Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #46
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Share |
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
You are free to believe what you want however incorrect it may be...just stop spreading false information.
i'll take an apology for this one

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #47
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


hehe i thought so
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #48
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
hehe i thought so
He's just piste!
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #49
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #50
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Posts: 383
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
you really should try using onethere is no need to hammer a screw,bolt or nut in,the only pressure needed or wanted is to keep the bit engaged in the screw tip...so your saying when you need to remove a screw you hammer it out?

you believe what you want tho i don't care
The downward force is intened for breaking loose siezed or rusted fastners. It is a very effective technique. Obviously, it is a technique used more often in mechanical work than wood contruction work.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #51
Jack of all - master none
 
hyunelan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 1,197
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


I bought a 10.8v LION Hitachi impact driver a couple of months ago - haven't touched my 18v drill/driver since. I like its light weight and small size - easy to get into tight spaces. It has enough power to drive a 3" screw into wood with ease.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 109
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I bought a 10.8v LION Hitachi impact driver a couple of months ago - haven't touched my 18v drill/driver since. I like its light weight and small size - easy to get into tight spaces. It has enough power to drive a 3" screw into wood with ease.
That's the one I was looking at - I was thinking of the set that they have at Costco with the impact driver and the compact sawzall. Seems like it has gotten good reviews.

Or do I just get the impact driver for my 19.2 Craftsman stuff.

Decisions, decisions....
itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NW Chicago burbs
Posts: 383
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Keeping with one battery set is a factor to consider.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #54
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
Keeping with one battery set is a factor to consider.
a very good point to consider. That way, if you buy separate units rather than a combo set, you end up with more batteries that are usable in all of the tools. Helps avoid running out of power if you are doing a lot of work at one time. If you have one that craps out totally, it is less of a problem as well as you have several others instead of just one.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #55
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
a very good point to consider. That way, if you buy separate units rather than a combo set, you end up with more batteries that are usable in all of the tools. Helps avoid running out of power if you are doing a lot of work at one time. If you have one that craps out totally, it is less of a problem as well as you have several others instead of just one.
Yeah. The 18v DeWALT impact driver I'm looking at does not come with batteries. In a way it's no big deal, because I already have 2 batteries & a charger. However, if I could pick up an extra battery or two - for the right price - that'd be wonderful.

I guess I'll just keep looking.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #56
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Yeah. The 18v DeWALT impact driver I'm looking at does not come with batteries. In a way it's no big deal, because I already have 2 batteries & a charger. However, if I could pick up an extra battery or two - for the right price - that'd be wonderful.

I guess I'll just keep looking.
After pricing batteries for several different brands and types of batteries, I have come to the conclusion that when you buy a drill or driver, you aren't actually buying the tool. You are buying the batteries and they toss the tool in for free.

The batteries seem to be inexplicably expensive when comparing them to a complete tool package. I have found times where it was almost less expensive to buy a new tool with battery and charger than to buy just a battery.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #57
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
After pricing batteries for several different brands and types of batteries, I have come to the conclusion that when you buy a drill or driver, you aren't actually buying the tool. You are buying the batteries and they toss the tool in for free.

The batteries seem to be inexplicably expensive when comparing them to a complete tool package. I have found times where it was almost less expensive to buy a new tool with battery and charger than to buy just a battery.
Wow - ain't that the truth!

For quite a few years I had a Makita cordless drill with 2 batteries. The kit cost $99 new. The drill was awesome. I beat the heck out of that thing. But eventually both batteries died, and it was going to cost (if I recall correctly) $129 for a 2-pack of new batteries.

So a perfectly good drill gets tossed.

Last edited by DrHicks; 01-19-2011 at 10:43 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #58
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,736
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Often times when I need batteries, I buy a combo set with batteries, and sell the drill and charger on fleabay or yard sales.
__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Often times when I need batteries, I buy a combo set with batteries, and sell the drill and charger on fleabay or yard sales.
Well shoot, if that's the case, just send them to me! I might even pay shipping.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #60
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 109
Default

Impact Driver - Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
Keeping with one battery set is a factor to consider.
Yup - but having a smaller impact driver would be nice to get into some tight spaces where the "big" tool won't fit or makes for a hard fit.

itguy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Impact Wrench vs Impact Driver piste Tools 8 01-15-2013 09:22 PM
Bosch PS41 12V Impact Driver PaliBob Tools 0 11-01-2010 12:25 PM
Picked up my first impact driver ajtool Tools 8 10-31-2010 11:23 AM
Small impact driver vs. driver/drill Shrute Tools 17 05-02-2010 11:49 PM
Makita Impact Driver vs Wrench HELP! the496rocket Tools 8 02-14-2006 07:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.