Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Share |

jammed bostitch brad nailer

Manual says to pull out fastener (head first) with pliers. That just broke the fastner. A forum post somewhere else said to drive the firing pin back in, carefully, but that as last resort the firing head has to be disassembled. I tried carefully driving the pin back and something indeed moved but fastener still won't budge.

Anybody know the right way to do this? or even how to disassemble the thing?

If the advice is simply to throw it out and buy a different brand, I can live with that.

Thanks.

philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

Post the model number----Usually there are Allen set screws that hold the nose cover on.

Remove those and you can see the driver---push it up and work out the jammed nail.

If you get a new gun --get one with a latch opening nose.---I don't like the Bostich brad guns

Jamming a brad happens to often to need tools to free it up.---Mike---

Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #3

Phil,
The guns are pretty simple. Usually some allenheads holding the head together. Inside you'll find a piston with the driver bar attached to it. Try taking it apart and just set the parts on a clean cloth or workbench in the order you took them apart. You should be able to retract the piston/driver assy out. Once this is out, you broken brad should come out also. Clean everything up, check o rings to see if they need to be replaced. Check the end of the driver to see if it looks like its chipped. Sometimes a small piece will break off the end. You can buy rebuild kits which usually include the driver, o rings, and any gaskets needed. Just check the price first. I have bought porter cable brad guns that were reconditioned and looked and shot like new for $39 on sale.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

Ugh, meant to include model no. and forgot. It's an 1855. Yup, I removed the allen wrench screws that hold the nose cover on but that didn;t seem to losen anything up,either the driver pin or the fastener. ??
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #5

Progress. After a g&t with dinner I got up the nerve to pull hard on the nose cover. Popped right off. I think now I see what to take apart. Thanks! The replies did help.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

I spent 2 hours jamming and unjamming my Bostitch 1850bn brad nailer before I realized I had wrong gauge (16) nails in it.
edrudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

yah.. 2 hrs of that and you may have permently damaged the gun.

as for unjamming the gun, disconnect the air. take out the rack of nails. sometimes its a combo of using a small nail set and pliers to push the drive pin back and pull the jammed nail out. but heres the question DID YOU OIL THE GUN before using it
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #8

Thanks woodworkbykirk,
Bought this nailer less than a year ago and hadn't used the brad nailer but once to try it out. I was using the the bigger gun of the 3 gun set before project. I doubt I had oiled it before. It is now. after each jam I would take the 3 screws off of the driver guide and just pull out the offending nail. The 2 hours was not a constant use of jamming. I spent time trying to assess the situation including a good magnifying glass. Anyway, after putting in proper gauge brads, it is working perfectly. Lucky I guess. Thanks for the safety tips, which i did always disconnect the airline.

edrudge is offline   Reply With Quote