My Saw Needs Bearings! Questions. - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Member
 
analogmusicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


wonder if anyone here can help! I've got a pretty old (maybe 1979-80) Craftsman 10" radial saw. bought it new. the absolute best and most-used tool I have. never one single problem,EVER! it's cut "miles" of wood!
oh,I'd say 9-10 years ago,the bearings started to "go out" (yeah,they sounded bad,but I'm lazy and it still worked well)
now, I'm going to replace those things! so,how hard is the replacement process? should I let Sears do it? cost?
model is 113.19770

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,301
Rewards Points: 1,054
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


You didn't state exactly which bearings, and I'm not exactly familiar with this particular saw, so let's say we're talking about motor bearings. If you're a reasonable DIY person, you should be able to take the motor apart to access the bearings. Problem will be how are the bearings held in? About 10 years old? This was about the time a lot of motor manufacturers using aluminum end bells started changing from using a bolt in bearing retainer to a "roll-over" bearing retainer. This is a method of rolling over some aluminum material to hold the bearing in, and is not a repairable method. Your best bet may be to find an electric motor shop in you area, take the actual motor in for an estimate of repair or replacement.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Member
 
analogmusicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You didn't state exactly which bearings, and I'm not exactly familiar with this particular saw, so let's say we're talking about motor bearings. If you're a reasonable DIY person, you should be able to take the motor apart to access the bearings. Problem will be how are the bearings held in? About 10 years old? This was about the time a lot of motor manufacturers using aluminum end bells started changing from using a bolt in bearing retainer to a "roll-over" bearing retainer. This is a method of rolling over some aluminum material to hold the bearing in, and is not a repairable method. Your best bet may be to find an electric motor shop in you area, take the actual motor in for an estimate of repair or replacement.
this saw is probably 30 years old. what you're saying is that the bearings are most likely held in by bolts? this sounds like something I can handle.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
this saw is probably 30 years old. what you're saying is that the bearings are most likely held in by bolts? this sounds like something I can handle.

tnx,
Bearings are not held in by bolts. Bearings are pressed into position. Unless you have a press, take the motor to a machine shop.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-13-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,301
Rewards Points: 1,054
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


NO--I indicated that early motors had bolted-in plates to hold bearings in---along with press fits. Late model motors used, and still do use, the "roll-over" flange type retainer. IF you have the motor apart and can see the bearings, you can tell if they have the bolt0-in retainers, or the newer "roll-over" retainers. Best bet would be to take the end bells to a motor shop anyway.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Member
 
analogmusicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


OK. ordered the motor bearings from Sears. got to do it myself since having it done by Sears is impossible . now all I have to do is find an "arbor press". maybe I can rent one. (somebody said I need one) so how do I use it? what size? 1 ton,1/2 ton,what?
anyway, assuming I get the rotor into the press,how do I adapt the "ram" to push on the bearing? somebody said a socket would work. well,I got lots of sockets! is there written instructions somewhere? got lots of wood to cut so I need to get 'er done in a reasonable amount of time!

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
OK. ordered the motor bearings from Sears. got to do it myself since having it done by Sears is impossible . now all I have to do is find an "arbor press". maybe I can rent one. (somebody said I need one) so how do I use it? what size? 1 ton,1/2 ton,what?
anyway, assuming I get the rotor into the press,how do I adapt the "ram" to push on the bearing? somebody said a socket would work. well,I got lots of sockets! is there written instructions somewhere? got lots of wood to cut so I need to get 'er done in a reasonable amount of time!

tnx,
Try looking on You Tube for a video.
You need 2 tools. One to pull the old bearing off and one to put it on.
A local tool repair place would be the place to have it done. I had new bearings(2) put on my 30 year old Craftsman shop vac for $14.00. I took the motor apart and brought them the shaft. I have a 6 ton press and repair most all of my tools and decided this was the best way of getting it done correctly. You can screw it up a dozen ways and there's one way to get it right.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,845
Rewards Points: 2,474
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


I agree with Ron, take it to a shop.

I just had the same thing done, one bearing off and on. Cost me $10 and 10 min.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
Member
 
analogmusicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


well, I DID call a "motor repair" shop awhile back and they wanted $200,but that was before I got the bearings and they would have to take it apart. now,I'll call again when I get it all apart.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,845
Rewards Points: 2,474
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


I’d just show up at a small shop that has a press and hand it to them with a smile.

It’s a 10 min deal.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Ron6519 (04-04-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
Member
 
analogmusicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


an update:
took the rotor to a motor shop and the guy pulled the old bearings off and pressed on the new ones for $7!!!
put the motor back together and it runs like new.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to analogmusicman For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


Nothing better than breathing new life into a favorite old tool. Ready for another 30 years of service.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Member
 
analogmusicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 591
Rewards Points: 500
Default

my saw needs bearings! questions.


that saw has been the most reliable tool in my "arsenal" for 30 years. if it does HALF as good for the next 30 I'll be a "happy camper"! (provided,of course,that the Lord leaves me down here that long )

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help How to Wire Bathroom "Fan Heater Light Night-light" unit, and questions Tryvidy Electrical 9 06-18-2012 03:37 PM
How thick should my thinset be? yummy mummy Tiling, ceramics, marble 20 09-28-2009 01:36 PM
When to sand and other questions... PaintedSurface Painting 4 03-27-2009 10:13 PM
Questions about upgrading electrical stuff in our house Trisha Electrical 8 01-16-2009 07:26 AM
Laminate wood floor layout questions nathan.tran Flooring 4 08-30-2008 11:56 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts