Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Share |

mobile base for tablesaw

Hi to all, new to site and I have been looking to replace my base on my tablesaw. It is one with the 4 metal legs with a 4ft extention on it. It is very floopy not to mention not safe. I was looking to make another one that is about 4 ft wide and the width of the tablesaw. I have found a bunch on the web but they all want $$ for the patern. Can you guys help
thanks
twink
Twink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #2

mobile base for tablesaw

Although one of my winter projects is to get started on a new one, with a few refinements, such as more compartments, etc., I am using one that I built probably 20 years ago, and it has served me well. I built it more-or-less on the basis of a small work bench, with a 2x4 frame (my new one is going to incorporate more plywood and fewer 2x4's, in order to reduce the weight and provide more space). I have 4 2x4 legs, located under each corner of the "body" of the saw, and 2x4 stringers tying it all together. Where the saw itself sets, the 2x4 stingers extend out as far as my table extension, and I have plywood on top of those, to provide a place to lay fences, featherboards, etc. It is open directly under the saw, where I have a pull out dust collection box. As for mobility, and I will confess that I picked this up from one that my dad made in the late 40's or early 50's, I have a rigid caster mounted to the backside of each back leg, about 1/8" off the floor. To move the saw, I have a cutout at the top of the front and back sides of my dust box, where I can slide a 2x4, lift up on it, and move the saw around like a one handled wheel barrow. Although I have it set up so that I seldom move it, when I need to, it works great.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Twink (01-03-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
DIY Hack

mobile base for tablesaw

Norm's looks easy enough ( and the plans cost about the same as a 12 pack of domestic beer)

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct?9908