Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Share |

Impression of sawzall (reciprocating saw)

I have some questions for reciprocating saw, and I am looking for some people or experts who have ever use this kind of tool.

I wonder that what is the impression you have for using different brands of reciprocating saws.

What do you think about sawzall (reciprocating saw)?

How many brands of reciprocating saw you have used before? What brand is your favorite?

What are the impressions of them?

What are the good aspects and bad aspects of different reciprocating saws you think?

Do you have any ideas that how to improve the existing reciprocating saw products?

I will appreciate for your sharing experience.
Thanks

joygua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joygua View Post
They are an invaluable tool in the construction, remodeling, and demolition industry. If a worker does not have one in their work vehicle, they are missing a very important tool.

Quote:
How many brands of reciprocating saw you have used before? What brand is your favorite?
Milwaukee, Portar Cables, Dewalts. They all seem to work fine. We have a Craftsman Industrial recipricating saw, bought in 1988, even it still works.

Quote:
See answer to the first question.
Required tool for the pros. Home Owners needing them = not sure?

Quote:
What are the good aspects and bad aspects of different reciprocating saws you think?
Ease of connection and disconnection of new blades. Older models required allen wrenches or other, to swap out blades. Newer models use simple paddles, or other methods. Some saws are "orbital", so that you can twist the head of the unit, to get it into tight areas.

Quote:
Do you have any ideas that how to improve the existing reciprocating saw products?
I can't think of anything. Many new revisions have come out in the past 5 years that have helped, including affordable cordless models.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #3

Hands down a valuable asset for me. I to have had many recep saws in the past.Porter Cable Tiger has been my go to tool for years now.Years past a chainsaw was my go to tool.The quick blade change feature was a great plus.As to any changes I would make on them,,,,,Lets just say that if a guy were to have a idea he/she/I would be registering it............

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #4

I am really appreciate for your comments!

Actually, I am a student of a design college. I am doing a research for reciprocating saw and try to figure out some opportunities to redesign a reciprocating saw. Because I am not adept in tools, I hope that I can get some feedback from the forum.

I believe that your opinions would be really helpful for me, because each of you here have better knowledge with tools than me. So I really appreciate for more feedback.

What I am thinking about is the user group for reciprocating saw? Because I am a female and also the first user of reciprocating saw, I think that maybe I can give another perspective and focus on the female users. But I am not very sure that is female a large target group here. If anyone can share their experience and thoughts with me, I will really appreciate for it!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

As a female, I am pretty sure I use a reciprocating saw the same way a guy does - insert bad joke here.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #6

Thanks for your sharing!

But I still have some question about the female users. ha

Do you have any problems when you are using reciprocating saw?
(such as the weight, size......)
saws.
What do you think about reciprocating saw?
How many brands of reciprocating saw you have used before?
What are the good aspects and bad aspects of different reciprocating saws you think? especially for women

I will deeply appreciate your help!!! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Thanks for your sharing!

But I still have some question about the female users. ha

Do you have any problems when you are using reciprocating saw? No
(such as the weight, size......)
saws.
What do you think about reciprocating saw? Good tool, a must for real renovation.
How many brands of reciprocating saw you have used before? two or three, I own a dewalt 18V.
What are the impressions of them? All of them did the job.
What are the good aspects and bad aspects of different reciprocating saws you think? especially for women All seem pretty much the same.
Do you have any ideas that how to improve the existing reciprocating saw products? Nope. There doesn't seem any fundamental changes you could make to the tool to change it for a woman. IMO downsizing tools for women just make for downsized tools. But, I'd love one in pink.

I will deeply appreciate your help!!! Thanks!
If you have more specific questions you can PM me.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
I have some questions for reciprocating saw, and I am looking for some people or experts who have ever use this kind of tool.

I wonder that what is the impression you have for using different brands of reciprocating saws.

Sawzall is the brand of Milwaukee recipro saw- I don't have that one but many contractors seem to use that one.

How many brands of reciprocating saw you have used before? What brand is your favorite? I have two, Makita and Porter-Cable

My Makita is older and more streamlined, lighter weight, the P-C is powerful but much heavier, wears on my arm when trying to get initially positioned with one hand.
What are the good aspects and bad aspects of different reciprocating saws you think? The easy blade release feature is a plus on new types. Any product that can be toolless (no wrenches or keys) is a great help as long as the lack of wrench is not a weakness in that tool.

Do you have any ideas that how to improve the existing reciprocating saw products? Swivel or angled head may be useful as would easily removeable, replaceable cord like Milwaukee sometimes has. A good focused light might be a worthwhile accessory.
As above
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
But, I'd love one in pink.
Purple would be good too.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #10

Have been using a 15 yr old Makita recip saw and recently replaced it with a
DeWalt 385 XRP cordless unit.
Reasons were :
Recently decided to switch to Dewalt cordless when I needed a new cordless drill, bought the 18v DC925 hammer drill with 2 XRP batteries, then added "bare tools" cordless circular saw, flashlight and lastly the refurbished recip saw for $50 from ebay, so all tools use the same battery / charger.
Working on construction sites performing service on windows / doors, often requires power tools and quite often there is no electrical service available, so cordless is a huge asset. Continuing problem with the old Makita was the blade coming loose due to worn allen bolt and not being able to find the right allen key to tighten it :-) the DeWalt has tool-less blade change.
Repsol_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
DIY Hack

Quote:
I

Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee --- Milwaukee best by far

What are the impressions of them? Dewalt didn't last at all, Makita was much better, but had unreliable blade holder

What are the good aspects and bad aspects of different reciprocating saws you think? weight, balance,

Do you have any ideas that how to improve the existing reciprocating saw products? make the guard / rest in the front more adjustable, not just two or three positions
--------

Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote