you need. Finish guns don't need a big compressor. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

If I had to choose between 1 cordless finish nail gun or a small compressor and 3 guns I would choose the compressor setup because it's more versatile.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have a small Senco brad/finish nailer with compressor that came as a combo. came in a box about 16" and gun and compressor all fit in box. works great for just about all i need. takes up no space,shoots 2-1/2 brads down to 1"
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

I have a full complement of air nailers from micro to framing. I have also had and used both the paslode trim and framing impulse guns. For someone that is just going to shoot some trim up now and then, it's hard to beat the dewalt 18v cordless trim gun. It shoots up to 2 1/2" 16 gauge finish nails, doesn't require any maintenance other than charging the batteries, doesn't smell, has an adjustable depth control, and actually works very well.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

My first nailer purchase was a Paslode angle finish nailer about 10 years ago. I use it on a weekly basis. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

I do have a few compressor driven nailers for heavy work. Use the right tool for the right application.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I introduced the first gas powered nail gun for Paslode many years ago so have a bias I suppose. We affectionately called it the fart-n-nail because of the gas discharge smell. I think the cartridges are still a bit pricey?

I agree with a prior post that you ought to consider one of the electric/battery options for occasional use.

There is also the option to rent nice, high end equipment as needed.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
........I agree with a prior post that you ought to consider one of the electric/battery options for occasional use. ......
Another vote for the electrics. You don't want to find after the Paslode has been sitting on the shelf for three months that the gas has all leaked out.

Another advantage is you will have a hook into the DeWalt line of 18V cordless tools.

http://www.toolbarn.com/dewalt-DC608K.html

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

I have never had the opportunity to use an electric nailgun. Are they as powerful as the air or gas powered guns?

I can see a lot of advantages in the electric, What are the disadvantages?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,002

Nap,
It drives 2 1/2" nails into oak. Haven't had any issues with it at all. Easy to use, not really finicky at all. It has a flywheel inside that spins when you depress the nose of the tool. When you pull the trigger, it engages a mechanism similar to a rack and pinion that drives the nail. It also has a couple of led lights that help if lighting conditions are on the dim side.
http://www.toolup.com/dewalt/dc608k.html#
That's not me in the pic. Pulled it off the above link.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

I am currenty shopping for a Finish nail gun to accomplish my base molding and Crown Molding.

How do I determine whether I should go for straight gun or angeled gun ?
Does the angeled gun work for straight nails also ?

If one tool good for one guage (ex 18 guage), can I use the same machine for other guages also ? Or only one tool is good for one quage only.

Please help..
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Nap,
It drives 2 1/2" nails into oak. .
)
thanks. For the occasional user, if these things have a decent life expectancy, it sounds like this is the way to go. Sure will be in consideration if I find the need for a nail gun.