Miter Or Circular Saw - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

miter or circular saw

well i'm looking for saw for my basement remodeling, and since i never use power saw before. i prefer the one that is safer than the other type of saws. i don't think i will use saw for rip cut other than maybe flooring. any expert felt which saw is a bit safer for inexperience power saw user?

Advertisement

s002wjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

miter or circular saw

You're trying to choose between a chop saw and a circular saw?
Makes no sense. You can do a lot more with a skil saw, but you can't run a mitre saw up your leg.
A mire saw can only get fingers and hands and throw chunks of lumber at you at a million miles an hour; a skill saw can rapidly dissect you limb from limb.
They both have guards, but that doesn't mean they can't bite.
It's really what you plan to do with it: a skil saw cuts everything, a chop saw is made for trim, though you could frame most of a house with one.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #3

miter or circular saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
You're trying to choose between a chop saw and a circular saw?
Makes no sense. You can do a lot more with a skil saw, but you can't run a mitre saw up your leg.
A mire saw can only get fingers and hands and throw chunks of lumber at you at a million miles an hour; a skill saw can rapidly dissect you limb from limb.
They both have guards, but that doesn't mean they can't bite.
It's really what you plan to do with it: a skil saw cuts everything, a chop saw is made for trim, though you could frame most of a house with one.

well i figure either can do frame projects. but which one is relative safer compare to the other one. to me seem miter is a bit safer(tied down, and with stand), as long i keep the wood clamp down, and my hands way out of the way.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

miter or circular saw

Yes. I would say the chop saw is much safer.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

miter or circular saw

Every year there are statistics published on the danger of a wide variety of power tools. The statistics are sometimes misleading, because of bias built into the numbers, but they are interesting. Gas powered chain saws typically lead the list of saws for injury, but of course some of that has to do with the fact that people drop trees with chain saws. Circular saws are always higher on the danger list than motorized miter saws or table saws. This could be because there are so many more people who have circular saws than table or miter saws, or it could be the nature of the work. Circular saws are often used in more dangerous environments, i.e. outside in poor weather conditions, on the roof, used on poorly supported wood.

With any power tool, you need to read the directions, understand exactly how to used the tool safely, and force yourself to back off when you are tired, inebriated, or distracted. This can be really difficult, especially if you are on deadline.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 604

miter or circular saw

Much harder to cut the power cord while using a miter saw than when using a circular saw... but I've never done that... ;-)
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

miter or circular saw

Yes I would have to agree with the others.

A miter box would probably pose less risk to you. But without a solid understanding of how to use it, you could put yourself in danger without knowing it.

However, a circular saw is a very versatile tool. It can be used for many things. If I had to choose only a cicular saw or a miter box, I would choose the circular saw. But I understand how to use it safely, of course.

Do any of the big box stores offer safety training for DIY's? I would look into that maybe. If there is a free class at the local HD or something, it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I always see they have demos of "how to" for many things like tile, paint, drywall, etc.

I think it is important to understand how to use any power tool safely before use.

Just my $0.02

Peace.
Beanfacekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

miter or circular saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanfacekilla View Post
Yes I would have to agree with the others.

A miter box would probably pose less risk to you. But without a solid understanding of how to use it, you could put yourself in danger without knowing it.

However, a circular saw is a very versatile tool. It can be used for many things. If I had to choose only a cicular saw or a miter box, I would choose the circular saw. But I understand how to use it safely, of course.

Do any of the big box stores offer safety training for DIY's? I would look into that maybe. If there is a free class at the local HD or something, it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I always see they have demos of "how to" for many things like tile, paint, drywall, etc.

I think it is important to understand how to use any power tool safely before use.

Just my $0.02

Peace.
i try to find some woodworking class or training class around dayton ohio, but no luck. anyone know a good website that shows power tool classes in local area.

look like miter saw is a bit safer compare to circular saw when used properly. also for basement framing & trim, seem miter saw can do cross cut and angle cut faster and precise than circular saw.

one note is miter saw stands. it seem those steel stand sell around few hundred bucks. is there other way to cut cross cut long 2x4? maybe put some wood beneath for support or something like that?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

miter or circular saw

Here is a place to start. Safety is a big and very important part of wood working and learning how to use equipment and getting familiar and confident with the tool is a big step. Don't ever get over confident though, as that is usually when you will get hurt. There are several videos at this link that show how to use some tools safely.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

miter or circular saw

They are different tools with different purposes. Choosing one over the other out of concern for safety is a poor idea because in fact the first rule of safety is using the right tool for the job. And honestly both of them are dangerous if not used properly, just in different ways.

The circular saw is going to be more versatile for your basement remodel, and less expensive. That said, depending on what your remodel consists of the chop saw might suffice.

Learn how to use the tool properly, pay attention when you're using it, and you will be fine.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
Dave88LX (10-25-2013), mem (01-21-2012), woodworkbykirk (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #11

miter or circular saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
They are different tools with different purposes. Choosing one over the other out of concern for safety is a poor idea because in fact the first rule of safety is using the right tool for the job. And honestly both of them are dangerous if not used properly, just in different ways.

The circular saw is going to be more versatile for your basement remodel, and less expensive. That said, depending on what your remodel consists of the chop saw might suffice.

Learn how to use the tool properly, pay attention when you're using it, and you will be fine.
i need to do alot framing for my basement. both saw able to do it. but miter seem faster at repetitive cross cutting. also base board require alot precise bevel/miter cuts.

i was looking at Milwaukee 6394-21 which has a brake and good reviews. as for miter saw, not sure what safety features i should be looking for. does miter saw typically has brake?

Last edited by s002wjh; 01-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

miter or circular saw

I don't think many miter saws have a brake. The brake can cause a slight jerk in the saw, which is not good for delicate trim work. I could be wrong though.

For framing my basement, id pick the miter saw and buy a blade meant for rough cutting. Most saws come with a finish blade.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Disabled wood vet

miter or circular saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
Much harder to cut the power cord while using a miter saw than when using a circular saw... but I've never done that... ;-)
That's when you replace the cord using a 50 extension cord and declaring this saw your roof framing saw (although a good carpenter never needs a saw on a roof).
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-08-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

miter or circular saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I don't think many miter saws have a brake. The brake can cause a slight jerk in the saw, which is not good for delicate trim work. I could be wrong though.

For framing my basement, id pick the miter saw and buy a blade meant for rough cutting. Most saws come with a finish blade.
I don't know of a miter saw that don't have a brake today, not saying there aren't any out there, I just don't know about them, unless the brake is wore out, then the brushes need replacing, usually. Man that is a long sentence.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

miter or circular saw

I can't imagine not having a circular saw. I use my miter box, too. In fact, I just put my circ saw back on the shelf and got my miter box set up in my new addition. I'm finally at that point in the project. But my circular saw has seen WAY more hours of use than the miter saw.

Thing is, framing with a miter saw, you'll be handling every piece of wood twice as many times, shlepping it onto the saw, supporting the other end; when you could just cut it on the stack with the circ saw, and nail it up.

Start with a circular saw and a speed square. Buy the miter saw when you figure out you need one.

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote