DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Killed my Dremel

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Clutchcargo 
#1 ·
I killed my Dremel tonight cutting through plaster, I think the dust got into the bearings.
I need a heavier duty rotary saw.
I checked out the Rotozip at HD and although it's more durable than the little dremel, it also seems a bit light duty. Any recommendations or is Rotozip the only way to go.

#3 ·
I've got a six year old variable speed RotoZip (pre-Bosch) and a two year old DeWalt cutout tool. Truthfully, it's painfully hard to burn either tool out. They're both excellent tools and made for cutting drywall and such, so drywall dust should never, ever be a problem.

The RotoZip is by far and by design the more versatile power tool. In fact, I use my RotoZip with the ZipMate attachment and masonry or metal cutting wheels all of the time to install doggie doors in stucco walls or through metal jacketed doors. Stucco dust is brutal on gears, bearings and such and it has never flinched. Metal dust is also pretty harsh. I've even used the RotoZip and ZipMate with the dry diamond tile cutting wheel on thick floor tiles without so much as a whimper or hesitation. For me, it's an exceptionally versatile and rugged problem solver type of power tool.

#5 · (Edited)
45 minutes... That's the amount of time the Rotozip lasted. My Dremel outlived it. The motor lock jammed up so I couldn't change out the bits. The motor ran fine though. I guess plaster dust is murder on tools. The good thing is that both Lowes and HD have excellent return policies. On to the Dewalt, if I can find a retailer that sells it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.