Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
The Moose is loose.

Share |

Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?

Was having a conversation with my brother who used to do contractor work and it reminded me of all the cordless power tools that his boss used to keep as "stock". Anytime a guy would burn up a drill, driver, recip. saw, or anything he would just give him a new one from his supply. I'm talking at least 6-7 of any kind of battery powered power tool you can imagine. A mix of Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita mostly. I wish I had a picture because it looked like something from a smuggling ring or something.

Anyway, what's the biggest tool supply you guys have seen like this that wasn't store owned to sell to consumers?
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

ive seen several.. my collection is considered out of hand. i have 2 of just about everything,, 3 or 4 of certain items.

the largest nail gun collection belongs to loneframer... his cordless drill collection is up there also among other tools lol
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
ive seen several.. my collection is considered out of hand. i have 2 of just about everything,, 3 or 4 of certain items.

the largest nail gun collection belongs to loneframer... his cordless drill collection is up there also among other tools lol
Well, in the circle I run in, I'd say I'm in the top 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-004.jpg   Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-002-1.jpg   Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-004-1.jpg   Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-002.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
KemoSabe

couple more
Attached Thumbnails
Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-005.jpg   Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-006.jpg   Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-009.jpg   Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-004.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
The Moose is loose.

Loneframer you are a monster that is out of control. I like it. I'd love some advice on some good air nailers for different uses. Finish to framing if you don't mind?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle86 View Post
Loneframer you are a monster that is out of control. I like it. I'd love some advice on some good air nailers for different uses. Finish to framing if you don't mind?
I'm partial to Paslode and Hitachi for most types of guns. I really like the Paslode Impulse cordless line of tools. They are nowhere near as temperamental as they were years ago. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

For pneumatics, Hitachi served me well in framing and trim, as did Paslode.

For roofing, Hitachi holds top marks from me, then Bostitch, with Paslode bringing up third. I might have to get my hands on the new Paslode Impulse cordless one and give it a try.

For trimwork, I like Paslode, Hitachi and Senco.

Flooring, I like my Bostitch, but haven't really used anything else for comparison.

These brands have been very reliable in my experience, as well as having accessibility to service and parts.
BigJim (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
couple more
Where do the batteries go?Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by packer_rich; 12-30-2011 at 09:28 PM.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
Where do the batteries go?
Batteries? We don't need no steenkin' batteries.

These are the epitome of cordless tools.

Isn't it funny that after 100+ years of power tool evolution, true convenience comes from freedom from "the grid"?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

wait a minute.. makita's.. you left those out riz
Old 12-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
KemoSabe

Quote:
wait a minute.. makita's.. you left those out riz
In 25+ years in construction, the only Makita tool I've ever owned was the 9.6V cordless drill. At that time, (around 1990) it was top of the line.

I also was on a crew that had a Makita miter box. (1986) No bevel capability, but it was a huge step up from my dads Stanley box and Disston back saw.

As for guns, I only know of one person who used a Makita roofing gun. If I recall, it was very heavy, although they may have refined them over the last 15 years or so.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
journeyman carpenter

ahh, i thought for some reason i remember seeing pics from the h.o.h where there were 2 of the white makita drills sitting on a work bench for assembling window boxes

next rain day im going ot update my pics of my tool collection.. my last pics are out of date and not all my gear is at home right now.. some of it is on loan to a buddy whos also a carpenter
Old 12-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
KemoSabe

Quote:
ahh, i thought for some reason i remember seeing pics from the h.o.h where there were 2 of the white makita drills sitting on a work bench for assembling window boxes

next rain day im going ot update my pics of my tool collection.. my last pics are out of date and not all my gear is at home right now.. some of it is on loan to a buddy whos also a carpenter
Ahh, you are correct. Those drills happened to be the GCs. I have used them, but was not impressed because of the fact that they are packaged with only one battery. Compared to my Bosch drills, they are not a great value.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest private tool collection you've ever seen?-003.jpg  
woodworkbykirk (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
The Moose is loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Ahh, you are correct. Those drills happened to be the GCs. I have used them, but was not impressed because of the fact that they are packaged with only one battery. Compared to my Bosch drills, they are not a great value.
That is probably my single biggest gripe about Makita tools. Along with the elevated price. The value is a concern.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
STAFF

I really don't want to post a picture of all my tools, it is too easy for the sleazy thieves to find out where a person lives.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
The Moose is loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
I really don't want to post a picture of all my tools, it is too easy for the sleazy thieves to find out where a person lives.
Don't blame you one bit. I really wasn't wanting pictures of members' tools. I feel like that would be out of bounds to ask for. I just wanted to know what people have seen with their own eyes. No need to get someone's way of making a living stolen over a silly message board.