DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   impact driver for mixing thinset? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/impact-driver-mixing-thinset-156800/)

Amateuralex 09-14-2012 12:53 PM

impact driver for mixing thinset?
 
I need a new drill and I was wondering if there was an any reason that an impact driver wouldn't be good for mixing thinset?

bbo 09-14-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateuralex (Post 1009843)
I need a new drill and I was wondering if there was an any reason that an impact driver wouldn't be good for mixing thinset?

do they even make the mixing attachments with the impact driver end? most impact drivers i see are only 1/4 inch.

Amateuralex 09-14-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbo (Post 1009858)
do they even make the mixing attachments with the impact driver end? most impact drivers i see are only 1/4 inch.

Ah good point!

bbo 09-14-2012 01:43 PM

i just bought an on sale 1/2 drill from Sears to use for mixing mud.

Amateuralex 09-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbo (Post 1009869)
i just bought an on sale 1/2 drill from Sears to use for mixing mud.

Yeah I think it's time to just get a corded electric drill for this to stop worrying about batteries etc. They look pretty cheap. I won't use them for much else but whatever. I have 13 more bags of thinset to mix for this project so this alone is worth the 30-40$ for a corded drill.

Fix'n it 09-15-2012 10:03 AM

:eek: there are now 2 completely different tools, with the same name :laughing: sheeesh.

joecaption 09-15-2012 10:06 AM

Going to need a 1/2 HD drill for this one unless you want to burn it up before your done with the job.

12penny 09-15-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1010325)
Going to need a 1/2 HD drill for this one unless you want to burn it up before your done with the job.



Agreed, been there done that. Regular 1/2" drill doesnt have the torque.

toolaholic 09-15-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny

Agreed, been there done that. Regular 1/2" drill doesnt have the torque.

Get a low speed (450,500,550rpm) 1/2 inch spade or D handle drill. I have a Milwaukee 1663-20 450rpm 7 amp spade handle drill w/ speed dial that adjusts to 115rpm to 450rpm. Around 225 works well for driveway sealer,thinset etc. I have a big 8 amp Porter Cable model 7554 variable speed 0-500rpm d handle that would make a great mixer too! The big D handles and spades run alot cooler under heavy loads then pistol grip 1/2 inch drills. Drilling out a tree stump w/ a 1 1/2 auger bit makes the big Milwaukee and Porter Cable drills run only slightly warm! I once mixed some concrete resurfacer w/ my Makita 6302H 6.5 amp 0-550rpm drill. It did the job but labored a little bit. The PC and Milwaukee mix effortlessly.

jrepp44 09-18-2012 10:12 AM

I have had good results mixing mortar with this drill: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-93632.html

toolaholic 09-18-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrepp44
I have had good results mixing mortar with this drill: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ill-93632.html

Nice affordable choice!

PaliBob 09-19-2012 05:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use an old Craftsman to mix mud. I recently replaced the original 1960's blow molded case whose original hinges fell apart on the first use with a huge Flambeau case that's got plenty of room.
I got the new yellow Flambeau case from Sears.

toolaholic 09-19-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaliBob
I use an old Craftsman to mix mud. I recently replaced the original 1960's blow molded case whose original hinges fell apart on the first use with a huge Flambeau case that's got plenty of room.
I got the new yellow Flambeau case from Sears.

Best thing about your drill PaliBob is the long pipe handle. Milwaukee uses a long one on their spades. The long handle goes a long way toward controlling the kickback from stalling and drill bit binding/hitting knot etc.

woodworkbykirk 09-19-2012 07:59 PM

if you try to use a cordless to mix mortar youll burn up the mortar before its half mixed. if its craftsman it will burn up in seconds

pick up a d handle drill as mentioned or rent one. its the tool used by all proffesional tile installers and drywall finishers for mixing

F350 09-22-2012 11:37 PM

Is there a list of good mixing drills to use for mud and etc? I'm looking for one for a reasonable price, that means old and/or used. I googled the aforementioned tools, and they are out of my price range atm.

I bought the HF one and it burnt up after only 30 seconds. I took it back for a refund.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved