Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,034

Level type?

I'm looking for a specific type of level, water/bubble. I have a $2 China level that is 8" long. I used it to set my windows and it worked great. Here is the point I'm trying to make. When you are off the bubble stays to the side until you get close then it slowly comes center, then when you are really close you can see the slightest bit off. What type is this? The reason for this question is I'm leveling out my floor beams with a 6' level and it is linear with the bubble and it is hard to tell when you are a couple of mm off. I ended up being about 1 1/2" low in one corner but you couldn't really see it with the level. Any help? I could tape my cheapy on top of the long one but I would probably end up breaking it. Thanks, dorf dude...

Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,188

Level type?

This maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Level type?-stabila-mason-levels.jpg  

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Level type?

Ditto on the Stabila levels. Can't do much better than these.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Level type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Ditto on the Stabila levels. Can't do much better than these.
Mike Hawkins
Another vote for Stabila.

To check to see it a level is correct, place it on a flat surface, look at the bubble, now the side that was up put down on the flat surface, the bubble should be in the exact same location, if not the level does not read ah level.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Level type?

What type of span are you trying to level? Is this an older home with uneven floors or are you doing new construction.?

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,034

Level type?

It is a remodel of a very old house with the old beams. dorf dude...
Attached Thumbnails
Level type?-398.jpg   Level type?-399.jpg  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Level type?

You could also use a Festool Level

Oops! They are made for Festool by Stabila

Seriously, your surfaces are so irregular, you may be better off with a cheap China Laser level.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92801

Attached Thumbnails
Level type?-festool-level.jpg  
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Don't know it all, yet!

Level type?

Google how to make and use a water level. The kind made from a tube filled with water.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Level type?

The "Stabila" and "Festool" levels must be a regional thing for you guys. After reading this post initially, I went to our local HD and Lowe's and neither carried either of these branded levels. Since our only locally owned Builder's Supply & Hardware went belly up last July 1st., the apron stores are all we have now. I did ask around and was told that HD carries the "Empire" branded levels which are supposed to be very accurate. Being a retired machinist, I feel that I know "accuracy" when I see it. I enjoy retirement but do miss working within .0005", and in some cases with dies--.000050". You learn to appreciate the tools you work with there. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Level type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
To check to see it a level is correct, place it on a flat surface, look at the bubble, now the side that was up put down on the flat surface, the bubble should be in the exact same location, if not the level does not read ah level.
Love this KISS method for testing a level.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Level type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
The "Stabila" and "Festool" levels must be a regional thing for you guys. After reading this post initially, I went to our local HD and Lowe's and neither carried either of these branded levels. Since our only locally owned Builder's Supply & Hardware went belly up last July 1st., the apron stores are all we have now. I did ask around and was told that HD carries the "Empire" branded levels which are supposed to be very accurate. Being a retired machinist, I feel that I know "accuracy" when I see it. I enjoy retirement but do miss working within .0005", and in some cases with dies--.000050". You learn to appreciate the tools you work with there. Thanks, David

Quality products basically are not sold at big box stores. These levels are quality levels, thus are not sold there.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #12

Level type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post

I have 7 stabila levels and love them, they take a beating and are always true. I bought one about 10 years ago after someone told me about them and everytime I needed a different size level I went with stabila. I bought the door jamber set when I had a bunch of doors to hang and they are great. The box stores won't carry quality like this because most people won't spend the money for the quality. You can order them amazon.com.

As for the original poster I would second the laser level or homebuilt water level.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Level type?

Wow, that looks like a cool project.
I'll second the theory that no builders level is going to fully solve your problem. That floor is just too uneven, a level will ride up and down with the bumps. You need to be able to bypass the bumps in the floor. A good laser or a water level will work perfectly.

As an alternative, I suggest you grab a two dollar string line level and some string. Mark a spot 1.5" up from whatever base point you want the rest of the floor level with, then run the string across the beam, pull it tight and take a measurement. Are you trying to get a sort of aggregate level or a true flat and level floor?

FWIW I agree Stabila makes awesome levels but I've found the better Johnson or Empire levels to be very good tools as well.
Robert C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Level type?

I agree that the floor is so uneven you should probably buy or rent a good laser level to get a reference point or two. A good string level might work but you don't want to trust it beyond a certain point if you are framing.

And whatever you do, do not buy a box store level. I understand you said all the building suppy dealers went away but order online or something.

Just curious. How old is this structure? From the pictures it looks like the beams and floor joists are almost hand hewn or something? That subfloor is quite a piece of work too! Does it squeak with ghosts walking on it?

Last edited by user1007; 01-06-2010 at 04:30 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Level type?

Looks like old chestnut beams, very common before 1910 or so.