Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mitre saw recommendation

I am getting ready to install a composite rail system on my deck and need a mitre saw to make the cuts. Any recommendations? I have seen the Dewalt and Rigid models. Both look good. Also, do I really need a compound miter saw? Most cuts will be straight, but some rails will be ct on a 45 degree angle and the rails for the stairs will be an odd angle

Thanks

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
I can tie my own shoes

Mitre saw recommendation

Whatever you do, please just say no to ryobi, 'kay?

You don't mention budget. If you are in the $200 area, the dewalt DW713 would be ok. I would also encourage a look at a makita as well. Buy the compound miter because all of a sudden you will have a trim job that just comes up. For $200, it is not a huge cost.

BTW, I have a ryobi miter box. And while it does not suck totally, it is not square with itself. Why put yourself through that when you can mitigate it with a better rep vendor?

algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #3

Mitre saw recommendation

What you spend on a mitre saw depends on your usage. If you are an occasional woodworker, buy a name brand simple mitre saw. Most saws are compound, meaning you can cut at a beveled angle. For more serious woodworking, buy a slider. An accurate mitre saw can cost you $125 to $700...you know, the Chevy or the Cadillac..both will get you there.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4

Mitre saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1227 View Post
I am getting ready to install a composite rail system on my deck and need a mitre saw to make the cuts. Any recommendations? I have seen the Dewalt and Rigid models. Both look good. Also, do I really need a compound miter saw? Most cuts will be straight, but some rails will be ct on a 45 degree angle and the rails for the stairs will be an odd angle

Thanks
I had an off-brand 10" miter saw, and used it for a lot of years. Eventually the bearings wore and it simply wouldn't make good cuts. That one cost me about $125.

I moved up to a 12" compound-miter DeWALT slider saw. Paid about $500 (on clearance) and got the table with it for free.

As the other guys have said, it really depends on what you need it for, and how much you're willing to spend.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Handyman

Mitre saw recommendation

Yeah, most mitre saws are compound mitres. I've had both my Dewalt 12" saws for years and swear by them. One is a slider but I only use it for cutting stair treads and such...much too heavy and bulky for everyday use. Word of caution when cutting composite...the shavings that will hit your arms is basically hot melted plastic and will burn the hair off your arms
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canadaclub For This Useful Post:
Ranger1227 (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #6

Mitre saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by algored2deth View Post
Whatever you do, please just say no to ryobi, 'kay?

You don't mention budget. If you are in the $200 area, the dewalt DW713 would be ok. I would also encourage a look at a makita as well. Buy the compound miter because all of a sudden you will have a trim job that just comes up. For $200, it is not a huge cost.

BTW, I have a ryobi miter box. And while it does not suck totally, it is not square with itself. Why put yourself through that when you can mitigate it with a better rep vendor?
You may have gotten a bad one. Believe it or not it does happen. My Ryobi operates flawless
tandj1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tandj1997 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-19-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

Mitre saw recommendation

Thanks for the replies, especially about the hair. I have plenty, so I probabbly won't miss a few. I would like to spend no more than $300. Is there any benefit to a laser on it? Also, is a 10 inch adequate? I would prefer not to get a 12" if at all possible.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Mitre saw recommendation

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, especially about the hair. I have plenty, so I probabbly won't miss a few. I would like to spend no more than $300. Is there any benefit to a laser on it? Also, is a 10 inch adequate? I would prefer not to get a 12" if at all possible.
A good buddy of mine - a contractor - says that the laser is fine for general cutting, but isn't necessarily accurate enough for precision cuts. Take that for what it's worth.

The difference between 10" and 12" is that (obviously) a 12" saw can cut larger boards. So that's entirely up to you, and what you need.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #9

Mitre saw recommendation

RE: the laser. The built in lasers aren't really worth it, but there is a laser ($20) that replaces the blade washer which is VERY accurate.....just for your consideration.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Mitre saw recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
RE: the laser. The built in lasers aren't really worth it, but there is a laser ($20) that replaces the blade washer which is VERY accurate.....just for your consideration.
Cool. I've heard about them, and seen them on the shelf, but always had the gut feel that they were pretty worthless. Now I have something to put on my birthday list.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #11

Mitre saw recommendation

Ok, now I can show my complete ignorance. What is the blade washer and what is the adavantage to replacing it with the laser?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #12

Mitre saw recommendation

There is a bolt which holds the blade in place on any saw. The bolt goes through a large washer to secure the blade. The laser "washer" replaces the original washer. It has a centrifugal switch which turns the laser on when the blade gets up to speed. I'm thinking I purchased it either at Grizzly or McFeelys.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Mitre saw recommendation

Quote:
Ok, now I can show my complete ignorance. What is the blade washer and what is the adavantage to replacing it with the laser?
You're probably thinking of a "washer" as some sort of "cleaner." But it's just a flat washer that goes between the bolt and blade.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #14

Mitre saw recommendation

I'm not that bad off! I was wondering how a laser could replace the washer. Sounds interesting, do they work?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #15

Mitre saw recommendation

Go to Northerntool.com and look up circular saw laser....you will find it there.