Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Nail gun advice

Hello all. New member here. I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a nail gun combo kit. I'm looking at the Bostitch 3-Tool Finish and Trim kit with the 6gal compressor and the Dewalt Finish nailer and Brad nailer with 2gal compressor.

Bostitch = $258
Dewalt = $297

Here's the deal = i'm a DIY'er who will be using the tools for trim and molding project/repairs around the home. The tools will not get heavy use as i will just be using them with home projects. ALSO, i currently have a Lowe's gift card for $100 so i could walk in and get the Bostitch for $158.

Thoughts?

asbury park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,270

Nail gun advice

I know tools have changed for the worse in recent years but Bostitch would be my choice as they have always done a good job for me. I have never used a Dewalt gun so I can't say anything about that tool, I have had several different Dewalt tools and most have been pretty good except for the routers, they just won't hold up to everyday use.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
The Moose is loose.

Rewards Points: 75

Nail gun advice

I just looked at a kit similar to those two at Home Depot (Porter Cable) and I ended up getting a Makita Mac5200 compressor(Actually my wife surprised me with it). I know that is more than you're probably wanting to spend, but it is oil lubricated and it's easy to say it will last a little longer. After reading about some dry compressors failing and other issues I decided to go with one that had an oil pump. Don't know if this helps or not.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

Nail gun advice

ive used several dewalt compressors and found them to be a pain in the butt.. they were overly loud compared to other models, didnt deliver enough air to the guns be it framing or trim guns and 2 of them burnt out mid way through the morning.. new tools arent supposed to do that.... the guns arent much better. ive used a little over a dozen dewalt nailers and only two of them didnt jamb up within the first half hour of using them.. they were oiled.

this is pretty much the standard youll hear from most pros.. dewalt air gear is junk.. part of the reason you hardly see it anywhere

the bostich stuff is comparable to the porter cable kit, just a slightly different design. now their owned by the same parent company anyways being stanley. i cant really speak about bostich gear as ive only used a couple of their tools and those were framing guns

like war mentioned you cant do wrong with the makita. makita compressors are very high quality for being sold in big box stores, they sit side by side with rol-air models at contractor supplies. oiled compressors can last 3-4x longer than oil less models and they are much quiter
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-29-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 506

Nail gun advice

Bostich nailers have had a good rep for a long time. I have all Porter Cable nailers, and for diy duty, they have held up and work every time I pick them up. Rereading your post, it sounds like the Bostich is the way to go, depending what the 3 nailers are.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Nail gun advice

I have the porter cable version of those "a pile of tools and compressor" kit, 16 g and 18 g finish nailers, crown stapler and 23 g pin nailer. They get heavy DIY use, and are fantastic. The Bostitch set is just like the PC tools in my opinion, I would buy them in a heartbeat. They are great quality.

Zanfirico is offline   Reply With Quote