Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

makita single blade planer

i have a makita single blade planer that I would like to get information on. It appears to be a tool that cuts a veneer off the stock to either use the veneer or plane a board. Does anyone have information on how to use it or has anyone used one? Thanks Larry

lalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

best bet is to google-yahoo or whatever search engine you prefer the name and MODEL NUMBER of the tool, you will no doubt find info, reviews, owners manuals, makita's website pages on this tool, etc. send us back a link? i'd like to see this tool.

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Larry, I moved your post over here to the tools section.

A handheld power planer is designed for removal of stock off the edge or face of boards. It isn't going to cut off a usable veneer, just chips. Common uses for a tool like this include planing the edges of doors, scribing cabinets to walls, and a number of woodworking uses.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Larry, I moved your post over here to the tools section.

A handheld power planer is designed for removal of stock off the edge or face of boards. It isn't going to cut off a usable veneer, just chips. Common uses for a tool like this include planing the edges of doors, scribing cabinets to walls, and a number of woodworking uses.
This is not a hand held machine. it is a 250 pound machine on wheels that feeds the material through the blade on a belt. i was looking for someone that had experience with this machine to help me figure the best way to use it. i appreciate you moving the machine to the tool section i apparently missed this section. larry
Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalkie View Post
This is not a hand held machine. it is a 250 pound machine on wheels that feeds the material through the blade on a belt. i was looking for someone that had experience with this machine to help me figure the best way to use it. i appreciate you moving the machine to the tool section i apparently missed this section. larry
i will try an send a picture in the next few days. it is a machine that generally sold only in japan and aparently priced about $1100.00 used. i can't seem to get it working correctly. Larry
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
the Musigician

thanks, i'm real curious to see it.

DM

and what's the problem with it?

Last edited by DangerMouse; 09-01-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #7

Sounds like an industrial planer. I've never seen a Makita version! Would love to see a picture.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think he's talking about a thickness planer. I have a delta 220 model. But mine has three blades. I cant not envision a single blade pulling a usable piece of veneer from a board with out it breaking it. BOB

Last edited by buletbob; 09-01-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: adding photo
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
the Musigician

most t-planers i've used (mine is a 13" rigid) have at least 2 blades. never seen a single blade planer b4. this is why i'm curious.

DM
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #10

Go to you tube and type in makita precision planer. There is a video of what it does. I have not been able to get mine to work or been able to contaact the person that has one. The machine runs and works but won't feed the wood through. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
the Musigician

if it's set up the way a standard planer is, then you have rubber rollers under there to drag the wood through. if they do not turn, wood do not go. are they turning?

DM
Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

I just watched the videos on youtube and it almost looks like the blade doesn't spin like a normal thickness planer but instead the belt feeds the material against a stationary blade that planes a thin strip of wood off. Kinda like a manual hand planer with a belt under it to move the material across the blade.

If it is not carrying the wood threw the machine and the belt is moving. I would assume that the board is getting wedged somehow, not enough clearance for the wood to go threw the machine. From the videos it looks like it only takes a very very thin sliver off. Try raising the planer up and see if the board gets carried threw without taking anything off. If it does try lowering it little by little and see if you can get it to carry the board threw.

Last edited by ponch37300; 01-27-2009 at 11:58 AM.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #13

The motor and belt seems to work fine. The board does not seem have enough traction on hte belt in order to be moved through the blade. I have tried limiting the cutting to the minimum cut possible. It still won't feed the board through. The blade seems sharp. I have tried 2x4" and ceder pickets without luck.
any help would be appreciated. Larry
Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Is the belt wore out? From the videos it doesn't seem like there is many things to make the board go threw the machine. Maybe try to google it and try and get an owners manual.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
the Musigician

being on dialup, i can't see the video, but if it's a slow moving roller that grips the wood, then there needs to be grip and torque to push it through the blade. if torque, then the belt-drive is not doing it's job, if grip, then the rollers are not adjusted correctly. purely hypothetical, of course, not seeing what you have. are either adjustable? belt or roller tension?

DM