Laser Line Levels - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laser Line Levels


This would be a new tool for me. I've got a rehab coming up where I'm gonna tear out the sub-ceiling, which was put in to cover up the electrical and plumbing upgrades to the upstairs years prior. I've been told that Laser Line levels come in real handy when it comes to what I plan on doing - which is to frame up 2x4's in preparation for installing a new ceiling out of drywall. Has anyone used a Laser Line level for that purpose?
Thanks.
Dick

Advertisement

RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Laser Line Levels


a water level is cheaper... both work well.

Advertisement

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
a water level is cheaper... both work well.
Yeah, I used to use a water level back in the day. But that was then and now is now. After looking at some tutorials no Ytube, I can really understand how many ways you can put these to good use. There's a brand for sale with a 9'6" pole (floor to ceiling) for $70. It's worth $70 to give it a whirl.
Dick
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 204
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Laser Line Levels


water level w/ mason's line, nothing more accurate!

problem with the laser levels (the cheap ones i've had) is you're level is based on a little 6" device... the margin of error projected 40ft away is pretty bad

the 650nm red laser light is really hard to see as well. a 532nm green laser appears MUCH brighter to the human eye even at the same power output... but i've never seen a green laser leveler yet..
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyboy For This Useful Post:
RMCarner (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,334
Rewards Points: 3,306
Default

Laser Line Levels


You will find the cheap(under $350) line lasers are useless----you will waste more time messing with it --and then you will just give it us as a bad job.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (08-11-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
water level w/ mason's line, nothing more accurate!

problem with the laser levels (the cheap ones i've had) is you're level is based on a little 6" device... the margin of error projected 40ft away is pretty bad

the 650nm red laser light is really hard to see as well. a 532nm green laser appears MUCH brighter to the human eye even at the same power output... but i've never seen a green laser leveler yet..
Understood. What about inside? Running lines horizontal and vertical for a sub ceiling, kitchen cabinets, or a tile floor? Try to keep an open mind. It's tough the older you get. I know. I'm stretching into my 60's... Here is a link to some reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-77-214...d=2TTXU1N2Y91N

If the link don't work let me know. Thanks.
Dick
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,843
Rewards Points: 2,474
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You will find the cheap(under $350) line lasers are useless----you will waste more time messing with it --and then you will just give it us as a bad job.---Mike---
There not useless, you can have endless hours of fun playing with the cat.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-12-2010)
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Tool Geek
 
PaliBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 2,072
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Not useless, you can have endless hours of fun playing with the cat.
LOL
__________________
Disclaimer
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Tool Geek
 
PaliBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 2,072
Default

Laser Line Levels


I bought one from HF solely for the elevator tripod to use for my two beam Stabila Laser.

The HF model that I bought was not motorized and is now discontinued, but it came with the same nifty elevator head tripod all packaged in a black plastic carrying case.


HF-Motorized Rotary Laser Level Kit
.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Disclaimer
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
I bought one from HF solely for the elevator tripod to use for my two beam Stabila Laser.

The HF model that I bought was not motorized and is now discontinued, but it came with the same nifty elevator head tripod all packaged in a black plastic carrying case.


HF-Motorized Rotary Laser Level Kit
.
I wondering. Was this unit mounted on a tripod able to shoot lines just below the ceiling?
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Tool Geek
 
PaliBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 2,072
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCarner View Post
.....Was this unit mounted on a tripod able to shoot lines just below the ceiling?
The Tripod pictured will not elevate to ceiling height.
For a ceiling height laser pole mounts are common in finished rooms.

For rooms with exposed framing or for installing a dropped ceiling RoboToolz has a nifty Ceiling Mount that can also be clamped on structure or hung by nails.
Robotoolz RT-A1350 Wall/Ceiling floor Mount..

The first pic is my Stabila Laser mounted on the RoboToolz Ceiling Mount
.
Attached Thumbnails
Laser Line Levels-laser-ceiling-mount.jpg   Laser Line Levels-robo-laser-mount.jpg  
__________________
Disclaimer
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 08-12-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaliBob For This Useful Post:
RMCarner (08-12-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post

The Tripod pictured will not elevate to ceiling height.
For a ceiling height laser pole mounts are common in finished rooms.

For rooms with exposed framing or for installing a dropped ceiling RoboToolz has a nifty Ceiling Mount that can also be clamped on structure or hung by nails.
Robotoolz RT-A1350 Wall/Ceiling floor Mount..

The first pic is my Stabila Laser mounted on the RoboToolz Ceiling Mount
.
I'd prefer a pole that goes floor to ceiling such as this by Agatec. Attached File shows image. The pole would work best in an unfinished or gutted space, I believe. They can be had for as low as $61. They break down into 4 sections and goes up to 12', I think. What model # is you Stabila? It doesn't not look like it came from Harbor Freight.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Laser Line Levels-untitled.jpg  
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Tool Geek
 
PaliBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 2,072
Default

Laser Line Levels


Right HF does not sell Stabila
They do now have an adjustable pole that looks similar to your pic.
2-in-1 Support/Cargo Bar

Fastcap sells a nifty Laser Mount that clamps magnetically to a pole
Laser Mount for 3rd Hand Extension Tool
.
Attached Thumbnails
Laser Line Levels-hf-bar.jpg  
__________________
Disclaimer
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 08-12-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: bad Link
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaliBob For This Useful Post:
RMCarner (08-12-2010)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Right HF does not sell Stabila
They do now have an adjustable pole that looks similar to your pic.
2-in-1 Support/Cargo Bar

Fastcap sells a nifty Laser Mount that clamps magnetically to a pole
Laser Mount for 3rd Hand Extension Tool
.
Thanks for the links. I'm not convince the Cargo bar with cut it. One of the things about the various extension poles is the mounting threads (like your tripod) that you need for lasers or, for that matter, cameras. But wait. An enterprising person could drill/tap/thread and rig out for a laser level with this rig. I actually like doing stuff like that when it comes to saving money. And for the price, you can't beat HF's. Fo' sho.
The second link you provided is broken.

Thanks!
Dick
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Tool Geek
 
PaliBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,546
Rewards Points: 2,072
Default

Laser Line Levels


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCarner View Post
.....The second link you provided is broken.....
Fixed

Advertisement

__________________
Disclaimer
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tapping water line for new line KarlJay Plumbing 5 07-28-2010 10:30 AM
Natural gas line????? figs Plumbing 1 06-14-2009 02:13 PM
electric line and gas line couch potatoe Electrical 17 09-30-2008 11:43 PM
Condensate Line schott HVAC 17 06-02-2008 04:16 PM
Laser Levels laserlady Carpentry 10 12-14-2006 02:40 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts