DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   Mitre saw recommendation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/mitre-saw-recommendation-101441/)

Ranger1227 04-13-2011 09:32 PM

Mitre saw recommendation
 
I am getting ready to install a composite rail system on my deck and need a mitre saw to make the cuts. Any recommendations? I have seen the Dewalt and Rigid models. Both look good. Also, do I really need a compound miter saw? Most cuts will be straight, but some rails will be ct on a 45 degree angle and the rails for the stairs will be an odd angle

Thanks

algored2deth 04-13-2011 10:13 PM

Whatever you do, please just say no to ryobi, 'kay?

You don't mention budget. If you are in the $200 area, the dewalt DW713 would be ok. I would also encourage a look at a makita as well. Buy the compound miter because all of a sudden you will have a trim job that just comes up. For $200, it is not a huge cost.

BTW, I have a ryobi miter box. And while it does not suck totally, it is not square with itself. Why put yourself through that when you can mitigate it with a better rep vendor?

Missouri Bound 04-13-2011 10:35 PM

What you spend on a mitre saw depends on your usage. If you are an occasional woodworker, buy a name brand simple mitre saw. Most saws are compound, meaning you can cut at a beveled angle. For more serious woodworking, buy a slider. An accurate mitre saw can cost you $125 to $700...you know, the Chevy or the Cadillac..both will get you there.

DrHicks 04-14-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger1227 (Post 628990)
I am getting ready to install a composite rail system on my deck and need a mitre saw to make the cuts. Any recommendations? I have seen the Dewalt and Rigid models. Both look good. Also, do I really need a compound miter saw? Most cuts will be straight, but some rails will be ct on a 45 degree angle and the rails for the stairs will be an odd angle

Thanks

I had an off-brand 10" miter saw, and used it for a lot of years. Eventually the bearings wore and it simply wouldn't make good cuts. That one cost me about $125.

I moved up to a 12" compound-miter DeWALT slider saw. Paid about $500 (on clearance) and got the table with it for free.

As the other guys have said, it really depends on what you need it for, and how much you're willing to spend.

canadaclub 04-14-2011 11:22 AM

Yeah, most mitre saws are compound mitres. I've had both my Dewalt 12" saws for years and swear by them. One is a slider but I only use it for cutting stair treads and such...much too heavy and bulky for everyday use. Word of caution when cutting composite...the shavings that will hit your arms is basically hot melted plastic and will burn the hair off your arms:eek:

tandj1997 04-14-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algored2deth (Post 629029)
Whatever you do, please just say no to ryobi, 'kay?

You don't mention budget. If you are in the $200 area, the dewalt DW713 would be ok. I would also encourage a look at a makita as well. Buy the compound miter because all of a sudden you will have a trim job that just comes up. For $200, it is not a huge cost.

BTW, I have a ryobi miter box. And while it does not suck totally, it is not square with itself. Why put yourself through that when you can mitigate it with a better rep vendor?

You may have gotten a bad one. Believe it or not it does happen. My Ryobi operates flawless :thumbup:

Ranger1227 04-14-2011 05:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, especially about the hair. I have plenty, so I probabbly won't miss a few. I would like to spend no more than $300. Is there any benefit to a laser on it? Also, is a 10 inch adequate? I would prefer not to get a 12" if at all possible.

DrHicks 04-14-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger1227 (Post 629495)
Thanks for the replies, especially about the hair. I have plenty, so I probabbly won't miss a few. I would like to spend no more than $300. Is there any benefit to a laser on it? Also, is a 10 inch adequate? I would prefer not to get a 12" if at all possible.

A good buddy of mine - a contractor - says that the laser is fine for general cutting, but isn't necessarily accurate enough for precision cuts. Take that for what it's worth.

The difference between 10" and 12" is that (obviously) a 12" saw can cut larger boards. So that's entirely up to you, and what you need.

Missouri Bound 04-14-2011 09:05 PM

RE: the laser. The built in lasers aren't really worth it, but there is a laser ($20) that replaces the blade washer which is VERY accurate.....just for your consideration.

DrHicks 04-14-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 629614)
RE: the laser. The built in lasers aren't really worth it, but there is a laser ($20) that replaces the blade washer which is VERY accurate.....just for your consideration.

Cool. I've heard about them, and seen them on the shelf, but always had the gut feel that they were pretty worthless. Now I have something to put on my birthday list. :)

Ranger1227 04-14-2011 10:34 PM

Ok, now I can show my complete ignorance. What is the blade washer and what is the adavantage to replacing it with the laser?

Missouri Bound 04-14-2011 10:37 PM

There is a bolt which holds the blade in place on any saw. The bolt goes through a large washer to secure the blade. The laser "washer" replaces the original washer. It has a centrifugal switch which turns the laser on when the blade gets up to speed. I'm thinking I purchased it either at Grizzly or McFeelys.

DrHicks 04-14-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger1227 (Post 629690)
Ok, now I can show my complete ignorance. What is the blade washer and what is the adavantage to replacing it with the laser?

You're probably thinking of a "washer" as some sort of "cleaner." But it's just a flat washer that goes between the bolt and blade.

Ranger1227 04-14-2011 10:52 PM

I'm not that bad off! I was wondering how a laser could replace the washer. Sounds interesting, do they work?

Missouri Bound 04-14-2011 10:56 PM

Go to Northerntool.com and look up circular saw laser....you will find it there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.