Impact Drill - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Impact drill

I just started collecting tools and before I go out and buy a impact drill what does it do that my regular drill doesn't should I even buy one is it a waste of many can't I just use my drill now for all my work?

Advertisement

Hudnall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,274

Impact drill

Quote:
I just started collecting tools and before I go out and buy a impact drill what does it do that my regular drill doesn't
Ayuh,... It allows you to drill concrete, 'n stone....
A standard drill will only burn up the bits...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Impact drill

An impact drill is NOT a hammer drill.

The advantage of the impact over the regular drill is the ability to drive fasteners in with much less arm force than a regular drill.

How many times have you been trying to wind in a lag bolt or good sized screws and the bit just keeps slipping off?

I'm not saying it won't happen sometimes, but when it does, you can be guaranteed that is the bit or screw and NOT the drill.

Get a good one
Makita lithium Ion is what I currently use
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

Impact drill

So I should get a impact drill?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #5

Impact drill

Quote:
An impact drill is NOT a hammer drill.

Ayuh,... At 1st glance, it's You who is confusing an impact Drill, with an impact Driver....

What Puts the Impact in an Impact Drill?
Supplemental pressure, operated by a manual feed, describes how impact drills work to aid in boring faster into concrete, rock, or other challenging materials. A mechanism located in the drill gearing system makes it possible, at the flip of a switch or lever, to pulsate the drill chuck and bit forward at speeds of up to 48,000 times every 60 seconds.
This special mechanism defines in a nutshell how impact drills work. The impact function of an impact drill can only be used when working with masonry, however. To avoid damage to it, the impact mechanism should always be turned to the off position when the drill is used to drill into wood, plastic, metal, or any material other than masonry.
As defined Here...

Quote:
So I should get a impact drill?
Do you ever plan to drill concrete or stone,..?? then Yes...

If not, then No...
Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

Impact drill

Should I get certain drill bits for a impact drill or can I use normal ones
Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #7

Impact drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudnall18 View Post
Should I get certain drill bits for a impact drill or can I use normal ones
That's completely dependent on the Material you intend to drill holes in...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
old guy contractor

Impact drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post

Ayuh,... At 1st glance, it's You who is confusing an impact Drill, with an impact Driver....
my bad
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

Impact drill

Ayuh,... No problem,...
Especially considerin' yer a Maineiac....

I'm a Maineiac in exile,... still got a place Downeast though...
Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Impact drill

well...technically...AFAIK...there are hammer drills....and impact drivers....I'm not familiar with the term impact drill...so is that an alternative term for a hammer drill....?? or impact driver? or...neither?

Edit to add...I'm not a Mainiac...but I am a M@sshole in exile!
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Impact drill

Hammer Drill: used for drilling concrete and masonry. Most have a switch to turn the impact on or off and you have a nice electric drill for drilling wood also. Cordless and corded versions available. I like corded in this application, because it never slows down.

Impact Driver: used for driving screws and hex head bolts. Uses a series of impacts to turn the fastener past sticking points. Compact and good to use in tight spaces where a regular drill may not fit.

Impact Wrench (also electric and cordless versions available): generally for mechanic usage. Removes and tightens nuts & bolts. Cordless versions are not all that different from an impact driver, but larger. Has a square chuck instead of the typical drill chuck or 1/4" quick-release impact driver chuck.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #12

Impact drill

^^^ Yup.

Never heard of a hammer drill called an impact before. An impact drill seems to be an umbrella term for both impact drivers and impact wrenches. Over here, it's this:

Hammer drill = clutch driven drill that delivers bumps for concrete and masonry drilling.

Rotary hammer = piston driven drill that does what a hammer drill does better, and can also run in "bump only" mode for chiselling.

Impact driver = drill that only accepts 1/4" hex bits, and uses a spring-loaded impact mechanism to produce more torque without requiring a superhuman grip. Good for deck building, as it is quick and allows better control over fastener depth. I would finish off lag bolts by hand though, to avoid stripping them. As the chuck tends to spin much faster than a standard drill, I also use them with a drywall bit when a drywall gun is not available (edit: actually, I use my impact wrench, but I'm just going to write here why I think they're useful). Typically delivers ~100-150 ft-lbs of torque.

Impact wrench = an impact drill with a 1/2" or 3/8" square head to attach sockets to; normally comes with an adapter to use 1/4" hex bits with. You may need this type for carriage bolts in deck building, or for working on cars (great for pounding off rusted bolts). Typically has greater torque than an impact driver, around 200-250 ft-lbs. A pneumatic impact wrench, of course, delivers the most torque of all, ~400-600 ft-lbs.

Last edited by Squishy; 11-24-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #13

Impact drill

An impact drill/driver "impacts" with far less power but far more frequency than a hammer drill. They are two different tools for two different purposes. If you do a lot of ...erm...screwing, use an impact drill/driver. I use my Makita ALL the time. It drives screws fast and effortlessly even overhead but the one draw back is that it is noisy.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #14

Impact drill

oh yeah, and they do make impact driver bits, but I haven't had much more luck with them than some regular bits
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 258

Impact drill

Another great use for an impact driver is for putting screws in cement backer board.

Advertisement

speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote