Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Mini Circular Saw...Saw Max? Versacut?

I am looking for a mini circular saw and would like a top of the line one. I saw the Dremel Saw Max and while I do like Dremel, I wasn't impressed. I also saw the Rockwell Versacut, which looked nice. Is the Versacut a good choice? Are there other options out there? I admit I have the means to buy nice items and would like a nice professional/commercial model if there is one out there. Thanks!

DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

What do you plan on doing with it?
I've never once seen a need for one.
Anything made by Dremal is a home owners toy tool.
CPO Tools is having a sale on Bosch right now.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What do you plan on doing with it?
I've never once seen a need for one.
Anything made by Dremal is a home owners toy tool.
CPO Tools is having a sale on Bosch right now.
The only time I have seen a need for one was before I found this forum and would get myself in over my head by doing something wrong and it seemed like it would be a nice tool to get me out of a jam.

Now, I am not really sure what they are actually used for?

I would like to say though that I have a single speed Dremel that I got as a gift as a kid in 1984. Still runs like a champ, and when I am deburring something on a vehicle or cleaning a small area with a brush, it is a good tool.

Dremel used to make a little metal blade with teeth on it for their rotary tool, no guard at all, and it was like death itself spinning at 10,000 RPM or so.

I don't believe they make that attachment anymore, as it probably cut some fingers off some people.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 27

I have a Rockwell VersaCut and I find it handy. Also, the vacuum attachment/fitting is nice to have when I don't want sawdust flying around. I would buy one again if I 'lost' it.

Last edited by hkeiner; 04-08-2013 at 08:33 PM.
hkeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,016

My guys have the versacut and like it.

Seems to be holding up well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I keep getting the "what do you use that for" comment....I'm confused--I think it would be a handy little saw!

Task #1 (and the reason for looking into them) is that I need to cut a small amount off the bottom of some base molding in my foyer prior to putting down underlayment and tile on the floor. I don't want to change the height of the base but need it to be shorter and I figure cutting with this will be a lot easier than taking it off, cutting it, and putting it back on. I would think this would be an ideal use for this saw and I can't think of any other tool that would be great for that task.

I would think that there would be a lot of little uses for this tool. Yes, I realize that a larger saw does the same things and more but I would think there would be plenty of jobs here and there were the convenience, portability, and maneuverability of a small "hand" saw would come in handy.

I am certain that if I get one it will be just like every other tool I've ever owned--I buy it for a single purpose and within a few months I've found 10 different uses for it. I would love to hear any other opinions people may have!
DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDIYer View Post
I keep getting the "what do you use that for" comment....I'm confused--I think it would be a handy little saw!

Task #1 (and the reason for looking into them) is that I need to cut a small amount off the bottom of some base molding in my foyer prior to putting down underlayment and tile on the floor. I don't want to change the height of the base but need it to be shorter and I figure cutting with this will be a lot easier than taking it off, cutting it, and putting it back on. I would think this would be an ideal use for this saw and I can't think of any other tool that would be great for that task.

I would think that there would be a lot of little uses for this tool. Yes, I realize that a larger saw does the same things and more but I would think there would be plenty of jobs here and there were the convenience, portability, and maneuverability of a small "hand" saw would come in handy.

I am certain that if I get one it will be just like every other tool I've ever owned--I buy it for a single purpose and within a few months I've found 10 different uses for it. I would love to hear any other opinions people may have!
http://www.craintools.com/fs-specialtysaws.html
If you want the proper tool to cut installed base. That saw doesn't compare to a proper undercut saw, likely cant cut corners either. You might be able to rent one of these from a flooring store, as well.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 27

The versacut would not cut flush or near flusn with the floor. It is handy for other purposes but not that. Just saying...

Last edited by hkeiner; 04-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
hkeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

I have the saw max. Personally, its not a tool that I use all of the time however it has gotten me out of a few jams. If you don't want to drag a bunch of tools out, or you are a minimalist, it would be very useful. I use mine on occasion for trim (it comes with a handy little cutting guide) and quite often for cutting metal.

My .02

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote