Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Looking for a Table Saw

Hello all, I'm looking to buy a table saw in the next year to start a few projects. Small projects that is.. I would like to try building an entertainment tv stand. This would be my first attempt at any sort of furniture.

I've been looking in the 300 to 400 dollar range. I do like the Bosch 4100-09, but for 570, that might be out of my budget.

I don't know if not having the option for dados is a big deal or not. Please share your thoughts on that.

I've read a bunch of reviews and just get more confused on what I would like to buy.

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,480

Looking for a Table Saw

Have you looked at the Ryobi table saw? It's in your price range....and does a very good job.

I would also suggest looking at CL. Quite often you will find a good table saw that someone is selling because they either just don't use it or they are upgrading.

For the most part, table saws don't really wear out...it's the blade that does. For me, I don't blink spending $50 or more for a blade.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Looking for a Table Saw

I haven't really looked into the Ryobi line much. I did check out the reviews on amazon and didn't see many good reviews.

I haven't checked CL yet, I like buying stuff with warranties. If not new, then I'd go refurbished.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
JOATMON

Looking for a Table Saw

You got my curiosity up so I looked at some of those reviews. Unless you saw some I didn't, except for one or two plants, they were all positive.

They Ryobi's are very good value.

Don't expect to buy a Kia and get BMW performance.

As someone who started out in your same shoes....I think the Ryobi is a good choice.

Instead of spending a lot of money on a wazu table saw, you should also be looking at a good compound sliding miter saw.

And while your at it....router...and don't forget you biscuit cutter and Kregg jig.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,500

Looking for a Table Saw

I haven't used my biscuit joiner since I got my pocket hole kit, not even once.LOL
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
JOATMON

Looking for a Table Saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I haven't used my biscuit joiner since I got my pocket hole kit, not even once.LOL
If your doing face frames.....yea...that would be about right.....

I still use it for joining planks...you know....make a wide plank out of several narrow planks...

It's also my preferred method to attach plywood or Melamine to a face frame.

The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,906

Looking for a Table Saw

With table saws--bigger is safer---a large table provides more stable handling of the wood---

If you are looking for a portable---remember that they are inherently more dangerous than a full size saw---

I have a huge saw in the shop and a portable on the truck---so I know the difference---be safe---All the portable saws mentioned work just fine--that Ryobi has some nice features for the price---My choice was the Dewalt---Been a great portable.
kwikfishron (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,620

Looking for a Table Saw

When I sell my Unisaw I want to buy a Dewalt, if they are still made the same way they were 10 years ago. I really did like that saw for a small saw.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,152

Looking for a Table Saw

This is all I use any more.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/ryobi+table+saw?NCNI-5
Unless you plan on building cabinets full time it works fine.
Rips though even oak stair treads with the supplied blade with no trouble or burning.
Easy to move around, store, operate.
I like the easy to use table extensions in both directions.
Is it the best saw, no is it one that will work for any DIY weekender, yes. And at 1/2 the price/
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Looking for a Table Saw

is having a table saw that accepts dado blades really necessary?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,152

Looking for a Table Saw

I had two brand new Freud band set and ended up selling them.
Unless you plan of building a lot of shelving units you may not have any use for it.
I just use my straight router bit or my Craig Tool.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
JOATMON

Looking for a Table Saw

My Ryobi table saw has a side top with the router attachment....I leave one of my routers attached to it full time....so I can use the rip fence for either cutting wood....or routing wood.

I agree with Joe....not worth the trouble to use a Dado....unless you like swapping blades all the time....router is not as fast....but...it works fine.

And talking about speed....you actually save time if your not having to do machine setup's all the time. I have 5 drills, 3 routers....5 sanders....drill press....band saw...etc.

When I'm doing face frames, I'll typically have 2 drills set up...one with the Kreg drill bit...the other with the square screw bit.....I rip the face frame wood on the table saw in one go...cut to length using the radial arm saw....then drills for the pocket screws.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,906

Looking for a Table Saw

Dado blades are for cabinet and case work---You need to move up to a big saw to make practical use of them--

A smaller saw is only good for ripping---the table is way to small to safely cross cut.

That being said--you can build some fine things with the smaller saws---but like others have said,you also need a router---but hey,that's a handy tool,too.

Buy your self a table saw---and ask for a router for Christmas---Santa will understand.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,620

Looking for a Table Saw

42 years in the business and I used a dado maybe 4 times. Not much call for fixed shelves now days, most folks want adjustable shelves. I guess the thing I hated most about a dado was the tear out when the blades were coming out of the wood, it just turned me against them. Now days I use a hand plane a really good friend gave me.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,500

Looking for a Table Saw

I think the main thing is what you are planning to use the saw for. I agree a dado is not a deal breaker unless your projects will need you to use one. The only Roybi I have used was on a job site and it was used not very gently but it was light, almost to light gave it a flimsy feel, this was the bench top model no stand. If your projects are going to be using a lot of 2x materials and a lot of cross cutting, or the need to rip sheet goods, plywood, MDF, then I would not go smaller than a good contractor model.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote