Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
I can't imagine not having a circular saw. I use my miter box, too. In fact, I just put my circ saw back on the shelf and got my miter box set up in my new addition. I'm finally at that point in the project. But my circular saw has seen WAY more hours of use than the miter saw.

Thing is, framing with a miter saw, you'll be handling every piece of wood twice as many times, shlepping it onto the saw, supporting the other end; when you could just cut it on the stack with the circ saw, and nail it up.

Start with a circular saw and a speed square. Buy the miter saw when you figure out you need one.
well the point was which one is bit safer. i can always get the circular saw when i need it. but for framing, trim, miter saw seem more precise. in my mind circular saw seem a bit more danger compare to miter.

s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,748
Rewards Points: 2,112
Default

miter or circular saw


ok... ive read a few pointless posts so far but a few decent ones also

the circular saw will be more versatile as you can cross cut with it, make rip cuts, plunge cuts etc... however you cant do trim with it.. yet it is less safe than a mitre saw. with the circ saw you are pushing it through the material and it can kick back ( the entire tool) which can take fingers, cause large severe gashes in your legs if your not expecting it to kick back

the mitre saw can be used for framing, siding, and trimwork. they are a more stable tool as all that moves is the hinge point on it. as long as you keep your hand holding the material down 6" away from the blade and hold it firmly you'll be fine. i know elders carpenters who let their 6 year old grand children use the mitre saw but arent allowed any where near a circular saw. regarding teh blades, if your just going to be doing light framing the stock blade is all you need as they are generally a lower quality blade. if your getting into trimwork you will want to upgrade the blade to a higher end blade such as freud
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
Member
 
msaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 268
Rewards Points: 256
Default

miter or circular saw


Buy the miter saw and if you need a circular saw for something special then go buy it. It's not like a circular saw has to be really expensive they are a lot cheaper than a miter saw.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #19
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,741
Rewards Points: 2,610
Blog Entries: 1
Default

miter or circular saw


Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk>
"i know elders carpenters who let their 6 year old grand children use the mitre saw but arent allowed any where near a circular saw."

Then you know some really stupid old carpenters to let a 6 year old use a dangerous tool like that.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 01-08-2012 at 07:54 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #20
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
"i know elders carpenters who let their 6 year old grand children use the mitre saw but arent allowed any where near a circular saw."
Then you know some really stupid old carpenters to let a 6 year old use a dangerous tool like that.
That's really stupid. I let my son use a Dewalt when he was 12 and I got the eebie jeebies him just being that close to one and was physically holding his other hand on the wood at the very outside of the table far from the blade for probably his first 20 simple cuts (no compounds just yet) before I let him solo.
I waited another couple of years before letting him cut lumber for me with a '77.
Actually I've been more worried about some of the new help that I would get. 60 years old showing up for a labor position. You don't know if you can let them touch the power tools or not. Of course if you ask them if they've used one before they say sure I have, like you can't tell in 2 minutes if they are really a danger to themselves or someone else. It's a shame if you hurt yourself. It's a tradgety if you hurt me.

Last edited by titanoman; 01-08-2012 at 01:14 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,741
Rewards Points: 2,610
Blog Entries: 1
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
That's really stupid. I let my son use a Dewalt when he was 12 and I got the eebie jeebies him just being that close to one and was physically holding his other hand on the wood at the very outside of the table far from the blade for probably his first 20 simple cuts (no compounds just yet) before I let him solo.
I waited another couple of years before letting him cut lumber for me with a '77.
Actually I've been more worried about some of the new help that I would get. 60 years old showing up for a labor position. You don't know if you can let them touch the power tools or not. Of course if you ask them if they've used one before they say sure I have, like you can't tell in 2 minutes if they are really a danger to themselves or someone else. It's a shame if you hurt yourself. It's a tradgety if you hurt me.
By the way, that wasn't my quote, that was woodworkbykirk.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Not so new
 
12penny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Posts: 934
Rewards Points: 504
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post

one note is miter saw stands. it seem those steel stand sell around few hundred bucks. is there other way to cut cross cut long 2x4? maybe put some wood beneath for support or something like that?

2 sawhorses and a piece of plywood.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
well the point was which one is bit safer. i can always get the circular saw when i need it. but for framing, trim, miter saw seem more precise. in my mind circular saw seem a bit more danger compare to miter.
You can't gang cut with a chop-saw. I know I can cut a unit of 2x's at last twice a fast with a'77. Maybe 3 or 4 times faster. And just as square and accurate without having to handle the lumber so many times.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
ok... ive read a few pointless posts so far but a few decent ones also

