Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nail gun shock injuries

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but had a few questions for everyone regarding nail guns and shock related injuries.

I'm a student at Worcester Polytechnic Institute and for one of my grad classes we are applying axiomatic design to manufacturing tools and processes to improve them (don't worry, I don't know what axiomatic design is either :-P) . Our group decided to look into nail guns and the possibility of creating some kind of shock absorbing system to help eliminate shock related injury.

I have very little experience with nail guns (especially over long periods of time) and wanted to ask a more experienced group about these particular injuries. Would you say there is a high risk in frequent nail gun users to develop repetitive strain injury or shock injury due to the constant impact of the nail gun? What sort of injuries have you had yourself? Do you feel tingling in your arm after a day’s worth of nailing? Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful to our project. I appreciate and anxiously await your replies.

-Dan

dswan388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nail gun shock injuries

Can't speak specifically for the nailing aspect, but after 35 years in "the trades", I get the tingling in hand/arm from several different job related "activities". Using a nail gun (framer mostly) or "powder actuated" tool are among the things that can onset symptoms. I am, by trade, mainly a drywall mechanic, so many of my problems are more than likely related to the specific trade. I have a neighbor whose wife is a PA for an orthopedic group and, without yet having actually done an exam, thinks most of my issues could be Repetitive Motion Syndrome. (I'll get around to an office visit.) I've had back, neck and 2 shoulder surgeries, but cant really say any are "nail gun related". It may aggravate the existing problems........

Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,106

Nail gun shock injuries

This is mainly a DIY site so most of us don't use nail guns for extended periods of time. The few times I've used them for an entire day I did not notice any impact shock or vibration from the gun. My arm certainly became tired by the end of a long day but that was because I wasn't use to lifting the weight all day.

The nail guns I've used don't really cause a vibration or sharp impact to the hand. Not like using a jackhammer, vibrating compactor, sander or even lawn mower.

You might try a site like contractortalk where the pros hang out.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nail gun shock injuries

Good point, jogr. Sometimes I reply before thinking about which "forum" I'm on.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 150

Nail gun shock injuries

Im a machinist by trade (12 yrs), worked with small parts for years, weigh in at 175-ish ad 6'3" tall, skinny and for the most part have not done alot of physical activity over the last 10 years or so.
For the last month or so ive been building an addition on my home and have been using a "light-weight" framing gun for a good portion of the days. Aside form "normal" fatigue and mussel sourness, the only other thing i can think of is today my wrist joint started to bother my alittle but i was using a circular saw alot today which in the past month i have not. All and all cant say that the framing gun has beat me up too bad as far as recoil or shock, but this has only been for a month of use.

Good luck with your project.

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nail gun shock injuries

I hang out here and the pro forums. I am a pro electrician.

You looking for a typical nail gun or a powder actuated gun experience?
There are some similarities and I can tell you I would surely appreciate some new design of powder guns. After hitting about 30 shots straight up, my wrist ached for a week and the area, if you make an "O" with your thumb and index finger, on top of that area, was actually bruised.

Using the gun as a gun (like you are pointing a gun) the shock into your arm up to the shoulder is jarring. A shock absorbing system would definatetely be an improvement.

Let me know if I can offer you any more specific info.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote