DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   Nailer for hardi (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/nailer-hardi-191207/)

digitalplumber 11-29-2013 06:06 PM

Nailer for hardi
 
Which one have you used or do you recommend? or none at all?

sixeightten 11-29-2013 06:10 PM

We use a framing nailer with a 2" round head galvanized nail. Turn the pressure down and flush up the nail head with a hammer as needed.

joecaption 11-29-2013 06:39 PM

I owned and tried to use a framing nailer, roofing nailer, total failure!
I bought this gun and use it for all my siding jobs and even fencing.
http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...+Siding+Nailer
A siding nailer uses a smaller gauge nail with a ring shank the whole length unlike a framing nailer.

woodworkbykirk 11-29-2013 08:22 PM

use a siding nailer as mentioned by joe.. the nail has to be flush with the face.. only siding nailers have nails with a thin enough head to do this

the harti nails for framing guns have a much thicker head.. if you set the head flush with the siding it will crack the siding

sixeightten 11-29-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk (Post 1272989)
use a siding nailer as mentioned by joe.. the nail has to be flush with the face.. only siding nailers have nails with a thin enough head to do this

the harti nails for framing guns have a much thicker head.. if you set the head flush with the siding it will crack the siding

While the siding gun is nice, the framing gun can also work if used correctly. We have used it on several Hardi jobs with no issues.

Gary in WA 11-29-2013 09:37 PM

From the Hardie site;
BLIND NAILING
Nails - Wood Framing
• Siding nail (0.09" shank x 0.221" HD x 2" long)
• 11ga. roofing nail (0.121" shank x 0.371" HD x 1.25" long)




FACE NAILING
Nails - Wood Framing
• 6d (0.113" shank x 0.267" HD x 2" long)
• Siding nail (0.09” shank x 0.221” HD x 2” long)


Don't shoot the messenger, lol. From; http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...eplank-hz5.pdf Hz10 is the same, both cover the U.S.

Gary

sixeightten 11-29-2013 10:17 PM

Of course the OP has not stated which type of Hardie siding, lap, shake, panel, or nailing method.

digitalplumber 11-29-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixeightten (Post 1273015)
Of course the OP has not stated which type of Hardie siding, lap, shake, panel, or nailing method.



8 inch lap board, blind nailing

digitalplumber 11-29-2013 10:46 PM

Gary, was this for me? I have that document, thanks. Wanting to see what others are successfully using to insert the nails with.

Thanks





Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in WA (Post 1273008)
From the Hardie site;
BLIND NAILING
Nails - Wood Framing
Siding nail (0.09" shank x 0.221" HD x 2" long)
11ga. roofing nail (0.121" shank x 0.371" HD x 1.25" long)




FACE NAILING
Nails - Wood Framing
6d (0.113" shank x 0.267" HD x 2" long)
Siding nail (0.09 shank x 0.221 HD x 2 long)


Don't shoot the messenger, lol. From; http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...eplank-hz5.pdf Hz10 is the same, both cover the U.S.

Gary


Gary in WA 11-29-2013 11:57 PM

For anyone! I use a siding gun, Joe linked it. Carrying a framing gun when doing siding is heavy on the arm and nail belt as it hangs there when not in use.... bad enough to use when framing (37 years)- like apples to oranges in weight/ease of use/time wasted loading/magazine capacity/nail placement/built in exposure gauge/closeness to board end without blow-out corners- just no comparison, (been-there-done-that) IMO. Depends on if you want the siding product warranty.

Gary

sixeightten 11-30-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in WA (Post 1273034)
For anyone! I use a siding gun, Joe linked it. Carrying a framing gun when doing siding is heavy on the arm and nail belt as it hangs there when not in use.... bad enough to use when framing (37 years)- like apples to oranges in weight/ease of use/time wasted loading/magazine capacity/nail placement/built in exposure gauge/closeness to board end without blow-out corners- just no comparison, (been-there-done-that) IMO. Depends on if you want the siding product warranty.

Gary

Been there, done that also! But only for 30 years. In my opinion, a framing gun is a lot more versatile for a homeowner than a siding gun. I also never hang any gun from my tool belt. A framing nailer is an acceptable nailer according to James Hardie.

digitalplumber 11-30-2013 09:16 AM

I actually have a Bostitch N89C, but have not researched if there are any nails that fit this unit, that would be suitable for nailing hardi?

joecaption 11-30-2013 10:50 AM

I use my siding nailer for building slat fences, installing 1 X 4 and 1 X 6 exterior trim, vinyl lumber, building bird houses ECT.

woodworkbykirk 11-30-2013 03:32 PM

im with joe.. a framing gun is for FRAMING. siding nailers are for siding, putting on fence boards. underlay and other things..

the framing gun is just too aggresive and hte nails have too heavy gauge a head which DO crack the siding far worse and much more often than the siding nailer. ive installed countless panels of the stuff and the siding nailer has been the least worrysome.. ive hand nailed with roofing nails.. used a roofing gun along with even screwing it on a commercial job where we had to fasten to heavy gauge steel studs

as for blind nailing 8" im pretty sure it wont be covered by warrenty if you nail it that way. it has to be face nailed.. theyve had issues with heavy winds blowing it off so now only the 5" exposure harti can be blind nailed


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved