Mud Mixers - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,548

Mud mixers

Looking for a recommendation for both the power tool, and the attachment.

For the power tool, hate to spend the money for another tool, but I've been using my heavy duty hammer drill for mixing. I think I'd prefer a dedicated mud mixer. Any recommendations, especially for a cheaper or used tool?

There are many different styles of mixing attachments. Which are preferred for mixing joint compound, thinset and grout? Of those, I can't really see why one design would be better for joint compound, and one better for thinset. So why all the different designs? Which one works best, or what do the different designs do differently?

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,232

Mud mixers

Like you, I don't see much difference in what the various attachments do. I've had the same one for years, and don't even remember what it's "designed" to mix. I use it mostly for thinset and grout, and occasionally for joint compound. Seems to work fine for all of them. I attach it to a 1/2", corded drill (a Milwaukee, but certainly other, cheaper ones would work). I'd never try using it with any cordless drill I've ever seen.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Mud mixers

I bought one at Harbor Freight when the switch went out on my Milwaukee--

That was two years ago---fine machine---I'll see if I can find a link---
Dual Speed Paint and Mortar Mixer
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Mud mixers

I've been using a Milwaukee 1/2" right angle drill for over 10 years for this.
It will also bore a 4-1/2 hole with a hole saw for toilet, make all the holes to run wires, drill threw steel plate, so it's far from a single use tool.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,694

Mud mixers

I have an old Craftsman 1/2" low speed hi torque I have used for years. It's really about the only craftsman tool I have. The reason for the low speed is to fast will put too much air in the mixture (drywall mud) and cause those little pin holes in your finish. And the hi torque saves on the tool for when your mixing a full bucket of mud or grout. mixing is really all I use this drill for have had it over 20 years.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 790

Mud mixers

I got the $49 500RPM HD 1/2" from Harbor Freight.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,694

Mud mixers

I don't think the brand matters much as long it's low speed and hi torque. As much as I dislike Black and Decker they used to have a good one. Don't know if it's still available.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 790

Mud mixers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I don't think the brand matters much as long it's low speed and hi torque. As much as I dislike Black and Decker they used to have a good one. Don't know if it's still available.
I have no brand loyalty. I'm strictly cheap ass all the way.
ToolSeeker (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 634

Mud mixers

An old Milwaukee 1/2 inch VS drill with the wire eggbeater deal, not the paddle. Plus it can cut big holes, sink big lags, etc. word of caution though with anything with that much torque. Working with a guy and we had to blow a 2 1/2 inch hole through floor. I give him the drill and my hole saw bag, tell him to be SURE to put the auxiliary black side handle on the drill. Yup. You got it. Too lazy or stupid. Starts off like a madman with the guide bit and one sprained wrist and a broken finger later when the teeth of that hole saw hit the wood..... User beware! Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Mud mixers

Everyone needs a 'beater' 1/2" drill.....I have an old Skill 1/2" variable speed. It's my mixing and Kreg drill tool. I also have a corded 3/8" drill....along with 2 Ryobi cordless drills...and a right angle drill (cordless)....not to mention a drill press....

When I'm doing wood working, I'll have 3-4 drills setup with different attachments/bits. Saves me spending time to change bits.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #11

Mud mixers

What do you guys use to mix up setting compound, or drying compound for that matter? I'm using my hammer drill, which is sort of heavy duty compared to my regular drill, but I feel I'm stressing it and thinking of getting a dedicated mud mixer.

Also, and this is even more confusing, there are about as many designs for mixing paddles as there are stores and web sites selling them. Which design is best for mixing up compound? I think 1 important quality would be avoiding mixing as little air into the compound as possible.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Mud mixers

What do you guys use to mix up thinset and grout? I'm using my hammer drill, which is sort of heavy duty compared to my regular drill, but I feel I'm stressing it and thinking of getting a dedicated mud mixer.

Also, and this is even more confusing, there are about as many designs for mixing paddles as there are stores and web sites selling them. Which design is best for thinset and grout? I'm sure some are designed especially for paint or joint compound, but even for the specialized ones, there are multiple designs - which is the best design shape?
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 712

Mud mixers

Thought this question had already been asked and answered?
The same drill can be used for mud, thin set, ECT.
Any 1/2 HD drill will work.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 236

Mud mixers

Sounds like he's asking what paddle to use
I use the wide paddle with a electric drill because it has more power to whip it up better. and put about 2 cups of water in it when your mixing it will make it easier to work with
With quick set I usually use 20 minutes mud so I'll just mix a pan at a time by hand. or if you're fast enough u could get the 120 and mix like 3-4 pans in a bucket that way you can mix it with a paddle
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #15

Mud mixers

Not any 1/2 HD drill will work fine. Some are stressed with only half a bucket. And what might work for a quick stirh of premixed compound won't necessarily work with a mixing compound.

Advertisement