My Saw Needs Bearings! Questions. - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

my saw needs bearings! questions.

wonder if anyone here can help! I've got a pretty old (maybe 1979-80) Craftsman 10" radial saw. bought it new. the absolute best and most-used tool I have. never one single problem,EVER! it's cut "miles" of wood!
oh,I'd say 9-10 years ago,the bearings started to "go out" (yeah,they sounded bad,but I'm lazy and it still worked well)
now, I'm going to replace those things! so,how hard is the replacement process? should I let Sears do it? cost?
model is 113.19770

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

You didn't state exactly which bearings, and I'm not exactly familiar with this particular saw, so let's say we're talking about motor bearings. If you're a reasonable DIY person, you should be able to take the motor apart to access the bearings. Problem will be how are the bearings held in? About 10 years old? This was about the time a lot of motor manufacturers using aluminum end bells started changing from using a bolt in bearing retainer to a "roll-over" bearing retainer. This is a method of rolling over some aluminum material to hold the bearing in, and is not a repairable method. Your best bet may be to find an electric motor shop in you area, take the actual motor in for an estimate of repair or replacement.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You didn't state exactly which bearings, and I'm not exactly familiar with this particular saw, so let's say we're talking about motor bearings. If you're a reasonable DIY person, you should be able to take the motor apart to access the bearings. Problem will be how are the bearings held in? About 10 years old? This was about the time a lot of motor manufacturers using aluminum end bells started changing from using a bolt in bearing retainer to a "roll-over" bearing retainer. This is a method of rolling over some aluminum material to hold the bearing in, and is not a repairable method. Your best bet may be to find an electric motor shop in you area, take the actual motor in for an estimate of repair or replacement.
this saw is probably 30 years old. what you're saying is that the bearings are most likely held in by bolts? this sounds like something I can handle.

tnx,
Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
this saw is probably 30 years old. what you're saying is that the bearings are most likely held in by bolts? this sounds like something I can handle.

tnx,
Bearings are not held in by bolts. Bearings are pressed into position. Unless you have a press, take the motor to a machine shop.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-13-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

NO--I indicated that early motors had bolted-in plates to hold bearings in---along with press fits. Late model motors used, and still do use, the "roll-over" flange type retainer. IF you have the motor apart and can see the bearings, you can tell if they have the bolt0-in retainers, or the newer "roll-over" retainers. Best bet would be to take the end bells to a motor shop anyway.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

OK. ordered the motor bearings from Sears. got to do it myself since having it done by Sears is impossible . now all I have to do is find an "arbor press". maybe I can rent one. (somebody said I need one) so how do I use it? what size? 1 ton,1/2 ton,what?
anyway, assuming I get the rotor into the press,how do I adapt the "ram" to push on the bearing? somebody said a socket would work. well,I got lots of sockets! is there written instructions somewhere? got lots of wood to cut so I need to get 'er done in a reasonable amount of time!

tnx,
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
OK. ordered the motor bearings from Sears. got to do it myself since having it done by Sears is impossible . now all I have to do is find an "arbor press". maybe I can rent one. (somebody said I need one) so how do I use it? what size? 1 ton,1/2 ton,what?
anyway, assuming I get the rotor into the press,how do I adapt the "ram" to push on the bearing? somebody said a socket would work. well,I got lots of sockets! is there written instructions somewhere? got lots of wood to cut so I need to get 'er done in a reasonable amount of time!

tnx,
Try looking on You Tube for a video.
You need 2 tools. One to pull the old bearing off and one to put it on.
A local tool repair place would be the place to have it done. I had new bearings(2) put on my 30 year old Craftsman shop vac for $14.00. I took the motor apart and brought them the shaft. I have a 6 ton press and repair most all of my tools and decided this was the best way of getting it done correctly. You can screw it up a dozen ways and there's one way to get it right.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

I agree with Ron, take it to a shop.

I just had the same thing done, one bearing off and on. Cost me $10 and 10 min.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #9

well, I DID call a "motor repair" shop awhile back and they wanted $200,but that was before I got the bearings and they would have to take it apart. now,I'll call again when I get it all apart.

tnx,
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

I’d just show up at a small shop that has a press and hand it to them with a smile.

It’s a 10 min deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Ron6519 (04-04-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #11

an update:
took the rotor to a motor shop and the guy pulled the old bearings off and pressed on the new ones for $7!!!
put the motor back together and it runs like new.

tnx,
The Following User Says Thank You to analogmusicman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Nothing better than breathing new life into a favorite old tool. Ready for another 30 years of service.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #13

that saw has been the most reliable tool in my "arsenal" for 30 years. if it does HALF as good for the next 30 I'll be a "happy camper"! (provided,of course,that the Lord leaves me down here that long )

tnx,

Advertisement