Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Share |

Makita or Fein Grinder?

I am in the market for a basic sized grinder (probably 4-1/2inches...would consider going down to 4" or up to 5"). Money is not a factor for this purchase. What I am looking for is 1) safety and 2) quality.

I was looking most closely at the Makita 4-1/2" 9564PC 13Amp grinder. However, after nearly settling on that one someone told me that Fein makes an arguably better grinder with better safety features. I am just now researching Fein but am looking most closely at the Fein WSG 10-115 T Tip Start 4-1/2" angle grinder.

I make my living operating on people who are careless with powertools so safety is of the utmost importance. I know that all tools are safe when used correctly but the more safety features the better...things like a soft start, anti-kickback mechanisms, safety locking mechanisms to prevent accidental starts, ergonomic design that is easier to handle, blade guards, quick braking systems, as well as trigger type switches that stop the grinder if you drop it as paramount in my decision.

With that said, what is the safest and nicest 4"-5" angle grinder out there? As for uses, it will be a basic all-purpose grinder. I will be cutting some tile but also using it for a wide variety of purposes as they arise in life.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Makita or Fein Grinder?

I was just introduced to Metabo grinders, which I previously had not even heard of.

What are your feelings on those? How do they rank as far as quality and safety compared to Makita and Fein?

Thanks!

DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
In a little over my head

Makita or Fein Grinder?

My Metabo is excellent. A welder friend of mine buys only Metabo.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Makita or Fein Grinder?

What do you plan on doing with it?
If your not using it every day like a full time welder would then just about any brand will work. I've got some 10 year old B&D's that were given to me that still work fine for occasional use.

As far as safety features only one I can think of is the guard that any grinder will come with.
Any grinder is a dangerest tool if not handled properly, think about it, your holding a tool with an exposted spinning blade that's spinning at a very high speed.
oh'mike (05-08-2013), PaliBob (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
In a little over my head

Makita or Fein Grinder?

Besides the guard, the only safety consideration would be whether you'd rather have a switch that clicks on and off and stays there, or a trigger that turns off if you let go. Most of the manufacturers make both, I think.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Tool Geek

Makita or Fein Grinder?

gr

Grinders that have a paddle switch are dangerous. My brother had one that at one time when he released the finger actuated power switch the motor turned off OK but when he put it on the concrete floor an errant wrench on the floor caught the bottom side Paddle switch and he saw the grinder take off on its own and dance six feet across the concrete. The only thing that stopped it was when the grinder ran out of power cord. Luckily nothing got hurt, just a big scare.
*Buy a Grinder with a thumb actuated switch.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Makita or Fein Grinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
think about it, your holding a tool with an exposted spinning blade that's spinning at a very high speed.

Yep, and guys at work keep taking the guard off the little angle grinder and I keep putting it back on.
Should watch the WorksafeBC video on youtube I've seen a few times,

in one scene a guy using one of these grinders on a construction site, no guard etc and the disk shattered and chunks hit him right in the face- it was painful to see!

They show how the disks can just shatter without warning, you'd never think those reinforced disks could shatter, you'd think the grind stones do but not the others, but they can and you sure want a guard on for when it does!
I also don't like those which have the locking-on switch.

Last edited by RWolff; 05-09-2013 at 01:45 AM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Mod

Makita or Fein Grinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDIYer View Post
I was looking most closely at the Makita 4-1/2" 9564PC 13Amp grinder. However, after nearly settling on that one someone told me that Fein makes an arguably better grinder with better safety features. I am just now researching Fein but am looking most closely at the Fein WSG 10-115 T Tip Start 4-1/2" angle grinder.
I own the Makita you listed and have abused it good over the last few years with no problems. Can't say much about the Fein other than I'm sure it's a quality tool as is everything else they make.

Made in the USA used to mean quality, now it seems like you have to look at Germany or Japan for the good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-09-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Makita or Fein Grinder?

I have a number of tools made by Fein. Nice solid construction. My Fein oscillating multi-tool was one of the best tool purchases I ever made. It was pricey but has come in handy for lots of things including cutting tile at times. None of them have ever overheated or bogged down. They do not vibrate or wobble much like some cheaper do. I have never had them apart but they feel like they have metal motor parts, not plastic. Motor brushes are servicable but I have yet to have to think about that.

My Fein grinder felt better balanced to me than others I tried including Makita. No getting around that it was more expensive though. The multi-tool wasn't either but it has more than paid for itself.

As for which to use to operate on people? Doc, I will leave that one to you. The cheaper units with plastic housings and parts are noisier and might bother your more finicky OR nurses.

Don't forget the peripherals like a maneuverable pair of gloves if grinding metal, leaf rake and leaf bags if grinding something that sparks near a pile, fire extinguisher charged and ready just in case but hopefully never to be used, working CFCIs, quality extension cords, and safety glasses!

Last edited by user1007; 05-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote