DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   Left blade circular saws (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/left-blade-circular-saws-133099/)

Total Tool 02-08-2012 11:56 PM

Left blade circular saws
 
Who makes a quality left blade circular saw? I know Bosch and Milwaukee each make one. I think porter cable does too. Other than that, I dont really know of anything.

Anyone have any recommendations? Why dont more companies offer saws with blades on the left side of the motor?

builttolast 02-09-2012 12:00 AM

Because most people who want a Left blade style go with a Wormdrive i would think. Milwaukee makes a great one (left blade circular) in my opinion. As for worm drives, I like the one bosch has to be honest.

PaliBob 02-09-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Total Tool (Post 848374)
Why dont more companies offer left blades?

All blades are unisex. They can be used on RH or LH circular saws.
.

toolaholic 02-09-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaliBob
All blades are unisex. They can be used on RH or LH circular saws.
.

But the ones that are marketed for LH saws have blade direction, manufacturer name etc showing while on saw! Blades marketed for RH saws will have info on blade not visible ie facing in when put on saw! For example a Freud 6 -1/2 inch blade bought for my Milwaukee LH 6310 18 volt saw has info showing but the CMT blade bought for the same saw has info facing in! So Freud had cordless LH saws in mind designing blade. It's just a pain to check that blade direction arrows match when info is on inside!

PaliBob 02-09-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolaholic (Post 848443)
It's just a pain to check that blade direction arrows match !

After you've changed a few, it's easier to remember.

joecaption 02-09-2012 07:24 AM

Since about 99% of ciruler saws are right hand why would any company invest the money to do that?
Not only would they have to lable everyone of the differant blades they make but then who's going to buy them? No distributor or sales outlet is going to give them the shelve space for an item with that low a turn over rate.

Total Tool 02-09-2012 08:09 AM

I'm not sure how anyone would think I was talking about just the blades...:huh:

The title of the thread is left blade circular saw. Anyone have input on those? Or know of any besides the Milwaukee or bosch?

toolaholic 02-09-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Since about 99% of ciruler saws are right hand why would any company invest the money to do that?
Not only would they have to lable everyone of the differant blades they make but then who's going to buy them? No distributor or sales outlet is going to give them the shelve space for an item with that low a turn over rate.

Guess it's not that expensive to stamp, print etc info on the other side! FWIW I use my Bosch 1578 LH blade top handle the most! My old Dewalt 357 Right hand blade sidewinder doesn't come out to play much!

toolaholic 02-09-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Total Tool
I'm not sure how anyone would think I was talking about just the blades...:huh:

The title of the thread is left blade circular saw. Anyone have input on those? Or know of any besides the Milwaukee or bosch?

I like the blade on the left! Cause as right handed person I can watch the blade cut through the line w/o looking over the saw! Plus I like the extra torque of a worm drive which are left hand blades!

joecaption 02-09-2012 08:14 AM

Your right, my mistake. I think it's the last line in your post that started that line of thought. Once you go back and read your post agin it makes more since.

toolaholic 02-09-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Total Tool
Who makes a quality left blade circular saw? I know Bosch and Milwaukee each make one. I think porter cable does too. Other than that, I dont really know of anything.

Anyone have any recommendations? Why dont more companies offer left blades?

I like my bosch 1578! Not made anymore but can still be found! I like the top handle.
Most workers are rear handle!

toolaholic 02-09-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolaholic

I like my bosch 1578! Not made anymore but can still be found! I like the top handle.
Most workers are rear handle!

Sorry it's the 1678!

raylo32 02-09-2012 09:25 AM

Makita makes an 18V cordless left blader, the BSS610Z.

framer52 02-09-2012 09:32 AM

all of the cordless saws are left handed.

I have the PC lefty

Red Squirrel 02-09-2012 02:29 PM

I also find it odd that most saws have the blade on the right. If you are right handed, it would make more sense if the blade was on the left where you can see it better while cutting. When I was in the market for one I could not find any so I settled for one with the blade on the right. You can still kinda peak at it, but it requires getting your face a little closer. Wear those safety goggles. It also depends if you are cutting away from yourself, or sideways. If you are cutting sideways then it's not so much an issue. Depends what you are cutting and how you're placed.

Oddly,. the cordless ones seem to have the blade to the left, not sure why only the cordless ones though. My guess is the AC motors probably all come from the same manufacturer and they are designed to spin a certain way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.