Kobalt USA And Gearwrench USA Torque Wrench Opinions - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Kobalt USA and Gearwrench USA torque wrench opinions

I have 2 Kobalt made in USA torque wrenches( current line is tawain); one is 3/8 and one is 1/2 drive. I paid $78 2years ago for the 3/8 and $37 (clearance)last fall for the 1/2 drive. My mechanic friend loves his snap on $500 torque wrench and doesn't think to much of the kobalts. He does like my gearwrench 1/4 drive torque I bought recently. I use the Kobalts to work on my Dakota R/T pick up and to torque my ariens professional lawn mower blade to 50 lb feet of torque. I like em! R they as bad as my friends says. They seem ok to me. They are always stored in their plastic cases and set to the lowest torque setting on wrench ie 10 for 3/8 and 25 for the 1/2 drive.

Advertisement

Last edited by toolaholic; 05-21-2012 at 05:02 PM.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

I cannot speak for the Kobalt, but I can speak for the Gearwrench because I work part-time for Fastenal and we sell the entire line of Gearwrench tools. The Gearwrench IS made overseas, the tools are made to not only Fastenal's specs but they also meet United States ANSI (American National Standards Institute) requirements, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) requirements, and ASTMA (American Society of Tool Manufacturers Axxxxx). They must also meet MIL-Spec (Military Specs) as we sell to various military bases and contractors throughout the United States. Gearwrench tool do carry the old "Sears/Craftsman" warranty, if it breaks-it will be replaced, if it gets bent-it will be replaced, if it gets too many scratches and you want to come in and complain--I will replace it to keep your business. All this at no extra cost, not even for shipping in the item. I work at one of the largest papermaking factories in the U.S. and we sell a lot of Gearwrench to the company maintenance techs and to the contracted maintenance techs. P.S.--as far as the Gearwrench line of torque wrenches: IF one ever fails to maintain their torque specs, bring it into a Fastenal store and we will ship (no charge) this back to our facility in Wisconsin for evaluation and/or repair/calibration--no charge.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

For working at home they should last just fine. In a shop where I use them daily I don't think they would hold up I'll keep my snap-on...way too expensive for home tools though. I love the gear wrenches though I break them fairly often but they are warranted and a time saver!
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjm94 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-23-2012)