the circular saw will be more versatile as you can cross cut with it, make rip cuts, plunge cuts etc... however you cant do trim with it.. yet it is less safe than a mitre saw. with the circ saw you are pushing it through the material and it can kick back ( the entire tool) which can take fingers, cause large severe gashes in your legs if your not expecting it to kick back
the mitre saw can be used for framing, siding, and trimwork. they are a more stable tool as all that moves is the hinge point on it. as long as you keep your hand holding the material down 6" away from the blade and hold it firmly you'll be fine. i know elders carpenters who let their 6 year old grand children use the mitre saw but arent allowed any where near a circular saw. regarding teh blades, if your just going to be doing light framing the stock blade is all you need as they are generally a lower quality blade. if your getting into trimwork you will want to upgrade the blade to a higher end blade such as freud
Carbide blade for everything.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
2 sawhorses and a piece of plywood.
The Trojan bench is very handy for longer lumber ( it sits at the perfect height with the spinners at either end).
Saw horses and plywood gives you a large table to stack your cripples, etc., but you need to build a set with a little longer legs so you can stand straight up.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 91
Rewards Points: 75
Default

miter or circular saw


As a home DIYer and amateur that has both, and both of equal quality: A 10" Makita sliding compound miter saw and a higher-end Milwaukee circular saw: I have to go with woodworkbykirk. I'd recommend the miter saw. Ironlight is right, too, in that they're different tools and excel at different tasks, but, for your project, I think a miter saw is your best bet.

Some of you are forgetting: Yes: You can be more productive doing framing with a circular saw. But he doesn't have your experience with power tools and he's not trying to knock this job out on a schedule, he won't be moving on to another one he's got to knock out on a schedule after this one, and another after that, and so-on.

Miter saw. Recommend a sliding compound miter saw for flexibility. My circular saw, tho it's an excellent tool, has rarely been out of its box since I got my 10" Makita sliding compound miter saw. Haven't taken the cover off the table saw as often, either. Can't recall when was the last time I used the miter guide on it.

Jim
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

miter or circular saw


Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power! View Post
As a home DIYer and amateur that has both, and both of equal quality: A 10" Makita sliding compound miter saw and a higher-end Milwaukee circular saw: I have to go with woodworkbykirk. I'd recommend the miter saw. Ironlight is right, too, in that they're different tools and excel at different tasks, but, for your project, I think a miter saw is your best bet.

Some of you are forgetting: Yes: You can be more productive doing framing with a circular saw. But he doesn't have your experience with power tools and he's not trying to knock this job out on a schedule, he won't be moving on to another one he's got to knock out on a schedule after this one, and another after that, and so-on.

Miter saw. Recommend a sliding compound miter saw for flexibility. My circular saw, tho it's an excellent tool, has rarely been out of its box since I got my 10" Makita sliding compound miter saw. Haven't taken the cover off the table saw as often, either. Can't recall when was the last time I used the miter guide on it.

Jim
pretty much i never touch power saw before, so i would be hesitate to stock several 2x4 and cut it all at once. and of course since its my own house work, i don't have a set schedule. month - yr don't really care. i like to start slow and safe, get use to the tool before do the fancy stuff.
s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 91
Rewards Points: 75
Default

miter or circular saw


Btw: Amusing story relating to a circular saw.

I mentioned earlier I have a pretty decent Milwaukee circular saw. In fact it's a 6405 8-/14" saw. 13A motor. Roller bearings. Pretty hefty, and pretty powerful. Believe me when I say: I'm exceedingly careful with that saw.

My wife and I had been working on some raised gardens, made with "peeler core" landscaping timber. We got to a certain point, one day, and ran out of light, weather, energy, materials--I no longer recall.

After a couple more days she was after me for us to get out there and get the job finished. Well, I guess I wasn't quick enough, because I pulled into the driveway, one day, to see the garage door open and her just carrying a piece of cut timber out of the garage. She'd seen what I'd done, got tired of waiting for me, and just went for it.

I could've known. When I first met this woman she'd just been changing the brake pads on her car. Pretty girl changing her own brake pads. What wasn't to like? (She didn't know the brake lines had to be bled, much less how to do it, which is what got me my "in." .)

She thought I'd be angry. Actually, I was pretty damn impressed. Only thing I said was "Just be damn careful with that saw. It's no girly 7-1/2 el cheep-o saw that will be stopped if it encounters something it doesn't like. It's a no messin'-around saw and will hurt or kill you if you disrespect it. Make certain you're set and balanced, of what you're about to do, you always have a firm grip with both hands and, if something doesn't feel or sound right, stop and let go of that trigger like right now!"

The chain saw and table saw, tho, she swears she won't go near

Jim
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #29
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,748
Rewards Points: 2,112
Default

miter or circular saw


this fellow was direclty over his 6yr old grandson while letting them use it. as for him being an idiot.... i dont think so. this journeyman carpenter has trained well over 500 registered apprentices, many of which have gone on to become journeyman carpenters who are very successful. my self being one of them
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 75
Default

miter or circular saw


quick question

for circular saw that has left side blade, most cordless do. does it matter which side i stand, wheather use left or right hand for the handle?

s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sliding Miter Saw - Which One? MT Stringer Tools 12 11-19-2012 02:57 PM
Flexible Circular Ducts and Humidifiers Eduard HVAC 2 12-14-2011 09:42 PM
miter bar problem ChrisMohrSr Carpentry 2 02-06-2011 09:47 PM
10" sliding miter vs 12" standard miter CZSteve Tools 18 08-31-2010 02:40 PM
Need advice or feedback on miter saws mwehnes Carpentry 10 02-21-2007 09:48 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.